Depression in neurodegenerative diseases: Common mechanisms and current treatment options

Read Full Text: Depression in neurodegenerative diseases: Common mechanisms and current treatment options
Journal: Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews
Year Published: 2019
Ranked 8th on our 2019-2023 list of the 100 Most Influential OT Journal Articles
CEU Podcast: #56: Depression in Neurodegenerative Diseases with Rachel Wiley

Today’ article drives home the complex connection between depression and three neurodegenerative diseases:

1. Alzheimer’s Disease
  2. Parkinson’s Disease
  3. Huntington’s Disease

Even though depression has a high comorbidity with all of these diagnoses, the authors argue that it should not be an assumed part of the disease process. Instead, depression should be recognized as distinct—and treated as such.

But, here’s where things get complicated:

In some cases, the medications traditionally used to treat depression do not work for this population—and can in fact be actively harmful. So, OT approaches like environmental enrichment and physical exercise could actually be the frontline defense for helping these patients manage their depression.

To unpack all of this, I am so thankful to have dementia care expert Rachel Wiley, MS, OTR/L, CDP, join us on the podcast next week.

Let’s dive in.

Quick intro to major depressive disorder (MDD)

Major depressive disorder is a highly prevalent psychiatric condition impacting people across all demographics.

In the United States, the lifetime prevalence of MDD is an estimated 17%—and it is one of the leading causes of disability worldwide.

The typical presentation of MDD can include:

• Depressed mood
  • Reduced interest in pleasurable activities (anhedonia)
  • Cognitive impairment
  • Feelings of guilt and worthlessness
  • Suicidal ideation

Depression and neurodegenerative diseases

Even though MDD can present at any age, there are certain circumstances in which clinicians must be hypervigilant in recognizing a client’s increased risk of mood disorder (for example: after the diagnosis of a chronic and/or untreatable condition such as a neurodegenerative disease).

However, diagnosing depression in this context can be difficult, as one of the criteria for diagnosis of depression is that the symptoms cannot be explained by another condition.

So, in the article we’re looking at today, the authors walk us through our current understanding of the mechanisms behind depression and three neurodegenerative diseases:

1. Alzheimer’s Disease (AD)
  2. Parkinson’s Disease (PD)
  3. Huntington’s Disease (HD)

They highlight not only the distinct features of depression in this context, but also the similarities between the mechanisms of depression and the mechanisms of these three diseases.

The authors also discuss what this means for treatment.

What causes depression?

Before diving into how depression intersects with these three diseases, the authors examine what we know about the causes of depression.

The common understanding that depression results from a chemical imbalance is actually oversimplified.

In reality, there is no universal mechanism to explain the causes of depression.

The authors go in-depth on some of the proposed mechanisms, which are illustrated on the infographic below. I encourage you to review the full article for more details on each one.

What are the mechanisms behind neurodegenerative disease?

Different neurodegenerative diseases have different causes and distinct presentations. But, there is significant overlap in the mechanisms behind them.

These include:

• Atypical protein assembly
  • Excitotoxicity
  • Reduced trophic support and neuroplasticity
  • Oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction
  • Neuroinflammation

You can see how these mechanisms overlap with the causes of depression. This creates a complex web in which these disorders can influence and exacerbate each other.

Okay. Let’s look very high-level at depression that co-occurs with these three disorders, particularly with respect to treatment.

1. Alzheimer’s Disease and MDD

MDD is highly prevalent in patients with Alzheimer’s Disease. There is a wide range of reported incidence due to variations in diagnostic criteria, but to give you a general sense of where we stand, this study reported that MDD is present in about 40% of AD cases.

Compared to patients who are diagnosed with AD or MDD alone, the number of hospitalizations is considerably higher for patients who present with both AD and MDD. Most significantly, there’s an increased mortality rate for individuals with comorbid depression and AD.

Treatment

The evidence is variable in quality, but there are a few non-pharmacological strategies that appear to alter the course of MDD in AD:

• Specific regimens of music therapy have shown effectiveness. (2017)
  • Reminiscence therapy, multisensory stimulation therapy, and behavioral management with occupational therapy may also be beneficial, but more research is needed in these areas. (2017)
  • Exercise has mixed reports as a treatment. But, it should be noted that physical activity can reduce the risk for both depression and neurodegeneration.

Regarding medication, there is evidence against the effectiveness of common depression medications (like SSRIs, SNRIs, and MAOIs) for this population. Non-traditional agents like omega-3 supplementation show promise, but more research is needed.

2. Parkinson’s Disease and MDD

Studies show that 10–45% of PD patients are affected by clinically significant depression.

Compared to all other motor and non-motor symptoms, MDD has been identified as the greatest predictor of quality of life for individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. Unfortunately, depression is often under-recognized by physicians.

Treatment

This clinical study found that aerobic physical exercise had a positive effect on both motor symptoms and scores on the Beck Depression Inventory.

Deep brain stimulation and repetitive transcranial stimulation have also been shown to improve depressive symptoms.

Regarding medication, the article provides an in-depth examination of pharmacological options. While some have shown effectiveness, they are also associated with negative side effects.

3. Huntington’s Disease and MDD

Most studies suggest the prevalence of depression in HD ranges between 15–69%. The wide variability may be due to the use of different testing tools, including:

Depression is the most common psychiatric complaint in HD patients. And, studies have found that depressive symptoms may precede motor and cognitive symptoms by years, if not decades.

It has been proposed that the psychiatric symptoms of HD may affect quality of life more than the classic motor symptoms. It is also critical to note that suicide rates among individuals with HD are 4–6x higher than the general population.

Hence, it is paramount to diagnose and treat MDD early.

Treatment

MDD has been markedly undertreated in patients with HD. In fact, about half of HD patients who show depressive symptoms end up receiving no treatment.

Unfortunately, even when patients do receive treatment, there is a significant lack of evidence to guide their care path.

Regarding non-pharmacological treatment, a 2001 study showed an improved quality of life for HD patients who engaged in motivational therapy. Physical exercise and environmental enrichment have also shown promise in HD mice.

There is also a dearth of evidence with regard to medication. The article does call out one medication that is not recommended, and provides mechanistic support for some others.

Discussion

Despite years of research, there is still no effective treatment to prevent the progression of AD, PD, and HD.

Depressive symptoms are very common in patients with these diagnoses, and depression increases the overall burden of disease. Therefore, appropriate non-pharmacological and/or pharmacological treatment is essential.

The demand for new, effective interventions is further underscored by the poor effectiveness of standard antidepressant therapy to treat depression that co-occurs with these diseases. Instead, interventions used with these patients must target the specific mechanisms that contribute to their depression.

For instance, physical exercise and environmental enrichment improve neuroplasticity by increasing BDNF, a protein that contributes to neuroplasticity. These interventions have shown positive effects in patients with MDD and neurodegenerative conditions, but more studies are needed to prove their effectiveness.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(Please note: These are my personal takeaways. They are not mentioned specifically in the article.)

1. This article went deep into the mechanisms of these diseases and their treatments. This is the future of OT.

Not gonna lie—this was a hard read.

But, it really illustrates how much we are learning about the mechanisms behind diseases and their treatments. As OTs, we must not shy away from science like this. As this article demonstrated, our treatments can have just as strong of a neurobiological impact as the medications often prescribed to these patients. And, it is up to us to have a basic understanding of the body systems we are impacting—and why different treatments are more beneficial for certain populations.

2. OTs have such an important role to play in dementia care.

This article really drove home the complexity of dementia care. And, for me, it highlighted the need for skilled OTs and systems to support their work. Non-pharmacological approaches like ours are often the best route to increasing quality of life for patients and their care partners. On that note, I’m so thankful to be joined by Rachel Wiley next week for a discussion on what this holistic care looks like in practice.

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
Galts, C. P. C., Bettio, L. E. B., Jewett, D. C., Yang, C. C., Brocardo, P. S., Rodrigues, A. L. S., Thacker, J. S., & Gil-Mohapel, J. (2019). Depression in neurodegenerative diseases: Common mechanisms and current treatment options. Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews, 102, 56–84.

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with OT (and Club member!), Rachel Wiley. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

There’s so much more information and research becoming available in the prevention of these diseases and disorders. Some additional information worth reading which makes the link between gut health and brain health:

Interesting to see the increase in MDD, AD etc. and our increasing processed food lifestyles. Does OT have a role to play in supporting healthy occupations which may support the prevention of such disease? Definitely worth consideration.

3 Likes

YES! This is what I am constantly thinking about. What business models could OT leverage to start shifting our profession towards prevention. Or, at very least, early intervention at the first signs of trouble.

I listened to the Andrew Huberman podcast on the neuroscience of depression. And, you are right that diet changes like increasing Omega-3, EPAs seem to have increasing support in the research.

In the podcast next week, @rachel12 and I also discuss the nuances of exercise for this population- as especially in moderate and advanced dementia this becomes really complex!

Also, @carlin, I need to call you this week- because I feel like every topic we cover comes down to lifestyle medicine…

2 Likes

I may add another perspective or nuance to the conversation about prevention. While I think OTPs absolutely have a role in helping community members reduce risk for types of dementia and other conditions like MDD, I think it’s important to consider how we present the information to the public. While it may only account for small percentage of cases, genetics do play a role in risk for dementia. If we imply that anyone can prevent dementia with lifestyle changes, I think we may unintentionally promote a narrative that people living with dementia “brought this on themselves”, which is something I want to strongly avoid. So YES to reducing risk, YES to making healthy lifestyle changes, AND, I think we should remain thoughtful about how we engage in these conversations. Thanks for the space to have this meaningful dialogue, @SarahLyon!

6 Likes

Wow, such a great point @rachel12.

It seems like the same goes for depression. While we can reduce risk, there is also likely a genetic factor.

I realized the infographic from the article didn’t come through above- so I just added it back in. I think this graphic it is really helpful in illustrating the complexity of “cause” as we currently understand it when it come to depression.

1 Like

BDNF is the hg factor when it comes to cognitive impairments & neurodegenerative diseases. Reducing neuroinflammation through gut health is definitely important, and also a controllable variable. For all the (uncontrollable) physical impairments and degeneration that come with AD, PD, & HD; the one (controllable) variable is our response to it. I say our, and not just the client, because of the statement on suicide rates for those with HD. The implication there is a discomfiting reality where the ability to bring meaningful care and purpose to mental health recommendations by the health professional is hindered - possibly by a lack in the educational curriculum to prepare and enhance the abilities of the practitioner when it comes to holistic medical care?
Of course, it’s a harsh reality for the patient and in the face of addressing the myriad of physical complications it may be difficult to prioritize the mental wellness appropriately, too.
Choosing how we respond emotionally is within our control (CBT) but I wonder how effective that ability remains when metacognition is impaired over time such as with HD/AD/PD?
The OTPF stresses self-regulation from peds to lifespan. I believe OTs are in a great position to recommend mental health wellness efforts for these specific populations and it would make a bigger impact if the protocol to address mental wellness began as early intervention for HD/AD/PD populations rather than “when it becomes a problem.”
OT is in a great space for addressing mental wellness with the neurotrophic benefits of exercise for each population - we just may need to bill creatively!
Intervention possibility: combine LSVT BIG program exercises + interoceptive awareness & self-regulation education?

4 Likes

Much appreciation for this article review! Being able to reinforce to our patients that their depression has no single universal mechanism feels so important, and can underscore our role as OTs in providing a variety of non-pharmacological interventions that could boost quality of life. This has me reflecting on the challenges with introducing psychosocial intervention options with patients or their caregivers. I find in our clinic, patients often come into the OT experience expecting a more physically/biomechanically based treatment approach (at least here in the US). Many only seem interested interventions that seem physically based, turning down my attempts at broaching the mental health aspects of their condition. (I usually wait a session or two to dip my toe in the water there… but often find the patient isn’t interested in going down the “mental health” road.) Do you have any tips, resources, or favorite discussion starter tips for beginning that type of conversation with a patient or their family? I’m thinking of situations where, as the therapist, I think we should incorporate something like multi-sensory stimulation or reminiscence therapy, but know the patient or their family member is going to see that as a little “out there”…

3 Likes

Hi @jenna6! Such great thoughts and questions! Tomorrrow, I’m going to share a documenation example that showcases folding in a depression screen into your eval process.

@rachel12, do you have any other insights around this?

This is only quasi related, but I always think of my interview with Vanessa Yanez about how she broaches more sensitive topics like sexuality with patients. This might be a helpful listen, even though the practice area is different.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, @SarahLyon and @jenna6! This is such a wonderful topic for discussion. My experience is mostly with PLWD and their care partners. From this perspective, I find that if I approach these types of interventions by first identifying the care partner’s primary goals and concerns, then we have an easier “in”. For example, they may say it’s challenging for them to engage their family member living with dementia in activities. If we dig into why this is happening (which may lead us to a discussion about depression), then they are often more receptive to trying different approaches.
When I work with PLWD who have mild dementia, I will ask them what their goals are. If they tell me they want to continue to participate in their meaningful daily occupations, I often educate them on the pillars of brain health and how we can maximize each one. This leads us to the importance of overall mental health and well-being.
I’m not sure if that totally addressed your question, @jenna6, but I hope some of this may be helpful! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful thoughts!

1 Like

And to Sarah’s earlier point, I find it’s important to administer depression screens for both the client and care partner! This can open up the door to a meaningful conversation.

2 Likes

This is a very interesting article to explore. My grandmother shared some insight with me during the beginning stages of her Alzheimer’s diagnosis.

I believe prevention in the form of social participation is critical regarding depression and neurodegenerative diseases. There comes a point in the beginning stages where the individual can be aware of the changes that are currently happening and the changes to come. I believe this is a big contributor to depression during this stage.

During a conversation with my grandmother when she was about 75 years old, she expressed that anyone she ever knew, had ever spent time with, grew up with, or worked alongside had already passed on. Most of her siblings (she was one of 20 children) had already passed, all her old coworkers had passed, her friends, their friends, and neighbors had all passed away before her. She felt very alone & isolated (outside of her own children and grandchildren) and I believe this too contributes to depression simultaneously with Alzheimer’s.

Maybe prevention can also include finding new social circles, new activities to keep busy, and exploring new roles amid the diagnosis- to continue with a sense of purpose & community.

2 Likes