Point prevalence study of mobilization practices for acute respiratory failure patients in the United States

Read Full Text: Point prevalence study of mobilization practices for acute respiratory failure patients in the United States (Free to access)
Journal: Critical Care Medicine
Year Published: 2017
Ranked 69th on our 2015-2020 list of the 100 most influential OT-related articles

I’m consistently amazed by how relevant our list of influential articles is to our daily practice. Case in point: this week’s article speaks directly to why OT services are so critical in this era of COVID-19.

The article looks at early mobility for mechanically ventilated patients.

Early mobility for this group is considered safe and feasible, and might even improve functional outcomes. But, sadly, not enough patients who would benefit from this intervention actually receive it.

This relatively large study tracked how often early mobilization occurred across 17 hospitals across the US—and the results point to OT being significantly underutilized.

I think this article is an important read for all of us, in part because it highlights the importance of our role specifically during this pandemic. But, timeliness aside, the article also provides a critical look into the variation of early mobility efforts from hospital to hospital—and the authors speculate on why these differences might exist. (Hint: it involves systems and workplace cultures.)

What we already know about early mobilization for mechanically ventilated patients.

First of all, we know that patients who survive acute respiratory failure (ARF) can experience long-term medical complications, functional impairments, and decreased quality of life.

Providing early OT/PT in the ICU is intended to help counteract these risks, and it has been shown to improve functional outcomes when acute respiratory patients are ultimately discharged from the hospital.

Unfortunately, patients just aren’t being mobilized early enough, nor often enough. Studies from Germany, Australia, and New Zealand have shown that most mechanically ventilated patients do not receive early mobility at all. In fact, in one study, only 3% of patients who were mechanically ventilated were able to sit edge-of-bed during the research period, and none of them advanced to standing, transferring to a chair, or walking.

How did this study add to the body of knowledge?

Prior to this week’s study, no formal research had explored the prevalence of early mobilization in mechanically ventilated patients—well, not specifically in the US. Thus, the researchers wanted to:

• Report prevalence of OT/PT-provided mobility among respiratory failure patients in the US
  • Define the types and frequencies of different kinds of ICU mobility
  • Identify factors associated with mobility progression

How was the study structured?

17 hospitals in the ARDS Network committed to tracking mobility events on two separate study dates. (FYI, the NIH-NHLBI ARDS Network was a research network formed to study treatment of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.)

The study dates were on different days of the week to account for staffing differences.

Real-time recording of mobility events took place at bedside on custom report forms. Study coordinators also interviewed staff members to record their rationale when mobilization was deferred.

The researchers tracked:

• All mobility events (range of motion, being passively moved to a chair, bed exercises, sitting edge of bed, standing, transferring to a chair, marching in place, walking)
  • Therapist-led mobility events
  • Adverse events

For statistical analysis, the researchers also gathered information from medical records, paying particular attention to the following assessments:

Patients who were included were all:

• 18+ years old
  • Diagnosed with acute respiratory failure at some point during their ICU stay, requiring > 48 hours of mechanical ventilation
  • Ongoing mechanical ventilation was not required, so some participating patients had already come off ventilation

What were the results?

All mobility events

Patients received some type of mobility on 65% of the tracked dates. (But, keep in mind this mobility could have simply been PROM.)

Activity delivered in the absence of OT/PT was found to be of lower intensity, overall.

Therapist-provided mobility

Therapist-provided mobility took place on 32% of tracked dates. Patients who were not mechanically ventilated were much more likely to receive OT/PT than mechanically ventilated patients (48% versus 26%).

OT/PT involvement was strongly associated with progression to out-of-bed mobility.

Adverse events

Seven potential safety events occurred on .9% of tracked dates. These included:

• New arrhythmias (3)
  • Oxygen desaturation (2)
  • Hypotension (1)
  • Endotracheal dislodgment (1) (This occurred during an in-bed PROM session.)

Variance between hospitals

There was a significant variance in findings between the hospitals. OT/PT participation varied from 7% in one hospital to 74% in another hospital.

What did the authors discuss/conclude?

This article builds on previous studies that suggest that therapist involvement may increase mobility progression.

The findings of this article also complement previous research positing that dedicated ICU therapists may enhance access to mobility.

However, the authors caution us that staffing more therapists, alone, may not be enough to create better outcomes for patients. Systems and hospital culture also seem to play a significant role.

Stepwise progression through a therapy-driven protocol has been shown to increase mobility for patients, and even reduce mortality rates in a group of respiratory patients. A number of studies have also shown the need for broad, multidisciplinary ICU culture change in order to truly have widespread acceptance of ICU mobility.

Takeaways for OT practitioners:

1. We have a critical role to play for patients who are mechanically ventilated for ARF due to COVID.

This article provides evidence that OT may be underutilized in your ICU, which is especially critical to consider as ICUs around the globe have managed (and will continue to manage) a number of mechanically ventilated patients.

I hope this research (and the cited articles within it) is able to provide a valuable and actionable resource for you as you consider how we can better serve our ICU patients.

2. We need to remember the importance of functional early mobility.

We OTs know that mobility is just one step toward our end goal of improving long-term functional status for our patients.

So, while early mobility is important—especially for our ARF patients—do not forget about the importance of incorporating functional tasks, and beginning to think long-term for these patients. In this previous article, we discussed how early mobility, alone, is unlikely to be enough to improve long-term outcomes.

3. To really make a difference, we need to look beyond our individual care to the systems we are working in.

Again and again, we are reminded that just “doing our best” isn’t always enough for our patients. To really improve outcomes, we need to look at the culture of our workplaces—as well as the systems they have created.

Systems are hard to change. They are slow to change. But, a change in systems may be the difference between a ICU where 3% of the patients receive early mobility and an ICU where 74% receive therapist-led mobility. This kind of difference in potentially life-altering care is more than one person can achieve. It makes all of the hard work worth it.

(Possibly) Earn CEUs/PDUs for reading this article.

Many of you can receive continuing education credits for reading this article. Here’s a form to help you do it, along with information to help you understand who qualifies.

And, here’s the full APA citation you many need:

Jolley, S. E., Moss, M., Needham, D. M., Caldwell, E., Morris, P. E., Miller, R. R., … Hough, C. L. (2017). Point Prevalence Study of Mobilization Practices for Acute Respiratory Failure Patients in the United States. Critical Care Medicine, 45(2), 205–215. doi: 10.1097/ccm.0000000000002058

What I heard in reading this article is the need for OT to routinely make the CAM-ICU part of the ICU evaluation process. It takes less than 5 minutes and would provide the cognitive status we need to back up intervention and goal outcomes, not to mention support safety awareness concerns.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you keyed in on that aspect of the article, because I didn’t get to flesh that point out very fully, and there was a really good discussion on the CAM-ICU/delirium in the article!

There was a really good paragraph about the CAM-ICU in the discussion section that anyone working in the ICU should read! Basically, daily delirium assessment should be a daily practice for anyone on ventilation, but one previous study had found it was only happening 31% of the time. I agree that OT could definitely be part of the solution to having it administered more frequently!

The article also highlighted that early mobility has been associated with decreased delirium duration. They cited this article to support that:

Early physical and occupational therapy in mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients.

Another great article. (It’s fun to start Monday mornings with these hits of inspiration.)

What I’m left pondering is why more therapy is not being initiated. I know you mentioned the systems–that also being the education system of referrals. Could this be a form or article someone writes to the hospitals (or local newspapers?) to advocate all the reasons. Lol. I think I just gave myself a little weekend task for here in AZ to try;)

I wonder for those acute therapists out there, what is the training you get about early mobility? Is is sufficient? I wonder if more training is also needed from OTs to OTs about doing early mobility (as I know it can often be a 2-person assist situation).

How else could we help influence (educate) the system for the better? Thanks again for the read!

6 Likes

Sarah,
Thanks for another interesting and valuable topic. In our hospital, I recall we had started “early mobilization in the ICU” many years ago (after we came back all excited from the AOTA conference in Indianapolis where this topic was presented). Focus groups and teams of OT/PT were setup to work in ICU Neuro and Med surg ICU. We read articles, had in-services from the respiratory/nsg staff on Lab values, vent settings etc. A team of one OT and one PT were assigned to the Neuro and Medical ICU. One of us called the unit every morning to find the RASS scores (prior to electronic documentation) of patients so we could plan our day. I don’t recall doing the CAM-ICU. Most of our assessments and interventions were done jointly. EOB and chair activities were common. Simple grooming tasks at EOB, toileting in the ICU bathroom and ambulating to the door were our goals. We found that ICU induced delirium was much less in these patients.For vented patients, we would have the RT present with us to protect tubes. But we had our share of accidental dislodging of rectal tubes.
You point that OT appeared to be underutilized in most cases. That was true in my case too due to the small number of OTs versus PTs in acute care. My caseload consisted of Neuro patients on the floor and in the ICU while the PT had only ICU patients. So, at times, I had to choose who I was going to see on that day. That definitely affected the outcome for those patients.
I found another recent study which states that " Evidence suggests that programs which use a set protocol have a multidisciplinary approach, address knowledge gaps, and occur in a setting with a culture that embraces quality improvement have had the greatest impact on patient outcomes". In this study,though both OT and PT were involved, ambulation was chosen as the outcome of interest because it was considered the highest level of mobility. They hypothesized that successful increase in ambulation likely corresponds to an increase in other mobility events. However, they were not able to measure other events due to documentation inconsistencies.
I think mobility is used as an outcome in most cases since it is easy to measure unlike other functional tasks.
Linke, C. A., Chapman, L. B., Berger, L. J., Kelly, T. L., Korpela, C. A., & Petty, M. G. (2020). Early Mobilization in the ICU. Critical Care Explorations, 2 (4). doi:10.1097/cce.0000000000000090

3 Likes

Monika, my thought process aligns with yours where I see two main needs: education and leadership. Really both result in the need for leadership. Evidence like this shows us the importance of OT and PT providing mobility to improve functional outcomes, and though there are always staffing and time constraints and sometimes system barriers, these are opportunities for OTs to take a leadership role by educating ourselves on the subject matter and taking steps to bring about change. I think we sometimes shy away from the idea of leadership, thinking management and large project proposals, but you don’t have to be in a leadership position to demonstrate leadership qualities. Last week’s article was a good example of OTs taking a leadership role. Leadership involves identifying an issue or need, gathering information about that issue, then starting to take small steps to address it.

5 Likes

Hi Monika!

When I worked at a large hospital institution on the east coast, we had a 3 day optional intensive for early mobilization in our ICU. Afterwards, I felt comfortable providing functional mobility with a vent and all the needed lines with respiratory on standby.

3 Likes

When I started work at a trauma hospital as a float OT, I would have LOVED to have an intensive orientation to mobility in the ICU. I did a two week orientation to the setting, but mobilization training was minimal. I wonder if settings like I was in could get their hands on a the material for an intensive training, and incorporate it into their orientations for their rehab staff?

And, I agree with @Lifelong_Learner! Changes like better training and better systems take
good leadership…and the willingness to take lots of little steps to making change happen.

I do think that reading and sharing research like this is a great starting point to creating change, as it can help get different disciplines on the same page. (In fact, I’ve heard from other Club members that once you start sharing research, you might become the go-to person for EBP, whether or not you intended to :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hi @sanchala!! I just looked up the Indianapolis Conference and that was in 2012, which was about the time I started working in the ICU as well. I also saw a push toward early mobilization at that time, though more systems were needed to support it.

I was really intrigued that you actually saw a reduction in delirium in the patients that were being mobilized. It looks like the research supporting a reduction in delirium through early mobilization has come out since 2012, which might explain why the CAM-ICU was not being emphasized.

And, THANK YOU for the awesome research you found! I feel like the amazing quote you highlighted could apply to any setting :slight_smile:

@ann3 I’d love to see more standardization for assessments like CAM-ICU. ICU hasn’t been a place that OT has had as strong a voice as PT (in my experience managing OTs seeing patients in the ICU). I also agree with the culture of a unit having a lot to do how much of an effect OTs (and rehab in general) can have as a long term impact. Have you used the CAM-ICU?

1 Like

@Lifelong_Learner I completely agree. I don’t see (again my experience) as many OT’s in rehabilitation system leadership in medical settings like the ICU. I also think that many OT’s shy away from the critical nature of these patients, likely based on lack of support and mentorship, etc. In the acute care OT group I managed, we provided support and mentorship of OT’s interested in ICU to increase their skills and improve their comfort level. It was also a requirement for all OT’s to rotate through the ICU and some of my staff created ICU competencies to improve our overall comfort and skill level in this area of practice. I agree on the need for leadership wholeheartedly - if we’re not at the table, we don’t have a voice!

2 Likes

Not only do I want us to be at the table, I want us to be LEADING the discussion with research like this guide us :wink:

2 Likes

ABSOLUTELY!! We have some work to do! :muscle:

1 Like

That’s wonderful and holy buckets (inspiring as a standard actually!) Thanks for sharing @HollyAnn and welcome to the community:)

1 Like

YES! AMEN! @SarahLyon, @lauren2 and @Lifelong_Learner. What do ya’ll think we need to do to be AT the table (for these conversations) more often and as LEADERS vs just sitting at the table?

Clarice Miller once said in an interview I did with her about home health for the podcast that “If you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu.” (eek, but true!)

1 Like

Hi Monica, I think by first educating ourselves and second starting to talk about whatever issue is a way to be at the table and a leader of change. For example, if I am working in the ICU I can start talking to the nurses about what EBP says about the benefits of early mobility (I mean what nurse wouldn’t be interested in having a less-delirious patient?!), then as I’m talking to more nurses and demonstrating by doing, nursing and I can also start talking to the physicians about early OT orders, specifically for early mobilization. I see next steps after that to include gathering and educating my OT/health professional team, then working together to capture and disseminate the outcomes in the form of lunch meetings, team meetings, rounds, inservices, conferences, and written manuscripts for publication! I think one important point is that it’s not a fast, immediate results process. We have to be committed to be a leader and change agent for the duration.

2 Likes

I’m loving this Megan. Thank you. Every step of it is so inspiring and such a great reminder. There IS a process. And it is NOT fast. May we be consistent and speaking up. Thanks again for taking the time to write and share. Keep it up too!!

“We have to be committed to be a leader and change agent for the duration.” Cheers to commitment, leadership and durations:)

I don’t have much more to say about this other than preach!!! As an acute care therapy provider, the results in the practical evidence (when working directly with our clients who are on mechanical ventilation) speak for itself. However, it’s great to see it in a supporting article to continue to create programs for hospitals who do not yet have robust (And well designed)early mobilization programs.

1 Like