Welcome to The OT Potential Club!

Hello :wave: excited to be part of this forum. I think this is a great way for me to stay informed about all the current EBT in occupational therapy. It is also a way to hold myself accountable to keep learning.

1 Like

Hi @Ami! I totally agree with what you said about accountability! I know I am very socially motivated, so being part of a group of peers really pushes me to think critically about the research. And, each week I just feel so encouraged by people’s comments in the threads.

I’m very glad to have you in our community, and look forward to future discussions!

Hi @alana! I am also in a rural area (over here in NE) I feel like this current push toward telehealth is going to complete change the way our practices look in the future. As hopefully people will realize that we can be providing services to a much wider area beyond those who are regularly able to actually make it to our physical clinics.

Are you currently able to be reimbursed for telehealth in your setting?

@ann3, hi!!! I’m re-reading what I wrote early and realized it was super confusing. I meant “I can see job openings” in the sense that “I can anticipate job openings.” Right now, I know that facilities in my area are just trying to hold steady and aren’t hiring yet. But, I’m seeing states trying to expand temporary licenses in anticipation of needing to add to their workforce. Are you seeing openings in TX?

Hi great to be here
I have a child development centre in Dubai, UAE.
We are looking at introducing teletherapy to support our children during this time however it also has lots of benefits for continued use to support children who cant easily access therapy. Im searching for information and research on how to deliver the therapy online and how effective it is? Would love to hear from other therapists who have experience with this. We use sensory integration therapy for babies to teenagers.

1 Like

Hi @ann3, Here’s one resource you might want to start checking for opportunities in your area—they are gathering open travel positions that are related to COVID needs:

https://jobs.nomadicare.com/response/

@laura8, do you anticipate OT positions joining this list? I was surprised by the number of SLP positions…

Welcome, @sheena!! It is so great to have you in here! I always love interacting with therapists from Dubai! Someday, I hope to visit your beautiful city!

I wanted to let you know that we just launched the beginnings of our list of research articles to help with tele-health OT. My hope is that this list will grow significantly over the next few days.

We also have multiple threads going on different telehealth topics in light of COVID-19, so I hope you can find a place to ask any questions you have!

Hi @SarahLyon. I am an old therapist that does not learn new tricks easily…however, I do think that adding this Telehealth ability will be an excellent adjunct to our clinic, and I am looking forward to it. We have not yet done a session in our clinic but have some scheduled for next week. Our biller is confident about reimbursement at least for now. I read on the Co OT association website that Colorado Medicaide will reimburse and that for now we will use codes as if the visit occurred in the clinic. I feel like we will be doing things one way for the next few weeks but over that time we will need to be evolving to a more permanent way of doing things in terms of platforms and billing.

1 Like

Thanks Sarah…I am a recent COTA grad who does travel assignments where I am often the only therapist in in the SNF so I am excited about OT Potential Club with the resources and therapy experiences. mrphillip343@gmail.com

1 Like

Hello! I’ve been practicing OT for 26 yrs and found this forum while searching for information and advice for Telehealth due to covid19. I look forward to interacting with other OTs and hope I can help others as well!

1 Like

Ack! Sorry @laura11 that I am a whole week late in welcoming you to the Club! Welcome! Have you found some tele-health help like you were looking for? I’m looking forward to future interactions with you, and working together to navigate the many changes we are all fielding. I hope you are well today.

Hi @phillip!! It is is so great to have a traveling COTA here! I usually try to keep my eyes on the travel market via Nomadicare, and will be curious to see how the virus continues to impact the market…

But, for the time being, it sounds like you a settled into a SNF. I was in a similar situation (lone OT at a rural hospital/SNF) when I was a new grad, and that was where the idea for the Club first began! So, I hope you are able to find community and resources here!

Hello! @SarahLyon I LOVED that video you have on the website that describes your “Why”-I couldn’t join fast enough after watching it!

I’m an OT based in mental health-I work at a forensic psychiatric hospital. I just celebrated my 3 year “OT-versary” (I just made that up). I’ve found that it’s pretty easy to become stale and get in a rut with treatment/assessments, so I’m happy to be a part of this club to keep my perspective fresh and to stay in the know for all the cool things happening in OT!

1 Like

Hi everyone, looking forward to learning more about paediatric OT through this community.

1 Like

Hi @Mel! It is so great to have you in here! We love our pediatric therapists! Here’s the pediatric topics we’ve covered in the past year, and I’m looking forward to more learning and conversation in the upcoming year!

https://club.otpotential.com/tag/pediatrics

Ahhh! I’m so happy to meet another forensic psych OT! I worked briefly in that setting and LOVED it!! (This reminds me that I need to recruit my old co-worker into the Club—forensic OTs of the world UNITE!)

Here are two article that specifically made me think of the psych setting when I read them:

And, next week’s article is actually on psychosis…I’m excited to share it. The content is super interesting.

Finally, I’m so glad you like our video!! We had so much fun making it!!!

I am Dr. Lynne La Corte; Lynne F. La Corte, PhD, OTR/L, Psych. Reg., OTD

Neonatal, Pediatric, and Adult Occupational Therapy Consultation
WWW.Kidsoccupationaltherapy.com;http://www.kidsoccupationaltherapy.com/
I am interested in furthering the role of OT in children’s mental health. I am licensed in Colorado and New Mexico. My Psych. registration is through DORA (Colorado’s dept of reg. agencies). There is a psychotherapy board. Is anyone out there actually providing psych OT? I worked as a mental health coordinator for head start for 2 years and decided to become part of the mental health consortium for Colorado. I am wondering which CPT codes to use for psychosocial OT. Are we being reimbursed for our psych OT services? Thank you, Lynne

970- 4330981

1 Like

Hi Dr. LaCorte!
It is so great to have in the Club! I’m personally very interested in OT and mental health, and so I love that interested in advancing this cause. It looks like you have the perfect background to do so.

I’m not sure about your question about CPT codes. But, I wondered if the therapy clinics I’m pasting below are doing something similar to what you are thinking?

https://www.wildrootstherapy.org/
https://reddoorpediatric.com/

Hello!
My name is Shay-Lynn and I am a new OT working in Canada. I live in Newfoundland and service clients remotely in British Columbia. I started a remote online therapy role servicing kids about a month ago, and due to the current state of the world I am receiving more and more referrals. I primarily work with children who have been diagnosed with Autism but many have multiple functional difficulties the kiddos and their families are looking for help with (sensory challenges, self-regulation, fine motor, crossing midline, emotional intelligence, and so on).

I’m excited to have joined this club that organizes a search for up to date research AND lets me see multiple clinicians opinions and experiences. Looking through some of the discussions makes me feel like I have co-workers which I really needed :heart:

1 Like

Hi Shay-Lynn!! It is so great to have you in here- I love the work you are doing, and it definitely aligns with the interests of us here in the Club!

Have you seen our article from last week about occupation-based coaching?

https://club.otpotential.com/t/occupation-based-coaching-by-means-of-telehealth-for-families-of-young-children-with-autism-spectrum-disorder/364

We are excited to be your “co-workers!” So many of us work in settings with limited peer support, and it feels more important than ever to band together…