Diagnosis and Treatment of Parkinson Disease: A Review

Read Full Text: Diagnosis and Treatment of Parkinson Disease: A Review (This is a paid article, but we still thought it was important to cover.)
Journal: JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association
Year Published: 2020
Ranked 2nd on our list of the 100 Most Influential OT Research Articles
CEU Podcast: Parkinson’s Disease Evidence Review with Brandy Archie (CE Course)

The mention of OT in this week’s article is tiny—but it’s powerful.

We’re reviewing a prestigious guideline on Parkinson’s disease (PD) treatment. The authors recommend that rehab therapies begin upon initial diagnosis of PD, continuing across the course of the disease.

Sadly, as a profession, we are under-serving clients with PD. Rehab isn’t always delivered as consistently to these patients as the research recommends.

By specifically understanding how we can help patients with PD, you will be able to confidently advocate for our role in their care. This article really delivers that knowledge, covering key information about the PD disease process, the pervasiveness of non-motor symptoms, and the effectiveness of different treatments.

This updated information about PD should definitely impact how you plan your sessions. (Hint: please be talking about exercise!) It should also push us to consider new care models for all of our patients with chronic conditions.

Let’s dive in.

Introduction to Parkinson’s disease

Neurological conditions are the leading cause of disability worldwide. And, for unknown reasons Parkinson disease diagnoses are increasing more rapidly than other disorders.

An estimated 6.1 MILLION people around the world had a Parkinson disease diagnosis in 2016. This was 2.4x higher than in 1990—that’s a huge increase.

Most of the time, the cause of PD is unknown. But, there are known genetic and environmental contributors. In some studies, exposure to the following are linked to an increased risk of Parkinson disease:

• Pesticides
  • Herbicides
  • Heavy Metals

Parkinson’s disease is one type of parkinsonism

Parkinsonism is an umbrella category of neurologic disorders characterized by rigidity, slowness, and tremor.

Parkinson’s disease is the most common parkinsonism, but if you work with PD patients regularly (or have someone who doesn’t seem to fully fit their PD diagnosis) these other types of parkinsonism are important to be aware of:

What was the intent of this article?

The authors sought to review the evidence on the diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson’s disease.

This article was published in one of the leading medical journals, JAMA—making it a leading paper on the subject! (It was #2 on our list of the 100 most influential OT-related journal articles.

What were their methods?

The authors searched for systematic reviews and guidelines regarding the diagnosis and treatment of PD.

What did they find?

26 articles met their criteria. Here’s the high points for OTs from their findings:

Pathophysiology (The changes in your body functions)

PD is characterized by the death of neurons that synthesize dopamine.

These neurons are thought to help control various functions in the body. These functions include voluntary movement and a broad array of behavioral processes such as mood, reward, addiction, and stress.

Another hallmark of PD is the presence of Lewy bodies, which are essentially buildups of protein that disrupt normal brain function. (I found this reading on Lewy Bodies, Dementia, and Parkinson’s Disease to be helpful!)

Also important for OTs to note is that the following neurotransmitter systems are also disrupted in Parkinson’s disease:

• Serotonin (think: sleeping, eating, and digesting)
  • Norepinephrine (think: blood pressure and heart rate, especially related to fight or flight)

No wonder our patients have such a complex presentation.

How does Parkinson’s progress?

You’ll see in the subtypes below that there is a wide variation in how quickly the disease progresses, and which symptoms are most prominent.

But, there is a typical arch to Parkinson’s disease, which begins with non-motor symptoms.

The Braak hypothesis is the most common way of understanding how the disease spreads. Here are the stages of the hypothesis:

Stages 1&2: The disease begins in the lower brainstem, in the medulla and olfactory bulb. (Hence the decrease in smell and sleeping difficulties.)

Stages 3&4: Midbrain and forebrain structures are impacted and the classic symptoms of PD emerge.

Stages 5&6: Disease progresses throughout the brain and cognitive impairment and hallucinations occur.

Clinical presentation and symptoms for OTs to recognize

You’re likely already familiar with the classic motor symptoms of PD:

• Tremor
  • Stiffness
  • Slowness
  • Imbalance

But, as you probably picked up in the previous sections, the impact of PD reaches far beyond motor symptoms.

The article specifically notes that patients may not volunteer non-motor symptoms, because they may feel embarrassed by them, or simply be unaware that such symptoms are related to PD.

Non-motor symptoms may begin to develop years before the classic motor symptoms of PD emerge. Non-motor symptoms tend to increase in severity over the course of the disease.

These prodromal symptoms include:

• Rapid eye movement sleep disorder (This is even more difficult than it sounds, as patients tend to literally act out their dreams.)
  • Loss of smell/hyposmia
  • Autonomic dysfunction
    • Constipation
    • Urinary dysfunction
    • Orthostatic hypotension
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness
  • Depression

As the disease progresses, the following symptoms also appear in many patients.

(%) indicates approximate percentage of patients that experience the symptoms:

• Visual disturbances (22-78%)
  • Somatosensory dysfunction and pain (30-85%)
  • Anxiety (60%)
  • Apathy (60%)
  • Psychosis, usually in the later stages (40%)
  • Dementia (40% at 10 years, 83% at 20 years)

Subtypes of Parkinson’s disease

If you’re like me, you can think of your own community and patients, and you’ll recognize that PD presents in many different ways. It also progresses at different speeds in different people.

There is an ongoing attempt to categorize different subtypes of PD, and here’s the best understanding we have at this time:

• Mild motor predominant (49-53%): Younger age of onset; mild motor and non-motor symptoms; slow progression; good medication response.

• Intermediate (35-39%): Intermediate age of onset and symptoms; moderate-to-good response to medications.

• Diffuse malignant (9-16%): Symptoms progress rapidly; baseline motor symptoms are accompanied by rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder, mild cognitive impairment, and orthostatic hypotension; worse response to levodopa (medication for PD)

Diagnosis and Assessment

Diagnosis of Parkinson disease for the most part is made by history and examination.

There is a test called “DaT SPECT” that measures dopamine transporters that can help confirm the diagnosis—though this option is typically only used if the diagnosis is uncertain. (Especially in the early stages it can be difficult to differentiate between the similar diagnosis we mentioned earlier in the article.)

Relevant to OTs, the two assessments that were mentioned related to treatment were the same we have seen in other articles:

Parkinson’s Disease Questionnaire - 39 (PDQ-39)

Unified Parkinson’s Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS)

The PDQ-39 is free, easy to administer and helps ensure you are addressing PD holistically!

See all Parkinson’s Assessments

Treatment

For all PD patients, treatment is currently geared toward addressing symptoms.

There are medications that bring significant relief from symptoms—but, ultimately, these do not modify the overall course of the disease.

The most promising treatment that shows the possibility of actually slowing the progression of the disease is high-intensity exercise, which we’ll discuss below.

Let’s look at some more details about what the article says about OT-related treatment:

Rehab should begin at diagnosis and be continued throughout the disease course.

In a Q&A section of the article the authors answer this question:

Q: How soon should rehab therapies be prescribed after a patient is diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

The authors answer: “At the time of diagnosis, an appropriate exercise regimen can be prescribed based on the patient’s symptoms. Rehabilitative therapies should be continued through the disease course."

The article notes that occupational therapy is part of the interdisciplinary therapy team vital to providing quality care for PD patients.

Rehabilitative therapy is listed as an option for all symptoms across all disease stages. Alongside our rehab colleagues, the overall goals are to improve:

• Motor symptoms
  • Gait and balance
  • Function
  • Hypophonia
  • Dysphagia

Please, don’t neglect exercise

Exercise is a key intervention for addressing the motor symptoms of PD. The article lists it as an intervention for all stages of the disease (and as a way to address all types of motor symptoms).

The authors do not connect exercise directly to OT intervention, but I am going to make the leap to say that, alongside others on the care team, you should definitely focus on helping your patients establish a realistic exercise routine.

The article lists these as effective exercise interventions:

• Gait and balance training
  • Progressive resistance training
  • Treadmill exercise
  • Strength training
  • Aerobic exercise
  • Music and dance-based approaches
  • Tai chi

There clearly is not one right type of exercise. As a therapist, you have the opportunity to listen to your patients and find the right exercise habit(s) they can continue to follow, long after their time with you ends.

This resources also was not mentioned in the article, but I love it as a resource to address exercise:

Non-motor symptoms

For the many non-motor symptoms listed earlier in the article, the authors state that symptomatic treatment is similar to what you’d deliver to any member of the general population with those same symptoms. The article does not mention OT in this section, but I’ll share some thoughts on this in my final takeaways.

A final note on medication management

If you want to dive deeper into medication management, there is a lot of great information on medications covered in this article.

One side effect I thought OT should be aware of is dyskinesia (involuntary writing- or dance-like movements). When dyskinesia begins to interfere with function, it may be time for a medication adjustment or perhaps a more advanced treatment approach.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These were my own personal takeaways and were not mentioned directly in the article.)

1. Help your PD patients build a habit of exercise.

As an OT, you may not think of yourself as an exercise coach—but you are certainly an expert in helping people build habits and routines. And, this is exactly what these patients need from you. They need someone to listen to their unique situations and coach them to find exercise routines that they can sustain after therapy ends.

I highly recommend this new 2022 article to see the latest on our understanding of the neuroprotective effects of exercise.

Here’s the overall takeaway:

“In the long term, the maintenance of high regular physical activity levels and exercise habits was robustly associated with better clinical course of PD, with each type of physical activity having different effects.”

2. Plan to see patients throughout the disease course.

I really appreciated how this article listed occupational therapy as a treatment option throughout the disease course.

In any chronic degenerative condition, a patient’s functional status and occupational profile is going to change over the years. For that reason, it might be best to think of yourself as a long-term consultant. Encourage your patients to seek therapy again when their status changes. Even if it is just for a few visits, you can make a difference. You can help them with their changing functional status and check in on the exercise routine you helped them establish!

3. There seems to be a massive need to help address non-motor symptoms—and this is a need you may be able to help meet.

While motor symptoms are the most visible sign of Parkinson’s disease, they are not necessarily the most debilitating. As OTs, we know how much things like urinary dysfunction, mood, and hypotension can impact your day (and your relationships).

You may be the first professional to talk with your patients about non-motor symptoms and normalize this experience for them and their families. So, do not shy away from these conversations.

The article discusses medication management for many of the non-motor symptoms. And, also in therapy we seem to be growing in our ability to help patients navigate things like autonomic dysfunction. I’ll be super curious to hear if any of you address non-motor symptoms in your treatment of PD!

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
Armstrong MJ, Okun MS. Diagnosis and Treatment of Parkinson Disease: A Review. JAMA. 2020;323(6):548–560. doi:10.1001/jama.2019.22360

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with OT (and Club member!), Brandy Archie. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

2 Likes

Sarah,
Great article that supports the findings of the recent systematic completed in AJOT scheduled for publication this month. Foster, Carson, Archer, & Hunter, 2021 found that OT roles with individuals with Parkinson’s includes Physical Activities through exercise and leisure, including activities such as resistance, aerobic and flexibility, balance training, walking, Nordic walking, yoga, and tai chi. Additionally, evidence supports OT’s role with IADL function and participation, cognitive rehabilitation and self-management, coaching, and skills training for compensatory strategies.
I recently experienced side effects from a less sedentary routine that I adapted during graduate school from personal experience. Life got out of balance between work and school. So, I have been working on regaining strength in my core and improving my balance. I can vouch for the importance of these skills that quickly change when not used and place an individual at risk for injury and falls. How many of you have recently tried to stand on one foot for 30 seconds? Now, close your eyes and try to do it. This was a wake-up call for me, and I started working on balance and the vestibular system.
I also changed my approaches to laundry and other household chores to support back health and engage my core. I was once again reminded we need to practice what we preach.
I also discovered Leslie Sansone, an exercise leader in promoting health through walking. Her videos have all levels of walking from one mile to three miles with and without resistance. Her videos are on Youtube, but I recommend the OT practitioner watch the video before recommending them as there is a variety of these available on Youtube. 1 Mile Happy Walk [Walk at Home 1 Mile] - YouTube.
Also, check out April and her mom. 10-minute In
We have to work with our clients to find what interests them and what they want to do in terms of exercise, but these are great resources as we are still navigating with COVID.
I also find the stages of rehab redefined encouraging as literature is beginning to note prehabilitation from the onset of a diagnosis. Occupational therapy can make an impact early on in this stage.

Foster, E. R., Carson, L.G., Archer, J., & Hunter, E.G. (2021). Occupational therapy interventions for instrumental activities of daily living for adults
with Parkinson’s disease: A systematic review. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 75, 7503190030. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2021.046581

13 Likes

Wow! @sherry what a great systematic review! I had not seen this yet! I’m really happy to see that research is consistent in AJOT as well.

I didn’t mention this in the review, but as we saw earlier in the Club an individualized OT intervention that just focuses on giving recommendations regarding ADLS and iADLs does not have strong support in the evidence. From the research it seems key that individualized exercise programs are also being recommended. And, for ADLS and iADLs that the tasks are actually practiced with the patients-- not just talked about!

Below is an example of a program that did not have strong support in evidence. (We covered this in the Club- and it is featured in the new AJOT systematic review.)

Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy vs No Therapy in mild to moderate Parkinson disease

Great article and interesting takeaways. Always love seeing OT representation!

I’m currently auditing an undergrad elective course in my PhD and it’s all about physical activity and exercise. One of my fellow students presented last week on PD and the ways that exercise/physical activity is not just a treatment for PD but also a protective factor in PD development. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

5 Likes

Love this systematic review … Erin Foster is one of my OT professors/faculty members at WashU where I got my OTD and does great work.

2 Likes

Ha! When you posted this, I was literally just sitting at my computer stewing about how exercise routines are often not considered an “occupation based” intervention- so some therapists are hesitant to address exercise!

But, to me establishing the habit and routine of exercise is such a perfect fit for our skillset!

1 Like

Yes … exactly! As an OT in a class of all graduating undergraduate seniors, it feels like their answer to everything is always “more exercise”. This certainly isn’t the case nor is it client-centered or always occupation-based, but exercise is one of my most favorite occupations! I think the careful consideration here is, unsurprisingly, client-centeredness. But I think the more as OTs we look at/study/identify the impact general physical activity and exercise has on our global health (mental health, sleep health, emotional health, etc.) it makes for a very interesting discussion.

2 Likes

Such an amazing article!

In my time as an OT I have seen a variety of clients with Parkinson’s Disease and I feel in each case exercise has always been a fantastic way to get people more involved in meaningful/purposeful occupation. One part of exercise prescription that I have always loved is that clients will 9 times out of 10 surprise themselves with what they are capable of physically as they are often resigned in the fact they have Parkinson’s Disease. That empowerment is just as beneficial as the actual exercise in my opinion.

I also love the takeaway at the end about normalising the conversation about the non-motor symptoms of the diagnoses. I know more often than not with older Australian’s (especially when working rurally) they are never really expecting to be asked questions about their sleep, mood/affective state, or urinary function. I feel as the profession develops further it is definitely something we need to remain aware of to ensure all aspects of a person’s life are addressed.

Also, thank you for providing the link to the two assessments/questionnaires. I am now planning on taking out the PDQ-39 to a new client who has been referred for fatigue management to assist in identifying triggers to ensure I cover as many bases as possible. Definitely a tool I am happy to have shown to me early on in my career.

5 Likes

Great article , however, I think we need to add another component to the treatment of PD. Family education and support groups. I had Families in the past that say “it takes too long for him to dress , so I just do it for him “.Many families s try to pull their loved ones up , the need to learn how to cue and safely assist their loved ones least restricted level of care . There are family members who fall with them because they try to help too much . I love my PD patients ! Thanks for this article ,I especially found the lack of sleep pattern interesting of a sign of PD.

7 Likes

I’m so glad you like the PDQ-39! I think it is a great tool to help therapists to remember to ask about multiple areas of functioning. And, the other benefit is it can help normalize different symptoms from PD for patients, if they see it on a questionnaire and realize that their particular struggle is experienced by others with PD!

1 Like

I’m so glad you brought up patient education! Patient education has been heavy on my heart today (I’m working on next week’s article on RA).

As our understanding of these different diagnoses becomes more and more complex the more skilled quality education becomes. I wish there were more resources out there like the Fitness Counts handout! Wouldn’t it be awesome to have similar resource encouraging patients and families to stay active in meaningful activities- like you mentioned!

Your comment also brought to mind the first of four questions mentioned in one of my favorite books Being Mortal. Asking the first question might be a great way to kick off patient education:

Here are the 4 questions (they are all SO GOOD.)

• What is your understanding of the situation and its potential outcomes?
• What are your fears and what are your hopes?
• What are the trade-offs you are willing to make and not willing to make?
• What is the course of action that best serves this understanding? ”

1 Like

Great article Sarah and great comments by all.
Lots of great resources, thank you all for posting those. I have limited exposure when it comes to providing treatments, however I see lot of PD patients for driving assessments. It’s great to have these resources to help these patient stay active and engaged in their occupations /IADL’s. Its so difficult to see these patients struggling to keep up with their independence, when it comes to driving and I see their resistance in giving up or even self-reporting to the DMV. I am a great advocate to promote and keep their independence, but keeping them safe and people around them safe makes it a difficult decision when to report these patients.

3 Likes

Sarah,
Thank you for this comprehensive resource to help update understanding on the progression of PD. I find the discussions of the emotional and sleep deprivation component very helpful. I often find the Patient and family members can understand how the Patient’s physical presentation is affecting their daily routine but depression is often overlooked. Sadly, I’ve witnessed many tears of grief and frustrations as a Patient progresses in this disease process and often use “therapeutic listening skills” and “therapeutic use of self” to assist a patient in achieving their personal goals.

2 Likes

Thank you Sarah for this wonderful topic.
In addition to all the symptoms you described, there are visual spatial changes that affect their ability to continue to drive. Many of these patients experience challenges in sleep and the effects of medication makes it worse, so as an OT we can play a vital role in addressing medication management ( I always have them bring in the clinic and fill out the pill box) and also address their IADL of driving.

2 Likes

Hi @rose! Yes, I am eager to dig into understanding sleep disturbances and depression and what we can do to help.

Later this year, I’m looking for someone to discuss this article with on the podcast, if anyone knows of any experts in this area:

1 Like

Hi @purnima! I’m so glad you brought up visual disturbances. The article said that a substantial number of patients do have visual disturbances (22-78% of patients). But, I was curious what these changes typically entail.

Below is a short but informative article on the changes. It looks like medication often has a role in the changes. To me, this really drives home for me how important it is for OTs to have a relationship with their local ophthalmologists.

Thank you Sarah.
I do driving assessments with these patients and it’s Just not the medication but also the disease process changes the visual spatial abilities and it’s so challenging to make them aware and work on it

Thank you
Regards
Purnima Karia
310-951-1495

2 Likes

Just a quick comment on what I don’t see addressed enough to improve QOL in persons with Parkinson’s…communication and social skills. Perhaps this is more of a Speech domain, but our professions have a lot of overlap and I don’t see SLPs addressing this issue enough if ever.

I work in SNF/LTC setting, and see Parkinson’s residents and short-term patients often withdrawn, and never educated on how Parkinson’s affects ability to convey emotions and connect with others. And, of course, relationships are what life is all about.

I’ve found youtube videos on facial exercises that I’ve practiced with clients with a mirror. Would love to find some more research and training on this. One of the residents at my care community loves chess, so I’ve been practicing with basic social skills (eye contact, smiling, greetings) for him to interact and make friends with a peer in the community so that he can continue this meaningful activity.

Finally, I just did an AJOT search on social skills training, and this article popped up, “Effects of the Alert Program® on Communication, Social Interaction, and Occupational Performance in Adults With Developmental Disabilities.”(Effects of the Alert Program® on Communication, Social Interaction, and Occupational Performance in Adults With Developmental Disabilities | The American Journal of Occupational Therapy | American Occupational Therapy Association)
The researchers implemented a 12 module adapted protocol based on the Alert Program®, delivered in group sessions, with the 7 adult participants. The modules focused on teaching self-regulation strategies to improve participation in group activities and communication and social skills.
And in conclusion, the researchers found The Alert Program® is an effective program occupational therapists can use to address self-regulation to positively impact communication, interaction skills, and occupational performance in adults with DD/ID.

I went on the Alert Program site, and the training is also used with elders and persons with dementia, and really just about everyone to better regulate anxiety, motivation and energy levels, and build self-awareness. The training goes into the use of a sensory diet, which would be so helpful in the typically sensory deprived nursing home.

If anyone has recommendations where I can receive more info on social skills training for Parkinson’s, I’d really appreciate it. Socializing in and of itself, and during leisure participation is such a vital occupation for our quality of life!

Ok not such a quick comment after all!

5 Likes