Ataxia telangiectasia: A review

Read Full Text: Ataxia telangiectasia: A review (Free to access)
Journal: Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases
Year Published: 2016
Ranked 9th on our 2015-2020 list of the 100 most influential OT-related articles

I was reaching the end of this week’s (relatively massive) article, when my eyes suddenly flooded with tears.

That’s because I encountered something we had not yet seen in the OT Potential Club: strength-based recommendations.

In the article, the Johns Hopkins-based authors eloquently and thoroughly reviewed what we know (and don’t know) about ataxia telangiectasia. And, they did so in a way that kept their actual patients (including their challenges and strengths) at the forefront of our minds as readers.

Here’s to more scholarly writing like this article.

What is ataxia telangiectasia?

Ataxia telangiectasia (A-T) is a rare, inherited disorder. It is characterized by impaired coordination (ataxia) and telangiectasia (the widening of tiny blood vessels), along with a constellation of additional symptoms.

Progressive difficulty with coordination is typically identified in this population before age 5.

Life expectancy for those with A-T is approximately 25 years of age.

It is estimated that occurs in as many as 1 in 40,000. This would mean that, statistically, my home state of Nebraska might see as many as 48 people with this condition.

What causes ataxia telangiectasia?

A gene mutation leads to the body having difficulty making a protein called “ATM.” This protein helps recognize and repair damaged DNA. Without ATM, the body’s cells become more unstable. This is the general gist of its cause—but the full mechanism of how ataxia telangiectasia manifests is not fully known.

What we do know is since the dysfunction occurs at a cellular level, systems throughout the body can be impacted. However, the cerebellar region is especially impacted.

What clinical manifestations should we help manage/watch for?

Neurological impairments typically appear during the toddler stage, and continue to progress until the child is about 15 years old, at which point, they tend to plateau.

But, even as the overt neurological symptoms start to level off, other symptoms can worsen. Specifically, an impaired immune system and increased risk of cancer can ultimately contribute to the shortened life expectancy in patients with A-T.

Here are other common signs and symptoms that may impact your therapy:

Neurological impairments*:

• Chorea
  • Athetosis
  • Dystonia
  • Myoclonic jerks
  • Tremors
  • Bradykinesia

*These neurological deficits often lead children with A-T to require wheelchairs during the second decade of life.

Visual impairments:

• Oculomotor apraxia
  • Nystagmus
  • Hypometric saccades
  • Strabismus
  • VOR abnormalities

Potential difficulties with feeding/swallowing:

• Dysphagia
  • Aspiration
  • Involuntary movements impacting self-feeding

Cognition**

• Intellectual functioning
  • Nonverbal memory
  • Verbal abstract reasoning and calculation
  • Executive function
  • Perceptual timing

** Certain cognitive deficits appear relatively early in patients with A-T; they can become more profound over time.

Orthopedic manifestations

• Acquired deformity of the feet

What does the article recommend for management of ataxia telangiectasia?

There is no cure for A-T. Recommended management is supportive and should address the patients’ specific symptoms.

Because the symptomatology is so diverse, many practitioners can be involved in the care of patients with A-T.

Occupational therapy is mentioned as a treatment option for neurological considerations. Here are the recommendations that seemed especially related to OT (and the entire rehab team):

• PT, OT, and SLP may help patients with A-T maintain function
  • Exercise may also help maintain function, but should not be used to the point of fatigue
  • Primary goals for feeding and swallowing are safe, adequate, and enjoyable mealtimes
  • A chest physiotherapy vest (and chest physiotherapy, in general) can help clear the airway to prevent infections
  • Early treatment of foot deformities may slow their progression

Recommendations for the school day (many of them are strengths-based)

The article states that while school presents a challenge for these children because of their neurologic impairments, most kids with A-T are very socially aware and and socially skilled. For this reason, they typically benefit from sustained peer relationships developed at school.

Specific recommendations/strengths relevant to OT include:

• Children with A-T tend to be excellent problem solvers. Their involvement in how to best perform tasks should be encouraged.
  • Visual impairments can make reading difficult. However, most kids with A-T fully understand the meaning and nuances of text that is read to them. Hearing is often normal throughout life, so books on tape may be useful.
  • Early use of word completion software should be encouraged.
  • Allow rest time, shortened days, reduced class schedule, reduced homework, and modified tests as necessary. However, kids with A-T—like all children—need to have goals so they can experience the satisfaction of making progress.
  • Expressive language has been noted as a strength in A-T, even in the later stages of the disease.
  • For everyone, long-term peer relationships can be one of the most rewarding parts of life; for those with A-T, establishing these connections in school years can be helpful.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

There are SO MANY disease-specific resources out there—and we need to be using them.

As I’ve been reading the research this year, I’m truly stunned by how disease-specific resources and recommendations continue to improve, year after year.

This is our second week in a row of looking at an in-depth review of a rare disease.

While I believe that our focus on function will continue to be our bread and butter, we OT professionals cannot afford to ignore disease-specific recommendations and considerations.

Exercise. Exercise. Exercise.

I won’t spend much time on this because it feels like it comes up every week. But, as we help our clients form healthy routines and habits, exercise should probably be a consideration—especially if you are working with a patient with a chronic condition.

A little strengths-based language goes a long way.

This article was very detailed about the common impairments caused by A-T. The technical information about the disease far outweighed the amount of information about the strengths of individuals with A-T. But, just a few sentences about these folks’ strengths made a huge difference in how I received the information from this article.

This was a great reminder that we should be including information on our patients’ strengths. This is not just so we can paint a more holistic picture for the readers of our documentation (which is important!), but also to help shape our own mindsets to not be so impairment-focused.

Listen to my takeaways in podcast form:

Find other platforms for listening to the OT Potential Podcast here.

## (Possibly) Earn CEUs/PDUs for reading this article

Many of you can receive continuing education credits for reading this article. Here’s a form to help you do it, along with information to help you understand who qualifies.

And, here’s the full APA citation you many need:

Rothblum-Oviatt, C., Wright, J., Lefton-Greif, M.A. et al. Ataxia telangiectasia: a review. Orphanet J Rare Dis 11, 159 (2016). Ataxia telangiectasia: a review | Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases | Full Text

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

Thanks so much for sharing! I agree that more research should have a strength-based focus. Not only for the more optimistic vantage point and shift in our therapeutic outlook, but on a functional level it naturally lends itself to positive and meaningful goal areas for intervention. Win, win!

3 Likes

Great article! Thank you so much for sharing!

I love your thoughts about providing info about strengths in the treatment plan. We as therapist are trained problem-solvers. It is so easy to get focused on what’s not instead of adding in what is too. As I was reading and listening to this, I was thinking about how I would feel if I got a yearly summary back with all the things I wasn’t meeting the mark in with no positive feedback on my strengths. That would be tough to have motivation to keep doing what I was doing fully motivated, joyful, and my fullest potential.

A little bit of praise and encouragement can go so far to empower and build confidence in not only the child but also in the parents who are working so hard to try to do all the right things for their kids. To hear they are doing well and be able to see their strengths pointed out. Wow! What a game changer! As we therapists point out strengths, we can enable the kids as well as the parents to shift their perspectives, encourage, empower, and bring joy. Instead of always seeing the problems, the kids and the parents can see strengths in themselves as well. Just thinking of the domino effect to other family, teachers, etc. brings me so much joy! What better way to empower people to live lives to their fullest.

I also love that his article gives ways to help patients thrive. This is such useful information to empower families, parents, and teachers. Rest time, goals, expressive language, audio books, progressive feedback, peer relationships…these are all very practical things that can make a HUGE difference in quality of life.

What a great article to remind us to have eyes to see progress and potential that can bring empowerment, confidence, joy, and full life!! I’m encouraged this morning. Thank you!

7 Likes

Thanks for posting!
Strength based discussions / reports not only help us, as OTs, see how the child can work successfully, it is also often life changing For families & parents, bc many parents (& the Kids) hear sooooo much about all the deficits & difficulties they are experiencing. They are living with these difficulties day in and day out!!
So when we begin to help focus the family (or begin to change our language) on the parts of the task the child CAN do (as we break down a task- which we, OTs do nicely!) , then it affects everybody’s interactions & perspectives and therefore often improving their own personal self confidence & self-advocacy!!

(Ie) I can brush my teeth when I use a device to hold the brush steady while I put the paste on… my child can play with legos & hold the book when I help them in in a position in this manner… my family gets to eat together without frustration when I offer my child “this” to eat that doesn’t require utensils or when we use this type of device that makes it easier…

As long as we can help show families what they CAN do, it can dynamically change life’s!
:wink:
Ashley Harrell, OTR/L

6 Likes

Wow! This article reminds me of how resilient people are (Especially children). Occupation based interventions focusing on what they are good at and what they find meaningful… can’t get any more OT than that. I am so lucky and grateful I became an OT. Thank you for sharing :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I loved how you pointed out that we need not be so impaired-focused, which is a great point to bring up. As healthcare providers, both in OT and outside of OT, seek to try to fix people. We look at the problem and only see that, rather than thinking, “okay, what are my client’s strengths,” and making that your starting point.
Focusing on the negative, makes our outlook negative, but when we look at what the client can do, and then they too acknowledge their strengths, you will get much better results. Mindset is everything. Just like the article stated, there is no “cure” for this disease that has been found yet, only therapies to minimize discomfort.
This was a great article to come by, because it not only educates us on these rare diseases, but helps prepare us to find new and inventive ways to create treatment plans for individuals, and it all starts with their strengths.

3 Likes

I love the focus on strengths and immediately think about the school-based practitioner role. By using the child’s strength of expressive communication and understanding these children may shine when stories are read aloud. They can participate in the discussions which take place regarding the who, what, where and when. Their problem solving abilities may also allow them to answer why questions. Since many children struggle with the ‘why’ question this may be an excellent peer to peer tutoring or paring opportunity.
Strengthening is another important concept from the article and I agree as OT practitioners we need to include this within the realm of helping individuals establish healthy routines in activity and diet. It does appear that ‘sub-maximal’ exercise is recommended. This same recommendation is given for conditions like Guillain-Barre syndrome, Becker and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophies, and other myopathic conditions
(Mahle and Ward, 2019)
Mahle, A., & Ward, A. (2019). Adult physical conditions: Intervention Strategies for occupational therapy assistants* (Vol. 1). F.A. Davis.

1 Like

Good thoughts on problem solving! I hadn’t made the connection yet, but I could see the CO-OP approach being a good approach with these kids!

I did a little more reading about about sub-maximal exercise and put together that the ATM gene typically helps manage oxidative stress, which can happen at cellular level during strenuous exercise. So, that makes sense why the article is saying to avoid strenuous exercise and recommends activities like horseback therapy and exercises in a swimming pool.

Hey all! I just looked up some of the resources recommended in the article and wanted to pass them along!

Treatment guidelines from the A-T Society in the UK:

Global A-T Family Data Platform
https://www.atcp.org/about-ataxia-telangiectasia/get-connected/global-a-t-family-data-platform/

A-T Clinical Center at John Hopkins
https://www.atcp.org/about-ataxia-telangiectasia/caregiver-resources/a-t-clinical-centers/

1 Like

I love how you focus on the positives as an OT. It is so important for families and patients to hear good news. Thank you so much for the examples, because as an OTA student, it is sometimes hard to vision what/where positives can come from! All the little successes lead to a big success!!

Thanks for finding and sharing this great article. I like the focus on positives instead of the impairments, especially in such chronic conditions. Great examples for families and caretakers to focus on. Rest time/reduced school work, goals, expressive language, audiobooks, progressive feedback, exercises, peer relationships, problem solvers-so many positives highlighted and very practical things suggested that can make a difference in the quality of life for the person and hope for the caregivers.

2 Likes

I especially enjoy the immense amount of helpful information on this condition, since it is one that is difficult to understand in it’s nature. I thoroughly enjoy your continued emphasis on exercise because of it’s incredible importance and benefit to the clients which are being treated. Lastly, I enjoyed how you mentioned the importance of a holistic or client-centered approach to treatment because this is one of the most important aspects of the OT profession.

Thank you Sarah for sharing valuable information on Ataxia telengectasia.
I completely agree to your opinion on strengths based Occupational Therapy program in progressive degenerative neurological conditions.

I have been treating a child (who is now 12 years old) with diagnosis of AT for past 2 years and have experienced a huge contribution of function based Occupational Therapy Intervention in enhancing his activity participation.
The child was completely home bound prior to Therapy.
However, with 2 years of therapy he has reached a level of assisted community mobility and has resumed his academic activities.
Your posts truly add to the value of profession. Looking forward for many more.
P.S. I have conducted a similar study on Spinocerebellar ataxia.
https://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:ijpot&volume=9&issue=4&article=042

2 Likes

Welcome, @preeti! It is so great to have someone share who as worked with a child with this condition, thank you for taking the time to share. And, it especially an honor to have an OT researcher from India in here!

Your story is such a good reminder that just because a disease is progressive and degenerative that doesn’t mean that we can’t make progress on the child’s quality of life.

Finally, I am doing some reading on the relation of spinocerebellar ataxia and A-T. Wikipedia actually had an helpful article on this, and I’m pasting the relevant passage below, for anyone who is curious:

There are five typical autosomal-recessive disorders in which ataxia is a prominent feature: Friedreich ataxia, ataxia-telangiectasia, ataxia with vitamin E deficiency, ataxia with oculomotor apraxia (AOA), spastic ataxia. Disorder subdivisions: Friedreich’s ataxia, Spinocerebellar ataxia, Ataxia telangiectasia, Vasomotor ataxia, Vestibulocerebellar, Ataxiadynamia, Ataxiophemia, Olivopontocerebellar atrophy, and Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.

1 Like

After reading this article and learning more about the complexity of A-T I think it is fascinating how you are able to have hands-on experience with it. It is inspiring how over the course of two years you saw improvements that for this child was life changing and resulted in more independence. It shows just how important occupational therapy is in better managing this disease.

I haven’t heard of this condition before!

However, it reminds me a bit of the conglomeration of tx approaches I used when working as a home care therapist for adult and geriatric patients… I had a patient with undiagnosed COPD who ended up wearing the vest and a patient with a chronic degenerative disease. I remember trying every single thing I could do to modify the environment, encourage lifestyle changes, encourage use of adaptive equipment, generalization of skills using the adaptive equipment and vest, care coordination and education for all medical and non-medical caregivers and friends/family… it was tough. It was SO difficult to get so many of my patients even to move an end table or to stick to a routine that they helped me make… and modify… many times! Ultimately, I ended up providing close physical care for many patients. Turned out - physical touch, understanding, and engagement with all persons proved the most important.