Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy vs No Therapy in mild to moderate Parkinson disease

Read Full Text: Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy vs No Therapy in mild to moderate Parkinson disease (Free to access, but must create a JAMA account)
Journal: JAMA Neurology (2018 Impact Factor 12.3)
Year Published: 2016
Ranked 42nd on our 2014-2019 list of the 50 most influential articles

Parkinson’s Disease (PD) is our most-discussed diagnosis in the Club, so far. PD therapy is a hot topic right now because there is so much promise behind exercise-based neuroplasticity.

But, this week’s article takes a look at the age old question:

Is any therapy better than no therapy?

The answer appears to be: probably not.

In this large-scale randomized control trial, we find that patients with mild-to-moderate PD did not show immediate or medium-term benefits from low-dose, patient-centered, goal-directed OT and PT.

We have a lot to learn from this article.

First, it pushes us to make sure we are delivering evidence-based treatments to our clients.

Secondly, it drives home the fact that the verbiage many of us use to justify treatments— “Patient demonstrates functional deficits and therefore needs OT”—is not enough. Writing a line like that simply isn’t convincing, especially when physicians are reading articles like this one.

What population did this research include?

The study included 762 patients with mild-to-moderate PD. Mean age was 70 years.

The patients were recruited from 38 sites across the UK. All patients had self- or caregiver-reported limitations in ADLs.

How was OT/PT utilized in this study?

Patients were randomly assigned to the “PT and OT therapy” group or the “no therapy” group (the control group).

PT and OT were delivered in the community or outpatient setting. Before the trial, a framework for therapy content was developed and agreed upon by expert therapist work groups.

After initial assessments by therapists, therapy was tailored to the individual patient using a patient-centered, joint goal-setting approach.

What did the actual therapy programs look like?

The median number of sessions (of OT and PT combined) was 4.

The mean time per session was 58 minutes.

And the mean duration of therapy programs was 8 weeks.

Occupational therapy logs showed that the most frequent interventions were for:

• Transfers
  • Dressing and grooming
  • Sleep and fatigue
  • Indoor mobility
  • Household tasks
  • Other environmental issues

The authors make a point of noting what was NOT included in the sessions.

1. Only 3 PTs provided PD-specific exercises. There was no formal exercise progression protocol for any patient.
  2. The interventions from OT were focused on equipment provision, onward referral, and other advice. There was little task-related practice.

What assessments were used?

Primary:

Secondary:

What were the results?

There was definitely some complexity and nuance to the results. For example, even though patients did not show any clinically significant improvement on the NEADL, there was borderline significance in favor of therapy on the EuroQol.

But, overall, the outcomes were pretty grim, which led the authors to conclude:

This evidence does not support the use of low-dose, goal-directed PT and OT in the early stages of PD.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

1. We should probably stop insisting that “any therapy is better than no therapy.”

As therapists, we need to recognize that we probably have a bias as to the efficacy of the therapy we are providing.

This bias can lead us to believe that all of the therapy we provide is beneficial—especially if it is patient-centered and goal-oriented.

But, in reality—like all health professions—we have historically provided treatment that probably did not benefit our patients in the ways we would have hoped.

The good news is that when have the courage to recognize this, it can push us to needed innovation. For one such story, I recommend this TED Talk.

2. You could feel the authors’ shock about the kind of therapy that was being delivered.

I may be reading into the dry journal-style writing a bit, but from what I can gather, the authors were shocked at the therapy being provided.

Or, more importantly, what wasn’t provided.

I felt like they went out of their way to drive home the serious lack of focus on exercise. The guidelines we looked at previously told us that exercise should be the foundation of all Parkinson’s Disease therapy because of the promise of exercise-based neuroplasticity.

And, as to the OT provided (the most-used interventions all put the patient in a passive role—which is a terrible posture to be in for behavior change. As they mentioned, there was little actual practice (and, therefore, there was little active learning) that was happening in the therapy sessions.

Patient-centered goals alone are simply not sufficient—especially if we are not setting our clients up to actually modify their habits and behavior.

3. When justifying why therapy is needed, we need to get specific.

It’s good to note that this article appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association: Neurology, so the intended audience is neurologists (and probably some general practice doctors). If they are reading this research, it is really up to us to get specific about the new evidence that has emerged, and what we can do differently to help their patients.

It is also good to consider that payers may also be weighing evidence like this when it comes to reimbursements. So, it is really important to get specific about the type of therapy we are providing. “Needs therapy for functional deficits” might be accurate, but we need to specify the type of therapy we intend to deliver—and why that therapy will likely help our patients.

Listen to my takeaways in podcast form:

(Possibly) Earn CEUs/PDUs for reading this article

Many of you can receive continuing education credits for reading this article. Here’s a form to help you do it, along with information to help you understand who qualifies.

And, here’s the full APA citation you many need:

Clarke, C., Walker, M., Sackley, C., Patel, S., Ives, N., Dowling, F. and Woolley, R. (2016). Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy and Mild to Moderate Parkinson’s Disease. JAMA Neurology, 73(7), p.894.

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

1 Like

After reading what OT included and how little therapy they received from OT of course they didn’t show any immediate or medium term benefits! I had a resident when I worked at assisted living that had Lewy Body dementia (but was originally diagnosed with Parkinson’s) He was the first patient in our county to go through LSVT Big and Loud training. I met him years after he had this training and he was confident that if he had not had that training so early in his disease process he would have been so much worse off at the point I knew him. There is so much that can be done to help patients with PD stay safe and functional as the disease progresses. While introducing adaptive equipment for use as function declines, this should not be the focus of early intervention.

6 Likes

Every interaction has impact on person. Maybe some scale which measures mental health parameters could be included. Even primary therapy was not giving results, some secondary benefits could be found.

4 Likes

I read the article and also watched the TED talk. PT and OT provided appear to be very less and did not target the specific issues. I was disappointed to read the focus of OT intervention ( I do not agree on giving AE to clients early on without trying adaptive techniques). The median duration of PD in participants was 3.1 years and it appears that none of them had received any therapy prior to this study participation.
The article states that “mild to moderate disease may not respond to therapy but severe cases may”. Contrary to this, if the participants had received specific task-related practice and a formal exercise progression protocol with correct dose and frequency, I am sure results would be different. I have seen some amazing results with the use of LSVT Big and Loud when used early in the disease process.
Sarah, I agree with you that we need to question our practice and be specific in documenting the need for OT services. Sometimes, we get into the rut of writing " OT for functional deficits" without explaining the specific reason. Research/Evidence such as this pushes us to scrutinize our practice and hopefully modify/change it. Thanks for another thought provoking article.

5 Likes

@sanchala and @dawn2 I agree that there are multiple programs out there, like LSVT Big, that show such promise for these patients. I hope that patients are not deprived of therapy opportunities in early Parkinson’s Disease because of this article. I think it was helpful to see what didn’t work, but we need to be very careful to distinguish that there are protocols that hold much more promise.

And, that even over the past 3 years since this article has come out, the base of evidence for early therapy seems to have grown. I always think of this Mayo Clinic article from 2018 when I think about Parkinson’s which says this:

No medications are proven to slow the progression of Parkinson disease (PD). Of special concern with longer-standing PD is cognitive decline, as well as motor symptoms unresponsive to dopamine replacement therapy. Not fully recognized is the substantial accumulating evidence that long-term aerobic exercise may attenuate PD progression.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I agree with you @veselin! This is a great reminder that assessments are not perfect and typically only look at very specific parameters.

I think the best advice I’ve seen about assessments is to try do several that cover different areas, like you mentioned. It would have been interesting to see if the sessions influenced the patients’ confidence or outlook.

Also my impression of the primary assessment utilized (this is just from Googling it) is that it has not been widely used in recent years… Nottingham Extended Activities of Daily Living (NEADL) Scale

I’d be curious of others had more first hand knowledge about the assessment!

2 Likes

Sarah, Sanchala, and Dawn,

I was excited to see the topic and depressed as I read the outcomes. Sometimes one has to step back and re-evaluate articles. This was one that I had to read a few times and think about what I know about Parkinson’s Disease related to the principle of neuroplasticity. Sarah the article of Aerobic Exercise: Evidence for a Direct Brain Effect to Slow Parkinson Disease Progression is very positive about using exercise to improve Neurophysiology and Brain function. Obviously this study completed in 2018 was not available in 2016 when this one took place but occupational therapist need to know this information to counter the negative reviews which physicians and reimbursement payers may have if they read this article.

I was excited by the study’s use of the PDQ-39 but let down that the assessment results did not drive the interventions. The interventions as Sarah noted were ‘equipment provisions, onward referral, and other advice.’ How do these fit with the possible areas of concern related to emotional wellbeing, stigma, social support, cognition, communication, and bodily discomfort? There appears to have been data collected but not considered in the client-centered goals. No wonder there was not changes on reassessment? Areas assessed like emotional wellbeing, stigma, social support, cognition, communication, and bodily discomfort were not addressed with in intervention. Gaudet (2002) indicated the PDQ-39 was a reliable tool for measurement of Quality of Life. Again, intervention and tool does not appear to agree.

Cognitive training related to Internal and External memory strategies, use of forward and backward chaining, and methods of addressing executive function may have been helpful to these clients who were community dwelling adults (Mahle & Ward, 2019). Another thought is that a large opportunity was missed to educate and train on the importance of their home environment related to access of materials and preventing falls (Elliott & Leland, 2018). (Mahle & Ward, 2019)

I am not familiar with the Nottingham Extended Activities of Daily Living. I think the Activity Card Sort might have been more appropriate? https://www.sralab.org/rehabilitation-measures/activity-card-sort

‘The ACS is the only assessment available that measures the full range of activities that adults do and includes 20 instrumental activities, 35 low-physical-demand leisure activities, 17 high-physical-demand leisure activities, and 17 social activities.’ https://myaota.aota.org/shop_aota/product/1247

Elliott, S., & Leland, N. E. (2018). Occupational Therapy Fall Prevention Interventions for Community-Dwelling Older Adults: A Systematic Review. The American journal of occupational therapy: official publication of the American Occupational Therapy Association , 72 (4), 7204190040p1–7204190040p11. doi:10.5014/ajot.2018.030494

Gaudet, P. (2002). Measuring the impact of parkinson’s disease: An occupational therapy perspective. The Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 69 (2), 104-13. Retrieved from http://proxy154.nclive.org/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/212990218?accountid=13601

Mahle, A., & Ward, A. (2019). Adult physical conditions: Intervention Strategies for occupational therapy assistants (Vol. 1). Philadelphia PA: F.A. Davis.

6 Likes

Totally off subject but new learning for me and important for OT’s to know.

Shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA) is real and preventable. It is caused by vaccine injection into the shoulder capsule rather than the deltoid muscle. The shoulder structures become inflamed and cause patients to experience pain, a decreased range of motion, and a decreased quality of life. Physicians and healthcare providers can eliminate SIRVA and other injection site events by refreshing their knowledge of and adopting proper landmarking and injection techniques. Awareness is crucial to identifying patients who are displaying signs of this injury so they can access treatment in a timely manner.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6347325/

4 Likes

Wow- what an article! I agree with previous comments made. The article really reinforces the need to get back to our roots of being occupation-based and client-centered. OT is so much more than just providing exercises and adaptive equipment. It’s about getting to the root of what is meaning and relevant to the client and how we can best help promote their functioning to increase their quality of life so they can live life to the fullest!

6 Likes

Ha, yes! You definitely described my emotional journey with this article! I had been excited all year to read a therapy vs no therapy design, and then was so bummed by the outcomes.

I’m glad to hear your thoughts on the PDQ 39. It feels like every Parkinson’s research we’ve looked at has used it - and it is definitely what I would be using in a clinical setting. (I also love that it is free!)

I’m also glad that you brought up the Activity Card Sort. That assessment was used in this randomized control trial along with the PDQ 39 - which feels like a great combo! https://club.otpotential.com/t/efficacy-of-occupational-therapy-for-patients-with-parkinsons-disease/159

3 Likes

Oh! This is good to know! I can see these patients slipping through to our caseload, and it is important that we should be able to recognize the signs!

4 Likes

I would not have thought the shoulder pain was a real problem. My mom and the pediatrician always told me to move my arm or have the kids move their arm after vaccines.
The other group of OT practitioners who needs to know this information are educators. When students get the mandatory vaccines watch for lingering side-effects.

4 Likes

I agree about going back to the roots of our OT! I’ve been pondering lately what going to our roots means… I think that much of what OT stand out 100 years ago our founders didn’t even have language to describe the benefits of the therapy like we do today.

My own thoughts is that the therapy was successful for these reasons:

• it gave patients agency over their health
  • it positioned the patients as active participants in their health
  • over all the approaches were function based versus component based
  • and, finally, the therapists were focused on long term outcomes
3 Likes

As a clinical reviewer, I wanted to bring up a point of discussion regarding dosing for outpatient OT services. I am not going to be discussing the Parkinson’s disease angle of the article Sarah reviewed, as I am thinking more BIG PICTURE. To keep OT valuable as a service, we cannot just “give away” visits that are not producing results! There is literature out there (mostly from the PT world) on how many visits are average for various orthopedic conditions, but we as OTs need to do more about figuring out appropriate dosing for various developmental and adult conditions. I am not saying that this should be formulaic, but there HAS to be some way to determine how many visits are needed to make a FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE on the basis of severity of deficits (via ADL status, standardized testing, and client/caregiver surveys). Episodic care is becoming more accepted in pediatrics (I have more experience in peds than adults) and I would guess there is some semblance of episodic care in treatment of adults as well. The article Sarah shared does not directly lead to a “return on investment” mindset, but OTs need to really consider how many visits will actually make a meaningful difference in the client and caregivers’ lives versus just doing maintenance/repetitive tasks for months on end that should really be a part of the home program. So, when I think about therapy versus no therapy, I think about whether the OT services are really skilled in nature and a good investment of time and dollars. I firmly believe that many OT providers keep clients on caseload for too long or for goals that are not client-focused or practical, and this dilutes our value. We need to do a better job of focusing our efforts and empowering our clients/families to take on the responsibility of goal achievement and we need to know when to discharge (and that is not when they have met their goals 100%). Clients, especially pediatric clients and their families, need to have time to practice skills in the natural environment and return to therapy when there are new areas identified that need to be addressed. Having some guidelines of dosing would help us know when there should be therapy and when to stop. Just my two-cent rant! Thanks for listening!

8 Likes

YES! I love all of this @Lori, I instantly thought of how we need to do a better job of partnering with some of the big EMR companies, like WebPT, who are poised to gather tons of data on dosing and how many sessions are really delivering functional results.

And, I ABSOLUTELY agree that as therapists we need to be way more concerned with what is happening outside of our sessions. Because, the home environment is where change is really going to happen. And, yes, we need to be thinking more long-term for our patients and working to set them up for success long after therapy has ended.

I’d be curious to hear if in your clinical reviewing, if you see therapists who are doing these two things well - and what that looks like practically in their documentation.

3 Likes

Sarah,

If I look at the documentation over the course of an episode of care (at least in developmental pediatric cases), the therapists who do these things well: (1) have a very narrow goal focus (3-4 short-term goals max); 2. have goals that target the parents’ most pressing concerns at this point in time; 3. request visits in decreasing amounts, that is, starting out with weekly or twice a week and then decreasing frequency over the weeks/months; and 4. document the success/follow-through of home programming (or lack thereof), including using coaching methods and teach-back opportunities to get parents involved.

8 Likes

I love this conversation (even though the article is a tough reality to face). I newly opened a pediatric private practice and am following an episodic care model from day 1. I believe it’s the best use of limited annual visits, and by targeting 1-2 of the most pressing goals at a time I am able to focus treatment on specifically improving those areas. This increases the likelihood of showing measurable improvement on outcomes, since they are so specific and because visits are more frequent. Between episodes, the kids will have a chance to truly generalize and solidify gains made before moving on to target a new area in a subsequent episode. Of course the frequency of visits, length of episode, and length of the break between episodes is all based on the specific needs of the client and family. I’m grateful for these documentation tips as it’s helping me know that I’m on the right track with how I’m documenting!

While this approach makes the most sense to me based on motor learning theory’s approach to practicing new skills, I would love to know if anyone has specific articles to back up this treatment model (Sarah, I haven’t browsed the club yet to see if any older articles hit on this)? I know there are numerous studies supporting intensives for specific approaches like CIMT, but I would love to know if there are studies favoring intense (2-3x/week for shorter duration) episodes vs. 2-4x/month on an ongoing basis in general for outpatient pediatric outcomes. If anyone knows of any, I’d greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!

5 Likes

@andrea2 I love having a pediatric OT jump in here, because so much of the research we look at has implications across practice areas!

The approach you are looking to take, definitely reminds me of principles from the CO-OP approach! Here’s our discussion of the Co-op research.

And here’s a blog post I found that gives a nice outline of the principles.

As far as focusing on empowering parents for carryover in the home, both the PLAY Project and MEAL program seem to have promising results from focusing on coaching parents.

I’d be curious if @katie and @bryden have any other research they would direct you to!

(Also, @andrea2) I just love the work you are up to!!!)

3 Likes

Thanks Sarah! I am actually familiar with the CO-OP approach and used it with one of my first clients last month! We only had 7 sessions to work with due to insurance challenges, but we did those 7 sessions in 2 weeks and really focused on practicing the “Goal-Plan-Do-Check” strategy across a variety of activities, using some of the additional principles of the CO-OP model. Since the client’s concerns were primarily related to executive functioning, this approach was a good fit and we were able to achieve the goal! For the last 2 sessions Mom did some “hands-on” with the client while I coached to help improve carryover at home after the episode ended. I am interested to see how much will be retained when I see this client again in the future.

I have also gone through Level I DIR training, which also uses an intensive and parent-centric model. I am not yet certified (that’s another class), though some of those principles also guide my treatment. I know PLAY Project is based on similar concepts - I will definitely check out the links you posted!

Thanks Sarah!

3 Likes

Sherry,
Thank you for sharing this post. I too was saddened as I read the outcomes. From my perspective, before reading the article I would have thought that anything would be better than nothing. Thank you for sharing about the article of Aerobic Exercise and direct brain effect to slow the disease’s progression. I will surely read it and I am excited to look into this further. I think it is important that we continue to research and try to improve their quality of life. Again, thanks for sharing!