Efficacy of Home-Based Telerehabilitation vs In-Clinic Therapy for Adults After Stroke

Read Full Text: Efficacy of Home-Based Telerehabilitation vs In-Clinic Therapy for Adults After Stroke: A Randomized Clinical Trial (Not available for free, but we felt it was important to discuss)
Journal: JAMA Neurology
Year Published: 2019
This week’s article was chosen in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Therapists across the globe are advocating that telehealth delivery be covered by our licenses (and reimbursed by insurers). Now, more than ever, I think it’s important to examine the research that backs up these efforts.

The reality is that even before COVID-19, telehealth was showing significant promise to help reach more clients, and even improve outcomes.

This week’s article is a randomized control trial from one of the world’s most influential journals: The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). And, the results indicate that telehealth delivered to stroke patients to address UE motor deficits appeared to be just as effective as similar care care that was delivered in a clinic.

A little history on post-stroke therapy dosing (and the dilemma therapists have found themselves in)

The type and amount of therapy that is indicated following stroke is not universally agreed upon at this point.

But, the article Rehabilitation of Motor Function After Stroke remains one of my favorite summaries of where we are on this matter.

The stroke-related articles we’ve studied so far have looked at how many repetitions are needed to impact brain plasticity. This week’s article alludes to research which indicates that the number of repetitions may be much higher than most patients receive.

Think: Around 1000 repetitions in a day (as opposed to the usual therapy approach, which is typically fewer than 50 reps per day).

Teletherapy is one viable option for helping people achieve this higher dosage.

What was the primary research question in this article?

The researcher hypothesized the following: Activity-based training targeting arm movement post-stroke—delivered through telerehabilitation—would show comparable efficacy to the equivalent delivered in the clinic.

And, by “equivalent,” they meant dose-matched, intensity-matched, activity-based training delivered in the clinic.

What were the demographics of the patients?

124 patients participated in the study; here are the inclusion criteria:

• 18 years or older
  • Experienced an ischemic or intracerebral hemorrhage 4-6 weeks prior
  • As a result, had arm motor deficits
  • No major deficits in mood or cognition

What details were given about the intervention?

Here were the logistical details of the sessions:

• 36 treatment sessions
  • Session were 70 minutes each (plus one 10-minute break)
  • 18 sessions were supervised; 18 were unsupervised
  • Treatment took place over a 4-6 week period

Here are some intervention details, which applied to both groups:

• All patients signed a behavioral contract that included a personal treatment goal.
  • The treatment approach was based on an upper extremity task-specific training manual and Accelerated Skill Acquisition Program.
  • Therapists could revise the treatment plans as often as desired. Revision was required every 2 weeks.
  • 15 minutes per session were spent on arm exercises.
  • At least 15 per session were spent on functional training.
  • 5 minutes per session were spent on general stroke education.

Here’s some details that applied to the in-clinic group:

• For unsupervised sessions, patients were in their home-setting and were guided by an individualized printed booklet.

Here’s some details that applied to the telerehabilitation group:

• At a baseline visit, patients were trained in a telerehabilitation system that included:
  • Supervised sessions began with a 30-minute patient-therapist video conference, during which time the therapist answered questions, reviewed treatment plans, performed assessments, and supervised therapy.

Please see the article for more details on the sessions!

What assessments were used?

Primary assessment:

Secondary assessments:

What were the results/conclusions?

Both treatment groups showed substantial gains in arm motor function. In fact, the difference between the two groups was narrow enough that the researcher concluded that the telehealth program was just as effective as the in-clinic program.

The researchers also concluded that the telerehabilitation was also:

• Safe
  • Rated favorably by patients
  • Associated with excellent treatment adherence

The discussion section is a great read, but I did want to highlight that the researchers keyed in on the high patient motivation in the telerehabilitation group, which they say may have been related to:

• Ease of use
  • Convenience
  • Frequent interaction with clinicians
  • Multiple means of providing feedback
  • Using a behavioral contract
  • Games to drive adherence
  • Using several input devices to practice movement
  • And using the teletherapy system to generate reminders

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

1. It is possible to be effective via telehealth.

One of the items we see being discussed right now is which populations can benefit from telehealth. And, one of the assumptions is that populations that historically have received more “hands-on” therapies will be more difficult to translate to this medium.

But, this article really pushes us to think about how recent developments in technology have opened new opportunities for us and our patients. The article has shown us how telehealth can help us meet needs in adult rehab, just like the article last week showed us how we can meet needs in pediatrics.

2. In fact, we may be able to reach more people, and improve outcomes over our traditional methods.

What’s especially crazy is that even before COVID-19, the authors were suggesting that telehealth may help us:

1. Reach more patients
  2. Improve outcomes beyond the gains that many patients see in a traditional setting

So, with this in mind, we shouldn’t think of switching to telehealth as a desperate second option, but rather as an opportunity to deliver better, more needed care than we ever have before.

3. Keep advocating.

Of course, to be able to deliver telehealth, we need the appropriate licensure—and, ideally, telehealth should also be covered by insurance. Some insurance companies and some states have started making important coverage decisions, but we’re not there yet.

So, please keep advocating. Many policy makers want to hear your voice. They want to see this research. Almost everyone is being called to make many difficult decisions right now, but approving telehealth OT for coverage should not be one of them

The research is there, and your skillset is needed.

Listen to my takeaways in podcast form:

Find platforms for listening to the OT Potential Podcast here.

(Possibly) Earn CEUs/PDUs for reading this article.

Many of you can receive continuing education credits for reading this article. Here’s a form to help you do it, along with information to help you understand who qualifies.

And, here’s the full APA citation you many need:

Cramer, S. C., Dodakian, L., Le, V., See, J., Augsburger, R., Mckenzie, A., … Janis, S. (2019). Efficacy of Home-Based Telerehabilitation vs In-Clinic Therapy for Adults After Stroke. JAMA Neurology, 76(9), 1079. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2019.1604

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

Thank you for sharing this article.
Seems really interesting to apply telerehabilitation in our routine practice.
I completely agree to your opinion of making use of teletherapy as an opportunity to reach more and more patients and to make a mark in this relatively new area of healthcare practice.
Using telerehabilitation for adult neurological cases could be a challenge as many hands on therapeutic techniques are prerequisite in Neuro rehabilitation.
However I feel it’s a very good suggestion for patient education and for maintaining progress record of a patient’s recovery through digital media.
Hope you all are safe in this difficult time.
Wishing Health to all…

2 Likes

Hi @preeti! It is so good to hear from you! I’ve been thinking about you when I see information about the virus in India come across my newsfeed… I’m wishing health to you as well!

Are you finding in India that healthcare providers are switching to health? In the US it is definitely been trail-blazed by doctors, and rehab professionals are slowly gaining coverage.

I just read this morning, this really great article about telehealth in the UK and Europe:

I thought it was helpful to think through how the market for tele-health technologies was already growing, and this feels like just the beginning of a boom. @lauren2, do you think the virus is going to speed the process of new tele-therapy stroke rehab technologies coming to the market?

1 Like

I completely agree with your takeaway to think of telehealth as a primary option to reach rural patients instead of a back up plan, especially in the push for social distancing that we are experiencing now. This research article aligns with findings from the physical therapy community. Yeroushalmi et al (2019) reported significantly improved outcomes for clients who were diagnosed with MS via tele-rehabilitation. They found that outcomes were in line with in-person therapy and patient satisfaction was actually higher (likely due to convenience).
For a regulation change and reimbursement stand point, its imperative that we (OTs) advocate for inclusion in research studies to back up our efficacy as essential healthcare workers during this time. Based on information that I’ve gathered from state to state legislation, we are often left off the reimbursement list, although we are getting more backing to provide teletherapy. This is so important!
Much like EI therapists, I’ve noticed a large advantage to being within the “homes” of a patient for pediatric private practice as well as mental health. We are able to get real time view of environment as well as what the client has on hand for their treatment to improve carryover and compliance.

Yeroushalmi, S., Maloni, H., Costello, K., & Wallin, M.T. (2019). Telemedicine and Multiple Sclerosis: A Comprehensive Literacy Review. Telemed Telecare. DOI 10.1177/1357633X19840097.

4 Likes

Sarah, thank you so much for providing information on adult telehealth. Telehealth is HUGE in pediatrics, but there is not much information on the use of it with adults. Even though, I know that there are professionals working with adults via telehealth, it’s not in the spot light. So I appreciate you sharing this article!

4 Likes

Sarah,

Thank you for sharing another great post. In the OTP takeaway section, I like how you pointed out that we can reach more people and how it can be a great opportunity to deliver services. There use of the internet is becoming more common in all age groups. In the year 2000, 48% of U.S. adults did not use the internet; in 2019 only 10% of adults do not use the internet. Although, with this, Rural Americans are more likely not to use the internet, so it could be difficult to reach them if they are not able to come into the clinic (Anderson, Perrin, Jiang, & Kumar, 2019). Still, telehealth is becoming more of an opportunity in the health occupation!

Respectfully,

Rozlynn Everhart, OTAS

Anderson, M., Perrin, A., Jiang, J., & Kumar, M. (2019, April 22). 10% of Americans don’t use the internet. Who are they? Retrieved April 06, 2020, from https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/22/some-americans-dont-use-the-internet-who-are-they/

3 Likes

@SarahLyon
Thank you for sharing such an informative and encouraging article. Telehealth is truly proving to be an effective mode of service delivery for many different patients. It is unfortunate that many people may not receive the recommended amount of treatment as soon as it is needed due to various outside factors. This is another reason why telehealth can be beneficial, especially for those hoping to gain full recovery after a stroke. A past study compared three different timelines for when therapy interventions began after a stroke, and found that the group who received therapy within the first 20 days from the stroke produced significantly higher levels of effectiveness as opposed to those who received therapy beginning within 41 to 60 days after stroke (Paolucci et al., 2000, p. 698). Telehealth can be a potential solution for these individuals who have limiting factors that may affect their timeline of therapy.

Respectfully,
Kristen Borntreger, OTAS

Paolucci, S., Antonucci, G., Grazia Grasso, M., Morelli, D., Troisi, E., Coiro, P., Bragoni, M. (2000). Early versus delayed inpatient stroke rehabilitation: A matched comparison conducted in Italy. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 81 (6), 695-700. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(00)90095-9

1 Like

Thank you Sarah for another important and timely article. It is very promising to read that the results were almost the same for both groups. Telerehab does appear to be beneficial for the adult population as well. We have not used it to its full potential, it looks like.
In this study, no major baseline cognitive deficits and the signed behavioral contract with a personal treatment goal play a huge role in the success of this program. Persons with an accompanying cognitive deficit and the absence of an involved caregiver may not show the same results. Having said that, rehab professionals and insurance companies definitely need to look at this issue seriously and not because we are in a bind now.
I have not read the full article but would love to do so. Currently, I am drowning in trying to teach OT online. Stay safe everyone.

1 Like

I’ve got mixed feelings about the recent push into Telehealth…
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve long believed that Telehealth could do a lot to increase access, decrease some costs, and help improve clinical outcomes.

However, with the flight to Telehealth in recent weeks due to the pandemic, I am noticing a worrying trend in the arguments being used to advocate for this method of service delivery.

What worries me most is the argument being made that “Telehealth is just as good as in-clinic or in-person treatment”.

Here are a few problems I see with this argument, and the ramifications could actually lead to decreased coverage of necessary services in the days ahead (and after this crisis is over):

:one: Virtual assessments or treatments can not universally be comparable to in-person visits.

:two: This argument opens the door for payers and regulators to decide that they simply won’t cover “in-person” visits if Telehealth is an option.

:three: It has the potential to commoditize healthcare services, discounting the skills, knowledge, and expertise that clinicians possess in their given area of specialization.

I think we, as a profession, need to be very careful about how we advocate for this service delivery method. Pointing out that it’s a great adjunct to in-person therapy, or that it can help improve clinical outcomes is one thing; but I think we need to be careful to avoid the argument of “it’s just as good as in-clinic treatment”

I’m still formulating my thoughts on this, but thought it was worth starting the conversation.

Does anyone else have any similar thoughts?

3 Likes

Hi @rafi! I’m really glad for the push to dig deeper into this, and think through possible unintended consequences about the current telehealth push!

I had thought about saying in my review that like with all research we need to be careful about generalizing the results beyond the specific parameters. The results of this specific study found that with this group, and with this specific program the patients in both groups had similar levels of improvements, that did leave the authors to conclude that tele-health was not inferior to in-clinic rehab.

Like, @sanchala said, this research did not include any patients with cognitive or mood deficits, which is a sizable number of stroke patients. And, the vast majority of therapists are not in the position to be able execute this exact protocol.

But, there is definitely a tension between not over generalizing and working with the research we have. For me, a promising study in JAMA is very significant for supporting the use of tele-therapy. We rarely find perfect answers in research, so part of why our clinical expertise is so valuable is there is that it is still on the shoulders OT to translate the research to our individual practices the best we can.

Alls that to say, I totally agree that while I feel very hopeful about telethearpy, we need to protect our ability to use our clinical reasoning based on the needs of clients and the tools we have at our disposal.

Insurers and regulators are always pushing us to standardized our care (which isn’t totally bad), but it needs to be held in the tension with the fact that we work with such complexity that there are rarely one-size fits all answers.

Does that makes sense? I’m feeling a little brain fried today… :crazy_face:

I’m really curious what @lauren2’s take on this is. She is much more immersed in stroke-technology research than I am!

I hope you and your family are well, @rafi!

1 Like

Hi @preeti - I completely agree with you that telehealth is not a substitute for in person and hands on care but I do think it can be an important supplement. So many patients that could benefit from in person outpatient care do not attend sessions regularly for a variety of different reasons - transportation being a big one! I admit that when I first came over to the rehab technology world, I was concerned that there would be a desire to replace therapy with technology. I don’t think that is now or will ever be the case.

Patients unfortunately do not get the care they need (intensity or number of repetitions of task-based practice) for UE rehabilitation using our current models. I see telerehab as well as rehab technology providing supplemental support and options for patients to keep moving, stay accountable and motivated to make improvements, particularly in UE motor function which can be such a long haul. @SarahLyon I hope that some of the changes made in light of the virus open our eyes to different possibilities to serve neurological patients in particular, in new and innovative ways.

1 Like

@reina I bought your telehealth book as we were preparing students in the OT program I teach for to take on telehealth sessions since our community practice lab had to end our in person sessions with clients. I completely agree that there is much more out in terms of research and support for using telehealth for pediatrics and I hope we continue to see more adult and neuro-based therapists using telehealth to differently serve their patients as well. Do you do strictly telehealth practice or do you use any hybrid models in your telerehab care?

1 Like

Thank you so much for purchasing the book. I hope you found it helpful! I strictly do telehealth practice, but for me, the idea actually started as a hybrid model. Please feel free to reach out to me, if there’s any way that I can help.

Hi @rafi I saw your message in the Entrapreneurs group today as well and I think that without being reflective practitioners, we’re in a bind before we even leave the starting line.

Is telehealth the right medium for all patients? No.

Is it the right medium for some patients? Definitely.

Can it be used to suppliment therapy as it exists in the clinic currently? It’s my opinion that this is the BIGGEST place where we’re missing the opportunity to use this medium. So many patients post-stroke have barriers to getting to the clinic regularly. Some of my fabulous OT neuro-colleagues in the Bay Area have waitlists that are MONTHS long and can only see their patients 1x/week because of packed schedules and patient visit limits.

The argument that “telehealth is just as good as in-person therapy” as you mention is not exactly what’s being said with this article (and I don’t see that as an overarching argument being made in the therapy community). To me, the message of the article is that motor outcomes are very close to the same for this service delivery model as for dose matched services being performed in the clinic.

Since we have had so many barriers to delivering care through telehealth (specifically for the population like those mentioned in this article - those that are older adults who have Medicare as a primary payer source), this is an exciting new option (and unfortunately our only option right now in many cases). The argument that I see being made by this article is that we CAN deliver care to the right audience (to @sanchala’s point) through telehealth.

My additional argument is that we need something else to provide the intensity of treatment in order for neuro-patients to make meaningful gains than what we can provide in our traditional outpatient therapy service delivery models.

When COVID passes and things settle down, our outpatient rehab limitations will continue because they’re tied to things like reimbursement, clinic capacity and patient support. IF another option like telerehab can get past some of those barriers (either cash based or insurance reimbursed), I think that neuro patients deserve more intensive and supportive care than we’re providing right now without telehealth options. It’s nice to see that research is supporting outcomes along with our ethical and professional responsibility to match this service delivery with the right patients at the right time.

4 Likes

Sarah,
The theme you have had these past couple of weeks with telehealth has been enlightening. I appreciate your proactiveness on advocating for occupational therapy in general and even more so for telehealth. The more research we have to back up the effectiveness of telehealth, the more we will be able to see the implementation of telehealth. Yeroushalmi’s research is one prime example of doing just that. Research in occupational therapy needs to be done s that we can better advocate our profession and there is no time like the present. Sarah, do you know of any good articles that show occupational therapists using telehealth effectively?

Kind Regards,
Josephine Rammel, OTAS

Yeroushalmi, S., Maloni, H., Costello, K., & Wallin, M.T. (2019). Telemedicine and Multiple Sclerosis: A Comprehensive Literacy Review. Telemed Telecare. DOI 10.1177/1357633X19840097.

I truly appreciate this space, more now than ever, to unite as a profession.

@rafi I agree with having mixed feelings and value the others weighing in on this as well. With my own practice we are just starting to research how we can do teletherapy with our clients (medically complex pediatrics through the county). On the one hand I feel that many of our families will benefit as transportation or distance is often an issue. And on the other there are some of our clients who my team is struggling to determine the appropriateness of it.

I’ll join in the gratitude for the summary of this article as well! I am curious if there are any universities/other institutions doing research as the pandemic is continuing. Does anyone know of any?

1 Like

Hey @lauren2 & @SarahLyon ,

I agree that this is an area that rehab has been lacking in innovation into the telehealth space. When I was at the VA, I was involved in some initiatives around implementing telehealth, particularly for those patients who experienced barriers to regular attendance at appointments (distance, transportation, finances, etc.). Even now, as part of my work as a healthcare consultant for a large state health department, we’re assisting the state in developing telehealth protocols, standards, and best practices so that it can continue to be implemented after this public health crisis passes.

Unfortunately, in the C-suite at the VA, in state health departments, and in other c-suite and executive offices for organizations that I’ve consulted with, the idea surfaces that telehealth could be used in lieu of in-clinic or in-person therapy services.

That’s what I’m referring to. I’m all about innovation in service delivery to increase access and decrease cost. But because of my experience in consulting, I’m also wary of the message —intentional, perceived, or otherwise— that administrators, policy-makers, or payers hear when they’re considering telehealth as an option. Sometimes (often), regardless of what we are trying to say, administrators and their support (analysts etc.) reduce what is a very nuanced argument/reasoning to a very simple statement. And sometimes that statement is “we can use telehealth instead of in-clinic services.”

So, again, all I’m really saying is that we, as a profession, really needs to be intentional about how we advocate for telehealth and the message —implied or perceived— we are sending to policy-makers, payers, and administrators.

Sometimes, especially in times of crisis, in an effort to save a sinking ship, or provide something to our patients, instead of leaving them out cold; we fail to see the long-term implications.

1 Like

Hi @rafi I think sounding the alarm is good and I appreciate the perspective that you bring in terms of what it might seem like we’re saying by rushing to get on board with telehealth, particularly to those that are not as integrated in practice but on the sidelines. The intention is important, most definitely.

How do you think we can frame the conversation that “telehealth is an option for the right patients at the right time” and “it’s not a replacement for in-clinic” practice to those that might be seeing this information unfold?

I think that this, albeit an unfortunate time, is a window to open opportunities for access to telehealth as another service delivery option, one that we’ve been tied up in logistical and payer challenges for since telehealth came about.

Do you think it’s possible for both messages to co-exist? I do. We need change and access to telehealth from an access standpoint AND we’re not saying that telehealth is a solution for all patients and all situations. I think this time requires administrators as well as therapists to recognize the nuance that exists in these messages. Maybe a tall order…

Interested to hear more of your thoughts.

1 Like

Sarah,

Thank you for sharing another telehealth article with us. It seems the benefits of online treatment has proved itself to be effective. Telehealth is an amazing tool to utilize especially at a time like this during a pandemic, however, what implications may follow when this is all over. Is it possible that the demand for occupational therapists will decrease as telehealth services are deemed just as good as face-to-face? The article I have cited below claims that in fact the use of both forms can be the most effective and cost efficient.

Respectfully,
Elise Cormany, OTAS

Shenoy, M. P., & Shenoy, P. D. (2018). Identifying the Challenges and Cost -Effectiveness of Telerehabilitation: A Narrative Review. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research, 12(12), 1–4. https://doi-org.elibrary.huntington.edu/10.7860/JCDR/2018/36811.12311