Infographic: Neurodiversity-Affirming Practices in Occupational Therapy

This is an infographic created based on the article Neurodiversity-Affirming Practices are a Moral Imperative for Occupational Therapy

Submitted by: Katie Caspero @katie
Setting of intended use: Any setting where you are working with neurodiverse individuals. Examples from the pediatric population are given.

What inspired this resource:
This resource was inspired by the challenges I saw when attempting to implement neurodiversity-affirming practices for neurodiverse populations while still helping children and their caregivers reach their goals. I found this article and thought it was extremely practical and wanted to create a graphic to help others be aware of this resource when attempting to change their practices.

How is it utilized:
This article describes practical ways to switch our thinking about older, non-neurodiversity-affirming practices, to newer, more affirming practices. It also explain the “why” behind the importance of this approach and advocates for all OTs to make this shift.

What evidence supports it?
This infographic is based on the research article by Dr. Aaron Dallman, Dr. Kathryn Williams and Lauren Villa.

Dallman, A. R., Williams, K. L., & Villa, L. (2022). Neurodiversity-affirming practices are a moral imperative for occupational therapy. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 10(2), 1-9.

Instructions or tips for utilization:
After reviewing this resource, take time to reflect on if your current OT practices are neurodivsity-affirming. If they are not, try to implement something small, like using co-regulation instead of a token economy, into your practice this week. Small steps towards using a neurodiverse-affirming approach are essential and make an impact.

For a further dive into this article, listen to this podcast where I interview the article author, Dr. Dallman.

See infographic:

Neurodiversity-Affirming Practices for OT (3).pdf (2.4 MB)

2 Likes

This is awesome, @katie! Something like this I would want to print and refer back to! Any tips on printing your infographics? Do you ever use them in this way?

Thanks for this, @katie! The clear and practical clinical takeaways are super useful. These seem like really simple steps way from harmful practices, but make such a big impact on the health and wellness of neurodiverse populations!

1 Like

@SarahLyon Yes I always think of it as something that can be printed and hung on a bulletin board by a desk or in a clinic. I usually print each image full page (not super eco-friendly) but will allow for ease of reading.

1 Like

Thank you for the article , nice resource of information.

1 Like

Totally love this @katie !

1 Like