Occupational therapists and paramedics form a mutually beneficial alliance to reduce the pressure on hospitals

Read Full Text: Occupational therapists and paramedics form a mutually beneficial alliance to reduce the pressure on hospitals: A practice analysis (Paid article, but we thought it was important to cover)
Journal: British Journal of Occupational Therapy
Year Published: 2018

With racial injustice at the forefront of our national consciousness, many of us are learning that the very systems that keep our country running are directly contributing to racial inequities.

These systems need to change.

This week, we looked for an article that showcased how OT could be part of a new future that is more equitable.

While the article we found doesn’t exactly provide a silver-bullet solution, I hope it does get you excited about new ways that we might be part of upstream solutions. After all, outdated and unjust systems permeate our hospitals, our schools, our prisons, and even our first responder crews.

This article examines a program in Scotland, where OTs and paramedics teamed up to create an alternative pathway of care to reduce hospital admissions.

Shifting our focus to keeping people out of the hospital in the first place

In the Club, we’ve already discussed how OTs help reduce hospital readmissions—and we’ve also covered how post-hospital syndrome makes it critical that people stay in the hospital only when absolutely necessary.

But, there simply aren’t enough OTs working to keep our clients out of the hospital in the first place.

Maybe now is the time to reimagine a new way of doing things!

As the article points out, emergency department (ED) visitors are often not dealing with life-threatening emergencies. Instead, people often go to the ED for non-emergency matters, such as:

• Relapses in chronic conditions
  • Breakdowns in social care
  • Function difficulties (such as decreased mobility)

While we can look at this list and easily see that these problems likely wouldn’t be solved by an ED visit, most paramedics will automatically take patients to the ED by default.

This is where OT has the potential to lend our skillset. In the UK, evidence is already pointing to the value of occupational therapy working in partnership with emergency services—notably with fire and rescue. And, this article seeks to expand our role even further.

What was the aim of the particular practice analysis?

This paper reports on a structural learning program that was developed at an ambulance station in Scotland. In this program, OT professionals and paramedics worked together to learn about each other’s respective skillsets and clinical reasoning, in an attempt to develop an alternative care pathway beyond sending patients to the hospital.

The process began with shadowing

To begin learning the process of developing an alternative care pathway, an OT rode along on two 12 hour shifts with an ambulance crew.

The OT and paramedics worked together to chart how many of the calls might have benefited from allied health interventions. They noted the cases where, had an allied health professional been involved, hospital admission might have been prevented (or the quality of life improved).

Notably, 23% of the calls potentially could have benefited from an allied health professional.

Next came awareness sessions

90-minute awareness sessions were then held for anyone who would be involved in the alternative care pathway. They were led by a team composed of:

• An OT
  • A paramedic
  • A falls coordinator
  • A member of the integrated care and enablement team

The focus of the sessions was to develop a shared understanding of the need for a creative alternative to hospital admissions.

The session began with an overview of why a new pathway was needed, notably the negative impact hospital admissions have on vulnerable groups.

Next, a clinical decision algorithm was introduced to the existing framework used by paramedics. This new algorithm incorporated the direct referral to a multidisciplinary team, through a single point of contact.

Finally the group looked at two case studies and discussed how the new algorithm might play out in a real-life scenario.

5 months after the initial shadowing experience, the pilot program was launched

When the pilot program was launched, paramedics could contact a multidisciplinary team directly from the service-users’ homes, and immediately make the appropriate referral.

One of the key success metrics they were looking for was the reduction of the current rate of being transferred to a hospital from 38% down to 25%.

In the first two weeks of the program, there was a median reduction from 38%-28%.

Takeaways for OT practitioners:

1. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” –Margaret Mead

This article served as a good reminder for me about how change comes about, in our complex seemingly immovable systems. It usually involves a small group of individuals, who are willing to put in consistent work over months and years. There are lots of meetings. Time is taken to listen and work to get buy-in. And, outcomes are tracked. Sometimes, bringing about the seemingly radical change we want looks pretty boring :slight_smile:

Imagine if every OT was part of one such group seeking change. Imagine how much of a difference we could make as a profession over the next 5 years.

2. For some reason, our systems have evolved to focus on downstream problems. It’s time to look upstream.

While this article did not speak specifically to racism and health inequities, it did speak to shifting the focus of our care more upstream. And, this is a consistent solution I see in almost every article reducing health inequalities.

Last week, @rebecca12 shared this amazing article on reducing racial inequalities in health. (I highly recommend reading it. As the author put it in the conclusion:

“Initiatives are required to shift the health care system from a narrow focus on treatment to emphasize preventing disease and providing timely, appropriate, high-quality care for all that is tailored to the culture and context of each patient.”

3. Those of us in the US may look at this program, scratch our heads, and ask, “Who would pay for this?”

For us in the US, it is really hard to imagine programs like the one mentioned above, because we seem so ingrained in our fee-for-service models. Simply put: why would our hospitals want to reduce admissions when that is how they make money??

I believe we will shift from fee-for-service care to value based care in our lifetime, because it makes more sense to pay for keeping people healthy.

Even though it’s hard to imagine how this change will ever come about, I feel confident it will be small groups of committed professionals, doing lots of seemingly boring work (meetings, task-forces, committees, outcome tracking, etc.) that will ultimately bring about this seismic shift.

(Possibly) Earn CEUs/PDUs for reading this article.

Many of you can receive continuing education credits for reading this article. Here’s a form to help you do it, along with information to help you understand who qualifies.

And, here’s the full APA citation you many need:

Preston, J., Galloway, M., Wilson, R., Mcnamee, L., Deans, Y., & Mcghee, G. (2018). Occupational therapists and paramedics form a mutually beneficial alliance to reduce the pressure on hospitals: A practice analysis. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 81(6), 358–362. doi: 10.1177/0308022618757412

2 Likes

@SarahLyon thank you for another inspiring article. I specifically appreciate the encouragement to open ourselves up to picking a cause or group to sit with, relate with, serve and GROW with while advocating for a new focus on equity for all.

I live in Phoenix and am opening myself to possibilities because I ironically see the article being a great fit for plugging in home health and have wondered why home health doesn’t do more talks with… emergency responders (for all the same reasons in the article).

You highlight something that I feel is a challenge amidst change and it’s patience, knowing that these things just take time and a lot of little, consistent efforts.

This article inspires me to actually share the idea with my company about talking with emergency responders (or maybe writing more articles). Another group I’m curious about locally is Habitat for Humanity as I see their work very much in alignment with equitable quality of life for all.

And actually, both hospitals and home health companies are financially at risk of losing out on reimbursement if clients are quickly rehospitalized (PDGM) so the incentive is actually HERE.

Has anyone been part of any committees already where they are seeing this change? How did you find the committee? What’s been working?

9 Likes

Ha! I like that you mentioned, “If you’re in the US, you’re probably thinking, ‘Who would pay for this?’” I had exactly that thought, but I like that @monika mentioned with hospitals getting dinged for readmissions, the incentive has arrived!

Also, I love that the OT’s shadowed the paramedics!! Such a thorough design. We all know you can get so much more accomplished doing that then merely in explaining what you’re day looks like.

I also echo @monika in affirming your point, @SarahLyon, that it requires patience and boring things! I practice in pediatrics, and I read a series of reviews of research in inequality in EI. I think the equivalent for Peds OT to that system and this article would maybe be shadowing pediatricians who engage with families and make referrals for EI. Or perhaps social workers, or whoever is educating families on the process? I’ve also heard about OT’s being present at Dr.s’ offices to be part of a developmental screening once a month or something to that effect. Things to consider.

5 Likes

I was literally wondering the past week if EI services were one of our most equitable systems, since as an outsider to that practice area I always felt like there was so much formal structure and protocols. If you would be willing to share the links to research reviews you were looking at, I would love to see them!!

Oooo and I totally agree about shadowing/working to form a closer relationship with pediatricians. We looked at an awesome article on OT and primary care, a couple weeks ago. And, OTs in pediatric primary care came up in comments, but I haven’t found any information on places where this is actually happening. It seems so logical!

1 Like

I was thinking of you and @lauro as I was writing this article, because it seemed like SUCH a good fit home health OTs.

@monika, did you see this handout from the UK? I thought it was really well done. I’ll keep looking for resources like this this week! Let me know how we can support you in your brainstorming.

Hmm. I don’t know the best way to share. It’s from an EI provider’s instagram page. Here is the link to her page/one of the posts: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA8F-tlBSla/

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for sharing those stats! I want to go and read the full report! @OT4LyfeSarah, these stats made me think of you as well. The particular article they were citing is a little older than we usually cover, but please let me know if you ever come across more recent research! (We try to stick within the past 5 years.) I would love to dig into this topic further in the Club!

It is just so clear that whatever system we work in that health inequities exist, and hopefully it will be the work of our generation to help right them.

1 Like

Thank you @SarahLyon for summarizing this and bringing us into this arena! This topic has been on my mind with talks throughout the country on how a community task force could fill some of the needs that have not been filled by our current systems in place. These sorts of topics are the heart of what OT is to me. I loved how the expertise of breaking down tasks, building rapport, and focusing on prevention in wellness was highlighted with the fire and rescue partnership. I wonder if our universities and existing non profits would be a starting place to partnerships with OTs for our upstream focus.

5 Likes

@Emily_PolovickMoulds, I agree that it seems like a logical step would be community task force to bring together existing non-profits and better coordinate efforts. This is the approach that the Blue Zones takes (if you’re not familiar with the Blue Zones here’s a summary.) I know in my community, several non-profit leaders read the Blue Zone book and there was some enthusiasm about coordinating services more closely…I might need to try to resurrect this in my own community :slight_smile:

If only we had better financial incentives for coordinating the efforts and focusing on upstream solutions…!!

1 Like

I am so excited by this conversation! I also work in home health and immediately thought that home care would be a great fit into upstream.

The pilot program the article looks at reminds me of my company’s push to “call us first”- meaning have patients call the 24/7 nursing line for triage to determine what action is most appropriate- an extra home health visit, moving up a follow up visit to a doctor, or going to the ER- with the goal of reducing unnecessary visit to the ER or hospital. Making this type of triaging a part of the first responder system could be really effective at keeping people out of hospitals.

The Program of all-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) could be a useful framework. When I worked at my local PACE as a student, most ER staff knew of the program and called the staff if one of the participants ended up in the ER to determine if PACE could address their needs without hospitalization. So educating ER staff on community resources (like the decision making protocol that the article developed) or having OTs in the ER could be a potential way to upstream.

The Fire and Rescue handout that @SarahLyon posted is super interesting. It hadn’t occurred to me before you posted it, but my city’s fire department has a preventative outreach program already in place. They complete home visits to assess for fire hazards, ensure smoke alarms are functioning and connect people with community resources to improve safety- Habitat for Humanity to install stair rail or a company that corrects uneven concrete walkways at discounted rates. These are things that I do as a HHC OT. But the fire department can reach more people than just the patients currently on my service. I wonder if my company could partner with this program to reach more people before they get to the hospital.

We could also team up with first responders who are called for lift assist. My city does not charge for first responders assisting people up from falls, but many surrounding areas do. Maybe fall assist could be provided for free on the condition that people allow a follow up OT visit to problem solve factors that led to the fall and how to prevent it.

4 Likes

@rebecca12 I love the idea of community fall assist programs helping for free if they agree to an OT eval. I’ve connected with a community program run by one of the suburban fire dept and they said that those calls for falls really cost the Dept a lot of money in resources and salaries (which is why some Dept’s charge) but since they started the community program which consists of 2 fire fighters that serve kind of like social workers and try to connect the frequent fall-ers with the right resource to prevent the fall again, they’ve noticed a significant decline in fall calls. The trouble is they is no reimbursement from insurance for it so the fire Dept is paying for it in order to save money on the other end. OT would be a great fit with these programs especially if it could be connected with a local hospital who could fund it so they don’t get dinged for readmissions.

3 Likes

OMG @SarahLyon and @lauro–that handout is amazing. @CuriosOT that idea about being in MD offices is so solid. Have you thought of having students start it? I’ve thought of just asking locally even here in AZ about MD offices (especially those that serve the Black community) to even just offer a free consulting option once a month. It seems the next step for OTs… bridge to primary care.
@rebecca12 I love those ideas and it inspires me to see if there is a PACE here or what programs are already in place with the Fire Departments–and love the mention of Habitat for Humanity. They are my top local organization that I hope to increase participation with in the next 12 months. Such great and uplifting ideas! Thank you all. This community gives me so much hope.

1 Like

I have not had a chance yet. Busy day, but will take. Look in raw next couple of days.

Lauro

2 Likes

Sorry, just seeing this now! I haven’t thought about having students start that, but that is an AWESOME idea. We usually have our students do a project for fieldwork, and that would be such a good one!!

What a wonderful article! In addition to be an OT, and am also a retired EMT. In fact, I received my certifications for both on the same day! When I think back, I often used my OT skills while on EMS calls. Sometimes it was as basic as knowing how to safely transfer a person to a litter. But other times it was making observations about a persons home setup, disorganization, and/or outright safety issues. I then passed this information on to the nurse in the ED and the social worker/case manager if they were available. I would also talk to my patients about the benefits of OT on the ride to the hospital (which could be long in our rural setting).

@SarahLyon, thank you for choosing to review this article. It gives me ideas for learning activities in the Mental Health and Adults courses that I teach.

1 Like