Suggest topics and articles for future review!

Hi all!

During 2021, we are working through a list of the 100 most influential OT-related journal articles.

But, we would also love to know if there are any topics or specific journal articles that you would like to see us review in the future!

Leave your ideas below!

THE CO-OP APPROACH.http://co-opacademy.ca/

Yay! Thanks for the suggestion! I’m thinking next year we will again work through a top list of influential articles, but also seek out research on specific interventions like this one.

@katie are you familiar with this approach?

Yes I am! I use it with older kids or kids with Developmental Coordination Disorder.

1 Like

We can chat about this more, but maybe this could be our next research topic?

Sounds good! I’ve used an article on it in the past that I really liked so I can see if there’s any new research on top of that.

1 Like

I have heard it talked about before. This article is what peeked my interest again…

https://www.seekfreaks.com/index.php/2019/09/09/how-a-cartwheel-flipped-my-practice-right-side-up-2/

Katie, could I use this in School Based Setting? I’m thinking about looking into the certification.

I believe it could be utilized in a School-based setting for sure. Not too many tools are needed for it. I didn’t realized there is a certification for it! Can you post some more information about it if you have it?

Hey Sarah
I wonder if we should address the topic of group therapy and protocols or methods as this is now a huge component of most rehab settings with PDPM.
I know that groups were very limited in rehab for several years and a lot of people are struggling with running rehab groups effectively right now.
Thanks for the consideration.

Amanda

2 Likes

Oooo good call, @amanda4! I’m guessing this will take some digging and asking around about this research question, but I will definitely add it to my list!

Hey @erica, just wanted to let you know that we just published an article on The CO-OP Approach! Your suggestion was soooo good. Thanks again for making it! https://club.otpotential.com/t/the-cognitive-orientation-to-daily-occupational-performance-co-op/236

I saw that! Thank you!!

1 Like

Hi! Yes, please! I actually have an article I’d like to suggest, but it’s descriptive cohort design. Anyway, anything sensory and/or psychosis/clinical high risk for psychosis related. The article is Parham LD, Roush S, Downing DT, Michael PG and McFarlane WR. Sensory characteristics of youth at clinical high risk for psychosis. Early Intervention in Psychiatry. 2019; 13:264-271.

THANK YOU for this forum. Your podcasts are very informative, concise and easy to follow as well.

1 Like

Hey @Lesa! This article looks awesome! I just penciled it in for mid-March. Just early today, I was thinking that March was looking too heavy in adult rehab content, so this is perfect!

Also THANK YOU for the nice compliment on the podcast!! It is a truly a major victory each week if you are feeling like the topics are concise and easy to follow- that is definitely my goal, but the material always feels so complex that I worry about how is translating to listeners!

1 Like

Hello Everyone!
I’m a fieldwork coordinator for an OTA program I want to start a self reflection on emotional intelligence and overall professional behavior prior to the students starting their fieldwork rotations. We have a professional behavior rubric that is really helpful, but we don’t have anything for emotional intelligence. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with measuring or assessing emotional intelligence, or any information for an emotional intelligence assessment they have used.
Thank you all for your help!!

Hey! I have recently been curious about the correlation between epilepsy and learning disorders. It turns out they are often co-morbid and I am realizing a lot of special -ed staff don’t know how to identify absence seizures.

Beyond that, it would be super cool to find any research on epilepsy and occupation-based approaches to management. Some students I work with who have epilepsy note specific interest in rhythmic activities and I am wondering if this is coincidence or if the body-mind connection is at work here?

I hope we can find some useful info! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi. New here and I would love to discuss and learn anything related to geriatrics and mental health. Thanks!!

1 Like

Hi @kerri! I totally thought I responded to this! I’m really interested in helping you find something like this. @lauren2, can you help me brainstorm this?

Hi @regan, this sounds like a really interesting topic to explore. I know we have an epilepsy article coming up, but it is a cost analysis. @katie or @bryden, have either of you done any research on this topic? Or know of any helpful articles we could look at?

Hi @LauraD! Have you seen this article on Dementia yet? I thought it was one of the most helpful resources we have looked at! Also,I thought the article on schizophrenia and exercise was a helpful read, even though it is from 2013! Also, even though this article is about soft neurological signs in ADHD, the diagnosis in which soft neurological signs appear to be the most studied is actually schizophrenia, so the general overview of soft signs might be helpful to you.

This year, we for sure have articles coming up on psychosis and Lewy Body Dementia. Please let me know if there is any other specific topics you would like to look at!