eHealth, participatory medicine, and ethical care

Read Full Text: eHealth, participatory medicine, and ethical care: A focus group study of patients’ and health care providers’ use of health-related internet information
Journal: Journal of Medical Internet Research
Year Published: 2015
Ranked 72nd on our 2015-2020 list of the 100 most influential OT-related articles
CEU Podcast: OT, eHealth, and Participatory Medicine with Lauren Sheehan

In this time of upheaval, OT professionals are navigating an ever-changing maze of legislation, reimbursement, and care-delivery models.

But, this week’s article calls us to refocus on our profession’s most important relationship of all: our relationship with our clients.

This week’s research pushes us to think through our partnerships with our clients. And, it calls us to think about these relationships in terms we might not be accustomed to, such as trust and vulnerability.

This article was published in 2015, as more and more patients were beginning to access health-related information online. This change in patients’ behavior began to shift the traditional relationships they held with providers.

The findings from the article feel even more relevant recently, as concerns about the coronavirus have led many people to research health-related information every day, almost as a ritual. We can only imagine how this practice is going to change healthcare.

Luckily, the article provides insight into focusing on a new set of values, which can help guide us through this time—and, ideally, continue to do so in the future.

A brief orientation to eHealth and participatory medicine.

Some of the terms used in the title of this article initially felt new to me. But, I promise they are concepts you’ll recognize.

Let’s start with “eHealth”…

eHealth is a very broad concept that is used to describe the use of information and communication technologies in health and health-related fields. The term “eHealth” could refer to anything from practicing telehealth to Googling diagnoses.

This paper focuses on a specific subset of eHealth, which is accessing “health related internet information.” In other words, this article focuses on patients and healthcare providers turning to the internet for health information.

Here’s how eHealth has sped the creation of “participatory medicine”…

The internet has basically created a huge shared resource for both patients and providers. And, we have quickly come to take this wealth of information for granted.

However—and this is huge—you have to remember that the ability of patients to participate in their care (“participatory medicine”), on some level, upends centuries of medical research and practice.

Here’s how all of this is shifting what ethical care looks like—including the values that will help us navigate this new era…

We healthcare professionals have had to adapt and evolve over time. In fact, even the values and ethics of healthcare itself are changing—but, we’ve been slow to articulate these changes.

When we think of ethics, we often think of Hippocrates and the old set of values like “do no harm.”

But, this old set of ethics was best suited for a bygone era of medicine, where passive patients looked to providers to “do something” to “fix” them.

Now, with participatory medicine, our care is much more complex and relationship-based—and our values and ethics will need to shift to reflect that.

Which leads us to this paper…

What was the main research question?

The researchers used a focus group to explore how “health related internet information” influenced the relationship between patient and healthcare provider.

They were specifically looking at any challenges that have been created—as well as any values that have helped when navigating such challenges.

Who participated in the focus group?

The focus group consisted of 14 healthcare providers (including occupational therapists!) and 18 patients. All of the patients self-reported a diagnosis of arthritis and at least one other health condition.

What was the structure of the focus group?

The participants were divided into 7 small groups, which met for around 2 hours, and participated in a guided discussion. The main framework of discussion was based around these questions:

1. What types of eHealth and devices do you use?
  2. What sort of things do you use eHealth for?
  3. How does eHealth influence what you do regarding your health condition (patients) or practice (providers), including your interactions with patients/providers?
  4. What do you see as the benefits and drawbacks of eHealth?

The sessions were transcribed. The researchers also searched for emerging themes, then went back and coded the transcriptions according to these themes.

What were the results?

Both patients and providers found that health-related internet information prompted more “interactive and negotiated communication.” This contrasted the older model of healthcare, where providers bestowed knowledge on passive patients.

But, this new model was creating new tensions, which the researchers coded according to these themes:

1. Changing Roles

Patients were feeling the need to prepare more to have productive visits; this preparation helped them better understand their situations and determine which questions to ask during appointments. Preparation enabled patients to use visits for more active discussions. This felt like an overall shift in responsibility, meaning the patients bore more responsibility for actively managing their own care.

1. Partnerships

Healthy patient/provider relationships felt more like partnerships, where trust emerged as a key value—particularly the vulnerability to share what they do not know (the providers) and what wasn’t working for them (patients).

1. Tensions and Burdens

The amount of information out there is so massive, both patients and providers felt the burden of sifting through it and verifying it.

What the authors concluded/discussed

There is no doubt the patient/provider relationship is changing. And, the authors contend that a “relational ethic” offers a framework and values to help navigate this complexity.

That sounds complicated. Yet, the values that make up this relational ethic are familiar to all of us.

These values include:

• Trust
  • Mutuality
  • Responsibility
  • Honesty
  • Vulnerability

These values help us build relationships of mutual respect and reciprocity that involve:

• Sharing knowledge
  • Providing support
  • Recognizing vulnerabilities

All of this leads us to the ultimate goal of shared decision-making and patient-centered care.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

1. OTs are perfectly positioned to be these much-needed relationship-focused healthcare providers.

As I typed those values above, I kept thinking about how OTs already embody these values. Our profession attracts emotionally intelligent practitioners. And, the research seems to tell us, again and again, how necessary these skills are in healthcare today.

2.) This article prompted me to shift my thinking from “How can we survive?” to “How can we strengthen our relationships with our clients?”

Our patients are feeling overwhelmed and uncertain right now. (Just like many of us are.) This is a unique time to focus on strengthening your relationships with patients and leaning into these important values: trust, mutuality, vulnerability, honesty, and responsibility.

Yes, right now we need to continue to advocate—and, in many cases, rework our business models. But, at the heart of all of that advocacy should be these strong relationships with our patients.

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with rehab technology expert (and Club member!), Lauren Sheehan. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

I like how eHealth and access to it enables greater patient knowledge exchange with healthcare providers. The client sits more in the driver’s seat. It is common to think clients trust professionals in what they know and recommend; eHealth can help patients confirm this belief. How do you think lack of internet access in specific client populations shifts this dynamic?

3 Likes

Hello, this interesting article raised at least 2 issues for me to ponder as an Occupational Therapist. 1) how do I see myself in continuity of care? With the overwhelming abundance of information available, where can I use my skills to ENRICH and EDUCATE? 2) are there interventions that can be demonstrated, taught, tried that are beneficial ( well beyond the information and understanding of the pathological influences) ? So that, the time spent together in face-to-face appointments are are meaningful and helping to equip the Patient with a sense of mastery over the health challenge that they are experiencing. I think these two issues point to the role of OT as health educator and skill developer.
Thanks for letting me share. Sheri Barnes OT, Annapolis, MD

5 Likes

Good Afternoon Sarah,
I really enjoyed your perspective on this week’s article. I could not agree with you more about how the OT profession really is made for this change in the healthcare because empathy and adaptation are really our best traits. With the COVID-19 scare running rampant right now I found this article (link below) while thinking of yours and couldn’t help but wonder what your thoughts were on it. The hysteria that it has caused has been world wide and even ranging in places that have not had a single case documented. When something like this takes over all media devices how do you comfort your patients when their whole lifestyle has to change in order to follow protocol? And more importantly, how do you help guide them through understanding what they are seeing/hearing through media to give them a sense of security during this time while still attempting to have a successful treatment session?

Thank you for your time,
Danielle Dennis, OTAS

Reference

Hotze, S. (March 10, 2020). Intellectual Takeout. Coronavirus Mass Hysteria.
Retrieved from: https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/coronavirus-mass-hysteria/

3 Likes

I work in an outpatient clinic and as I reflect back to the past several weeks I can see the relationship with my patients has changed. I am SO thankful that they came in where before I may have taken them for granted. We have a bond about how uncertain these times are, that we are going through together. I have found that I am making my patients more responsible for doing their exercises at home in case they can’t come in for while, putting more burden on the patient. I have also experienced patients being more vulnerable and honest about their pain and life experiences. Great article!

1 Like

Hi Kate,
I’m wondering if you use any ehealth interventions or electronic ways of tracking your patient progress in OP? Any ehealth apps or tracking that your patients have found to track patient exercises or increase accountability?

Lauren

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Sheryl and welcome to the group! Did the article give you any specific ideas for enriching and educating your patient population (who do you serve as an OT, by the way)? Are any of your patients using ehealth interventions (fitness trackers, etc.)?

Lauren

1 Like

Wow, @sheryl, I REALLY liked some of the language you used in your post! I really zeroed in on this part:

I really liked your use of the word “mastery.” I think we are just at the beginning of understanding how a person’s sense of mastery over their health challenge impacts their health outcomes. Having a sense of “agency” or “internal locus of control” seems to be getting at the same idea—and I’m so excited to watch for new research to come out about these concepts.

How amazing would it be if we as OTs, could be even more explicitly about helping our patients to develop a sense of agency over their health. It is hard to wrap your mind around how broad and long-term of an impact that could have on a person’s life!

1 Like

I wanted to leave this awesome image about participatory medicine here, because it really shows the new roles each member of the partnership has!

Here’s the full manifesto: https://participatorymedicine.org/manifesto/

4 Likes

@SarahLyon This is an AWESOME resource! I think it could be modified for OT specifically and used as a jumping off point for developing trust with patients (particularly outpatients). I’d love to see this created with some more OT language but using the same concept.

3 Likes

This is great! I like that everything is a true partnership based on honesty, transparency, and communication. It would be such a great thing to hang on the wall in all healthcare facilities! Or even something to make both parties sign at the beginning of care :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! That’s what @lauren2 and I were talking that the manifesto could be a great tool to use to get on the same page at the start of care!

I’m actually going to join the Society for Participatory Medicine to see if I can get permission to adapt it. Then, maybe we can collaborate to make a simplified version for adult OT clients and pediatric OT clients…

1 Like

That is a fantastic idea! Please let us know what they say!

1 Like

One of the reasons I was drawn to occupational therapy was our practice to reach client-centered goals. I appreciate this article naming specific values that many of us already use in practice and shedding light onto how important they are in healthcare!

I think one of the most interesting shifts in healthcare is the empowerment of patients through access to information which this article talked about patients attending e-health sessions with more preparation. I would be interested to see if there was a difference in something like HEP adherence of in person vs e-health sessions due to patient’s participation in their care.

2 Likes

I love how this “mastery” and “locus of control” trickle down to the pediatric population as well! This is the parent taking on those roles; I have really enjoyed seeing that materialize the past 5 plus weeks that I have jumped into telehealth with my families I work with!

2 Likes

Lauren, I don’t currently use any ehealth apps to track progress besides Care Connections that we do every 10 visits, but I will have to look into an app to track HEP completion, that’s a great idea!

1 Like

Hey Melissa! I’m reading your comment as I’m working on our article for next week, and I’m so excited to discuss ways to give our pediatric kids more agency even in their goals setting (which is what the article is about.) Im always amazed how interconnected all of our topics are!

Hey @kate and @lauren2 To add to the idea of tracking HEP via apps, I was really persuaded by some of our ergonomic therapists in the Club that habit trackers are a really great tool, because they really set the patient up to think of exercises as a long-term habit—not just something to do for therapy.

I’ve been using a habit tracker for about 6 months, and I have also found it personally transformative!

1 Like

This is such an interesting question!!! I’m sure we will be seeing more studies about this, but the closest we’ve looked at so far in the Club had to do with an in-person versus telehealth stroke intervention. I don’t think I mentioned this in my review, but if you dig into the research, I remember that the telehealth group actually had slightly higher adherence rate… It might be worth reading if you are interested in the topic.

And, on a personal note, I was also drawn to OT because of how client-centered we are and our holistic approach to health :slight_smile: