Belonging, occupation, and human well-being

Read Full Text: Belonging, occupation, and human well-being: An exploration (Available in ProQuest via NBCOT)
Journal: Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy (Impact Factor 1.098)
Author: Karen R. Whalley Hammell
Year Published: 2014
Ranked 30th on our 2014-2019 list of the 50 most influential articles

Big-picture article breakdown for OTs

If you’ve ever gone into a patient’s room and been asked to come back later because they have visitors (which you probably have) you probably have a sense of what this article is talking about.

You might have wondered why they’d want to visit with family and friends versus engaging in your “meaningful ADL occupations.” Presumably, it’s because in that moment, connection was more important to them than independence.

Perhaps this is a case of us not fully understanding the occupations that patients feel are most meaningful!

This article argues that the way we currently conceive of occupations—as being divided into the three categories of “ADLs, work, and play” —misses out on one of the most fundamental motivators of human activity: belonging. After all, connecting with others through reciprocal care is the heart of what we do.

This is the first article in the Club that comes directly from an occupational therapy journal, and it is the first one that specifically addresses OT theory. So it is one that should hit home for many of us, and I’m really excited to hear your thoughts.

What OTs need know about the details

There has been lots of critique of our current understanding of occupation.

This article does not hold back on sharing the critiques of our current understanding of occupation. Here are some of the words you will see in this article to explain our current understandings of occupation:

• Simplistic
  • Value-laden (in a bad way)
  • Decontextualized
  • Insufficiently descriptive of subjective experience
  • Flimsy
  • Fuzzy

The author argues that our current triad (ADL, work, and play) puts too much emphasis on doing and independence, and feeds into a cultural script that simply does not represent how people and our world actually function.

There are lots of great details in this article about what belonging can entail, so I encourage you to read the whole thing! As a teaser, I will say that belonging is not confined to family and friends, but can also extend to nature, ancestors, and culture at large.

There have also been new models proposed—but they have not been readily adopted.

As good problem-solving OTs, where there have been critiques, there have also been new models offered. Ann Allart Wilcock wrote a paper Reflections on doing, being and becoming, which proposed a new model—followed by an even more fleshed-out model in An occupational perspective of health in 2006.

Wilcock’s basic model is this:

Doing + being, becoming, and belonging = survival and health

Throughout the article, Michale Iwama is also mentioned for his work in pushing for more culturally relevant theories, especially his 2003 article, Toward Culturally Relevant Epistemologies in Occupational Therapy. The Kawa Model, which is also Iwama’s work, is highlighted in this article, as well.

Takeaways for OT Practitioners

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

I expect that future occupational therapy practitioners will (rightly) conceive of occupation differently than I was taught.

Creating our own language and categories around occupation was likely an essential step in validating ourselves as a unique profession. But now, as an established profession, it is my belief that we should be shifting into a new phase. We need to start re-examining some of the language that we use—and aligning it more closely with the latest research (along with the language used by other professions).

I’m not totally sure what this will look like, but after reading this article, I fully expect that future occupational therapy practitioners will have a much more holistic understanding of occupation than what I was taught.

An underlying vibe of this article is that a new understanding of occupation will bring us in closer alignment with other professions and organizations.

This article draws heavily on research from the fields of anthropology, sociology, and psychology. One of the basic arguments is that continuing to use outdated descriptors and categories of occupation/human functioning will hold our profession back. Not only will it keep occupational therapy siloed as a profession, but it will also prevent us from forming critical common ground with other professions.

I needed a lot more Brene Brown in this article :slight_smile:

I was thinking about Brene Brown the whole time I was reading this article.

For me, she has popularized much of the research about Belonging, and her work would be one of my recommended resources for anyone who is interested in the topic of belonging. Her 2010 TED Talk The Power of Vulnerability and her book, Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone are two pieces of content I would recommend.

I’ve found a lot of benefit from her work in my personal life, and now it seems time to start thinking about how it applies to my professional life.

Listen to my takeaways in podcast form:

Find other platforms for listening to the OT Potential Podcast here.

Discussion-starter questions:

Have you personally experienced our current understanding of occupation to be inadequate?

What are practical ways a fuller understanding of belonging as occupation could influence your practice?

For those of us in the US, our categorization of occupation does include “social participation,” do you think this sufficiently captures belonging?

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing this important article! I had not read it before and think the authors share key information. Based on listening to your podcast and reading the article I think I will add a small section on Belonging to my OT Evaluations under the Occupational Profile section. Points that really spoke to me were the consideration of: occupations that increase our connectedness to nature (I am a huge fan of nature and its many benefits), the importance of safe haven places for all including those with mental illness, and community connectedness including volunteer or doing for others in the community.

16 Likes

This is a great article. I’ve been struggling with the difference between “social participation” and “belonging” in my outpatient pediatric practice lately. I work with a number of kiddos with ASD and developmental delays that have deficits that fall into the “social participation” category. For example: not greeting people properly, eye contact, struggling with different types of social play. BUT parents will also tell me that their children are having trouble belonging, like getting invited to play groups, having close friendships, etc. Two very different, but entangled beasts.

14 Likes

Wow, @emily4, this is a great example of belonging versus social participation. To me, social participation (to use the words of the article) connotes actions that we “do.”

But, belonging is not one sided and cannot be forced. I like how this article nudged me to think of belonging outside of peer groups- for example within nature, or within a family lineage. It does seem really important that everyone have at least one place where they feel they belong.

7 Likes

I’m so glad that @SarahLyon encouraged a complete read of this article and I second her encouragement for others to do the same! My reading of it wound up leading to a re-scrutinization of my copy of the OTPF, so I apologize in advance for the length of this post!

Reading through the first paragraph I found myself thinking: well what about IADLs? They don’t mention that category and it include activities “motivated by love and concern for the well-being of others.” I keep a printed copy of the OTPF in a binder at my desk so I immediately reached for it to confirm my recollection. IADLs indeed include care of others, care of pets, child rearing, and religious and spiritual activities and expression. Reading further under Religious and Spiritual Activities and Expression I found “engaging in activities that allow a sense of connectedness to something larger than oneself or that are especially meaningful, such as taking time out to play with a child, engaging in activities in nature, and helping others in need.” Also, under Social Participation I found that it can also be considered “involvement in a subset of activities that involve social situations with others and that support social interdependence” and under the Client Factor of Spirituality that it is “the way they experience their connectedness to the moment, to self, to others, to nature, and to the significant or sacred.” Granted these findings were all subheadings in small print, so I continued to read the article thinking: these occupations and client factors need to be better represented in their own categories rather than something you squint to find.

Reading the introduction to A Brief History of Theories About the Need to Belong I was reminded of this story: Ubuntu-I am because we are. I know that you all will appreciate this story!

Belonging and doing WITH others…There definitely needs to be an improved emphasis in the OTPF on that distinction. Under Client Factors they break down the subsections into “Person” “Group” and “Population” which implies "I “We” and “All of us”, but upon reading this article I feel as if there needs to be whole separate sections for personal values, beliefs, spirituality, group values, beliefs, spirituality, and population values, beliefs, and spirituality. That may capture more nuance and a more holistic picture of an individual’s experience.

Connectedness to Ancestors…might be included under Social Participation as a family activity, but there’s nothing specific.

Cultural Connectedness…is kind of sprinkled throughout the OTPF especially in Client Factors.

Connectedness to Nature…could be included in play, leisure or social participation, but this is definitely one that I wish had its own category. Based on the comments I’ve read thus far I think that the club members would appreciate Richard Louv’s “Last Child in the Woods” which emphasizes the importance, really essentialness, of being connected to nature.

Belonging as the Experience of “Safe Haven”…this is kind of included in Safety and Emergency Maintenance, but its emphasis is on the basics of maintaining a safe space, rather than feeling safe and secure within that space and with the people around you.

Belonging as Contributing to Others (Doing for Others)…Here’s volunteer exploration and participation, but these two categories are included under work where based on this article I feel that they should occupy their own section. Also, I agree with the article that the IADLs of Care of Others, Child Rearing and other occupations driven by interdependence need to be highlighted and invigorated with respect.

In my OTPF binder I also keep a summary of the theories that my OT program presented us and they include:
The Canadian Model of Occupational Performance and Engagement
Occupational Adaptation Model
Rehabilitative Model
Person Environment Occupation Model
Ecology of Human Performance
Functional Group Model
Model of Human Occupation
Recovery Model
Sensory Integration Model
Motor Control Model
Biomechanical Model
Dynamic Interactional Model
Intentional Relationship Model
Cognitive Disability Model
Kawa Model

The only models that emphasize interdependence are the Functional Group Model and the Intentional Relationship Model, so 2/14? I’m so happy to have read this article and I will definitely be forwarding it to my doctoral adviser for his consideration since he co-teaches the foundations in OT course. Foundational theory has always been an interest to me, so I will definitely be doing additional research into this!

18 Likes

@Maggie great informative breakdown!
Thanks for another interesting article!
My major take away from this article is how the basic understanding and interpretation of the OTPF might not be the same for everyone. I think the emphasis on individual and belonging in a group or population might be imbalanced within the OTPF. Use of social participation to reach belonging could have more emphasis. I also noticed the “fuzzy” understanding critique of our occupation. This made me think of a funny meme that I have seen.
I think this meme actually points to both the understanding of our profession and the need to feel connected and have a best friend (in a light-hearted way)!
(I did have to looked up who Brene Brown is, and I plan on watching her Netflix special!)

16 Likes

Oh man, @kerri! It makes my day to introduce someone to Brene Brown! I actually haven’t watched her Netflix special, but I might need to while I’m addressing envelopes to send out founding member stickers tonight! https://www.netflix.com/title/81010166

4 Likes

@maggie , this article definitely led me back to the OT practice framework as well! It looks like the most recent version was released in 2017, and as your highlights show it does seem that connectedness is mentioned throughout (which might be in part due to the article we just read.)

But, that being said, this current article gave me a new lens for looking at the OTPF, and it does seem like there is room for improvement on the emphasis placed on how much concepts like belonging really do motivate people.

I loved the article that you mentioned, and Last Child in the Woods has been on list for awhile and now I’m finally adding it to my Amazon cart.

It is also really good to see the frames of references you learned! I graduated in 2011 and so I missed out on some, for example, I’m sad we didn’t learn occupational adaptation, as it seems like it was being popularized around that time! Anyways, I always love your take on things!!!

6 Likes

I feel like this Journal Club is going to in part be a book club for me because I just added Braving the Wilderness to my Amazon cart. I hadn’t previously been familiar with Brene Brown’s work but I’m intrigued now having watched her TED talks per your recommendation! Are you familiar with Marshall Rosenberg’s Non Violent Communication? His methods of guiding people towards more empathetic connections are truly beautiful.

10 Likes

@monika is this the non-violent communication framework you’ve told me about? (Also, my husband is always making fun of how many books I put in my Amazon cart!)

4 Likes

I have listened to Braving the Wilderness on Audible. I have recommended it to others due to the need to feel (intrinsically) and about our sense of belonging and connectedness.

I have just been reviewing another book called Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve: Self-help Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, and Autism, by Stanley Rosenberg. Cranial nerve stimulation and neuroplasticity work together to increase listening skills, eye contact and facial expression and can often improve social responses from others, increasing the communication and inclusivity for some of our folks on the spectrum. I am so excited about this new awareness!

14 Likes

Yes ma’am @SarahLyon. Thanks for the good reminder @maggie of Rosenberg’s work. Just re-checked the site and they have a yearlong course in compassion! How profound.

And on the article…dannnnnnng. I am in FULL agreement that our current understanding/definitions of occupation tend to be either too complex or limiting (perhaps therefore both).

Real case: I’ve been inspired to reach out to a patient’s local restaurant to bring over/pick up one of his favorite meals to help lift his spirit. His main goal is to get back there on his power scooter and we’re not there yet. It’s not the food he wants, it’s the connection/belonging. And this article makes me inspired to carry out the idea (and now have even more clarity on the “hunch” to do this). Now I may ask the owner if they’d like to leave a personal note with it. Great topic. An important one. We use what we can define. Life begins (or at least deepens) with language. If we can’t easily define it, are we fully then using it?

9 Likes

Hey @kjmeer247! I’ve been hearing about exercises to stimulate the vagus nerve and would be curious to learn the theory explained! Last year, I was diagnosed with a 4th cranial nerve palsy, which impacts my vision- this has helped me understand lots of “quirks” I’ve had all my life. This has made me really interested in the roles that the other cranial nerves play!

4 Likes

Wow, great explanation and story about how language impacts our actions! I agree that this article has given me better language to describe something that we all know on some level to be true: that belonging drives behavior.

4 Likes

@SarahLyon and @kjmeer247, isn’t Polyvagal Theory fascinating?! Although I don’t approve of all his view points I’ve had great success with Harold Blomberg’s Movements the Heal: Rhythmic Movement Training and Primitive Reflex Integration. There are full in-person courses on his techniques, but he includes a set of movements at the back of his book that I have incorporated in my calming/organizing sensory modulation programs as well as to decrease anxiety in otherwise typically functioning kids with consistently good results. I also recommend reading Stephen W. Porges’ The Pocket Guide to Polyvagal Theory: The Transformative Power of Feeling Safe since it provides a good general breakdown of the research and theory.

6 Likes

wowowow ! For more reasons than one.
Having worked for many years on the clinical side of OT addressing mostly Ortho, Neuro, Hand dxs I have not been exactly current with the OT Models/ Frames of reference. Occasionally I would read them just to know I am on track. But this article and the the comments brought all that back in my life center stage. That’s the value of understanding and accepting the ever fresh, highly motivated, intelligent new OT grads.
Belonging and connectedness means a LOT to me personally. I was already an OT for a good number of years when I chose to get married and embrace 2 step children ( 6 and 9 years old ) who had lost their mother. They had a ton of emotional issues. My son also had a Dx of ADHD, auditory language processing difficulty and later also diagnosed with Autism. Both had a very high EQ. Dtr had a high IQ also while son struggled with learning ( as would be expected )despite possessing raw intelligence. He experienced social isolation in middle school combined with difficulty to express his emotions.
And I was put through the Litmus Test of mothering several times in several areas of child rearing during their formative years.
The most important factor was the sense of Belonging ( which I know now ) that was of paramount importance to my children. Which I quickly realized perhaps because of my OT background.
I gave them all that I could from the depths of my body, heart and soul-not realizing that I was practicing such an important part of the OT model of occupation i.e Belonging
I now know that by practicing Belonging, they experienced :

1. Connectedness to their ancestors
  2. Connectedness to their culture and inclusiveness.
  3. Connectedness to nature when we went on road trips or hikes
  4. Experienced Safe Haven
  5. Experienced contributing to others- especially my dtr
  6. Experience of understanding major world religions and understanding their inner selves and feel connectedness with the same.
    Like a lot of mothers I do get compliments for how they have turned out. However, I hardly think it’s me. It is THEY who initiated it, participated in it and sucked out all the best of OT from inside of me and my brain.
    My dtr is now working as an attorney for an esteemed firm. My son working but still not ‘settled’ in a job. I think he will be OK eventually. He is happy. So, providing ‘Belonging’ as an OT concept does achieve behavioral changes and is also holistic.
    Thank you Sarah. Thanks to all those who commented and added to my fund of knowledge. Yes Monica, I agree that life deepens with language.
    Above all- THANKS TO OT !

PS- the ‘likes’ will come later cos I am exhausted right now.

12 Likes

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your story and helping make this article feel even more personal, @sridevi.

After reading your post, I’ve definitely been reflecting on how one of my deepest desires as a parent is to give our children a sense of belonging: in our family, in our faith community, in our town, in their cultural heritage, with nature, and in their own wonderful uniqueness.

It has also helped me think through that one of the most meaningful things we can do as OTs is help our clients restore or find their own sense of belonging.

4 Likes

As a new graduate and entry level practitioner, this article is so fascinating to me. In my OT program, we discussed the Kawa model a lot, and Dr. Iwama, who created this article, came to speak at an event that my school hosted. The Kawa model is a great way to help both practitioners and clients have a better understanding of how holistic OT can be. I think that this model works well with finding belonging because it focuses on how a person’s life is flowing in their current state. I love being able to meet a person where they are and help them mind their meaning and purpose in life again. I think using belonging and/or the Kawa model can help us to become the best practitioners for our patients that we can be.

I think that for me personally, the current understanding of OT is inadequate because no one seems to know who we are. I loved the comment with the meme about knowing OT (because that’s how I always feel). I feel like I always need to explain the breadth and depth of occupational therapy for everyone I meet. I love continuing to learn and grow as a therapist and continue to expand what I know of OT to help become the best therapist I can be.

9 Likes

Great topic and discussion to follow. Thank you all for new resources and books on this topic.Will check them out.
Sarah, would love to read the research by Brene Brown on Belonging.

5 Likes