Psychological and psychosocial interventions for negative symptoms in psychosis: Systematic review and meta-analysis

Read Full Text: Psychological and psychosocial interventions for negative symptoms in psychosis: Systematic review and meta-analysis (Free to Access)
Journal: British Journal of Psychiatry
Year Published: 2017
Ranked 24th on our 2016-2021 list of the 100 Most Influential OT Research Articles

Wow! I wish I had this week’s article when I worked in inpatient psych.

The article does an excellent job of discussing the symptoms of psychosis. Even with my background in mental health, I still learned some new language for familiar symptoms that I’d never had the words to describe.

You’ll also find that OT presents an evidence-based way to address the symptoms of psychosis. The authors give a very helpful rundown of what seems to work (and what doesn’t) when addressing these symptoms.

I believe that OTs’ understanding of mental health is something that truly sets us apart on our teams—and this is the case regardless of setting. So, even if you don’t think of your primary focus as mental health, I hope you take the time to engage with this important information!

Let’s dive in.

Quick refresher on psychosis

Ok, the article does not start with a refresher on psychosis—but I’m going to. I’m doing so because, unless you’re actively working in mental health (or even if you are), the lines between different diagnoses and symptoms can get blurry!

In the simplest sense, psychosis occurs when a person experiences some loss of connection with external reality. This can present as hallucinations and delusions.

Psychosis, itself, is not a disease; rather, it is a symptom of a broader disease, such as:

• Schizophrenia
  • Schizoaffective disorder
  • Brief psychotic disorder
  • Delusional disorder
  • Bipolar psychosis
  • Psychotic depression
  • Postpartum (also called postnatal) psychosis
  • Substance-induced psychosis

(For more information on how OT can play a role in identifying those at high risk of psychosis, I highly recommend our previous article: Sensory characteristics of youth at clinical high risk for psychosis)

What are the “negative symptoms” of psychosis?

The most well-known symptoms of psychosis are “positive symptoms,” which means additional traits expressed by those affected. Such symptoms include hallucinations and delusions.

On the other hand, “negative symptoms” can be thought as “taking away” from normal self-expression. Such symptoms are categorized by the absence or reduction of:

• Affect
  • Social expression
  • Behavioral expression

These negative symptoms are extremely important to recognize in psychosis patients. That’s because the degree to which they present is one of the most important predictors of both quality of life and functional outcomes.

Negative symptoms can be transitory. They can also present secondary to co-occurring depression and/or as a side effect of antipsychotic medication.

Persistent negative symptoms are present in around 25% of patients with first-episode psychosis, and in an even greater percentage of those with chronic schizophrenia.

What about medication?

New medications have revolutionized the treatment of psychosis. Antipsychotic medication can be highly effective for the treatment of positive symptoms.

However, these medications have, at best, a “modest” impact on negative symptoms. Therefore, best practice suggests the use of psychological and psychosocial interventions for negative symptoms.

Why was this paper written?

Even though psychological and psychosocial interventions are considered best practice, their effectiveness has not really been explored in much depth. Hence, the authors found and analyzed randomized control trials related to their efficacy.

What interventions did they find?

The authors found 72 studies that met their inclusion criteria.

Below are the interventions they found. I’m putting the number of studies they found next to the type; this gives a sense of how well studied each intervention is.

In terms of effectiveness, I’m also putting a rudimentary :white_check_mark: for those that overall had a positive effect, compared to treatment as usual. I’ll use a​:question:by those with mixed results or insufficient data, and an 🅇 by those that did not perform as well as treatment as usual.

:white_check_mark: Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) (26 studies)

:white_check_mark: Skills training (11)

:white_check_mark: Occupational therapy (3)

🅇 Cognitive adaptation training (2)

:question:Neurocognitive therapies (16):

• Cognitive remediation (11)
  • Cognitive training (2)
  • Neurocognitive therapy (1)
  • Cognitive enhancement (1)

:question: Exercise (10):

• Yoga
  • Aerobic
  • Resistance training
  • Structured walking
  • Tai chi
  • Traditional dance

:question: Art and music therapy

🅇 Family-based interventions

Miscellaneous

• Humor therapy (2) 🅇
  • Specialized early intervention for first-episode psychosis (2) :white_check_mark:
  • Body psychotherapy :white_check_mark:
  • Acceptance and commitment therapy 🅇
  • Adherence therapy 🅇
  • Token therapy 🅇

Assessments

For the occupational therapy trials, one assessment was used across all trials it was:

Discussion

The authors concluded that negative symptoms can be improved, at least modestly, with psychosocial and psychological interventions. The interventions with the most efficacy are indicated above.

Historically, best-practice guidelines have favored CBT. But, this updated review suggests that skills-based interventions may be just as effective, if not more so. (By “skills-based”, the authors mean a broad category that involves OT and/or skills-training.)

They note that improved skills—particularly social skills—are likely to be associated with prosocial behaviors, which are key indicators of negative symptom improvement.

Across all interventions, treatment intensity of 45 minutes (or more) per week was associated with better outcomes. The authors also found that group format was as effective as individual treatment.

3 Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are my own takeaways, and were not mentioned directly in the article.)

1.) All OTs should be following mental health developments like this one.

Part of what makes OTs unique is our ability to not only explicitly treat mental conditions, but also take mental health into account for all patients.

While you may not have a patient with psychosis on your caseload, I think it is important to remember that engagement in activity can boost mental well-being—which, of course, goes hand-in-hand with physical health.

2.) Why do skills-based interventions work?

Ok. I don’t actually have the answer to this question, but I have recently learned of a framework called “self-determination theory,” which has given me new language to describe why I think OT works.

The theory asserts that the human psyche needs three things to flourish: autonomy, competence, and relatedness. Both occupational therapy and skills training groups provide a safe way to grow in all 3 of these areas.

This is true not only in mental health work, but in occupational therapy on the whole. After all, what greater gifts could we give our patients than autonomy, competence, and relatedness?

3.) We, of course, need to take a trauma-informed approach with these patients.

I cannot talk about extreme cases of mental health struggles, like psychosis, without bringing up trauma-informed care. (Even though it was not mentioned in the article.)

I cannot think of a single patient I worked with in inpatient rehab who did not have a history of some form of trauma. And, I cannot help but think that negative symptoms are, in some ways, protective measures in a circumstance (psychosis) that simply does not feel safe. I hope to review new research on OT and trauma-based care sometime this year. (Suggestions welcome!!)

But, in the meantime, I just listened to Brene Brown with Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Bruce Perry on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing, and I highly recommend it!

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
Lutgens D, Gariepy G, Malla A. Psychological and psychosocial interventions for negative symptoms in psychosis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry. 2017 May;210(5):324-332. doi: 10.1192/bjp.bp.116.197103. Epub 2017 Mar 16. PMID: 28302699.

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

Thank you for another thought-provoking article on Mental Health (MH). No matter, which setting you work in, knowledge about MH and how it affects every walk of life goes a long way in treating a patient holistically. I am so thankful for our OT curriculum that puts such an emphasis on MH.
I had to read your comments again and the article to know the importance of “negative symptoms” as the authors have mentioned. It was a little confusing at first but makes sense that the absence of affect, social and behavioral expression are categorized as “negative symptoms”. The conclusion that high-quality interventions delivered early on in the course of illness and combined treatments such as CBT, OT, skills training are more beneficial than individual treatments makes sense. Some form of exercise added to this would surely help.
An article I found on Social Skills Training (SST) found that it is very beneficial for the negative symptoms just as CBT is for positive symptoms. While CBT is routinely recommended in treatment guidelines, SST is not. In practice, SST may have a wider implication.

David T Turner, Edel McGlanaghy, Pim Cuijpers, Mark van der Gaag, Eirini Karyotaki, Angus MacBeth, A Meta-Analysis of Social Skills Training and Related Interventions for Psychosis, Schizophrenia Bulletin , Volume 44, Issue 3, May 2018, Pages 475–491, https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx146

5 Likes

Regarding trauma-informed care, I think it’s really exciting - and about time - to see the new literature being presented on both trauma-based and trauma-informed care. The TIC-OT model (trauma-informed care) was developed and presented by one of my late classmates, Diana Derigo, in a continuing education course for AOTA.

A super quick literature search of trauma-informed care pulled articles about the importance of trauma-informed care in all different settings including the schools, inpatient mental health, public health, etc. I found the article about role of OT with the school-based OT especially interesting. I think as our students head back to school full-time after what was likely extremely traumatic for a lot of students, families and societies, it is especially important for us as OTs to be aware of trauma and its manifestation in the schools. I digress from your original article, Sarah, but really found your comment about taking trauma-informed approaches especially intriguing and relevant for all settings in which we treat clients.

Link to TIC-OT Model CEU: A Trauma-Informed Approach Distinct to Occupational Therapy: The TIC-OT Model

Trauma-informed article citation: Colleen Cameron Whiting (2018) Trauma and the role of the school-based occupational therapist, Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention, 11:3, 291-301, DOI: 10.1080/19411243.2018.1438327

4 Likes

Sanchala, thanks for your comment and the interesting article re: SST. I, too, had to reread and think deeper about “negative” vs. “positive” symptoms. I think that the designation for positive/negative is so difficult for me personally to understand because of the connotation we have with negative or positive behaviors in our world. I think as we continue to trend towards behaviors as being on a spectrum and less “good” vs. “bad”, this may be easier to understand? And now I’m rambling… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sanchala and @allison5! Yes, I had a learning curve here about positive and negative symptoms-- and I worked with these patients! They do seem poorly named…

@sanchala, I’m really glad you dug a little deeper into social skills training! The article was also confusion because it lumped occupational therapy and skills training together as “skills-based training.” If I was still working in inpatient psych I would definitely need to dig deeper into the particular protocols each study was using!

1 Like

Ha! In some ways I digressed too, looping it back to trauma informed care since it was not mentioned in the article. But, in working with patients with psychosis understanding their trauma history helped me so tremendously as a therapist. Even though I didn’t address it directly in my groups, it just gave me context for understanding my patients better.

I’m really curious about the trauma and school based OT article. Do you think we should review it in the Club?

Sarah and Allison,
Your discussion on trauma-informed care got me thinking about the research my colleague is doing in MH. She is doing a photovoice project to enable clients at an MH center to express their feelings of loss, trauma, isolation due to COVID-19. It was amazing to see the photos taken by the patients and the accompanying feelings/explanations given by them. One photo was of a pair of worn-out shoes sitting at his front door expressing his yearning/need to go outside to meet his friends and family. ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’ is so true.
I found this info on Photovoice.
“Photovoice is a participatory, empowering approach that is grounded in Freirean and feminist principles (rooted in empowerment, voice, and choice). Participants themselves take photographs to tell the stories of their experiences. Though not explicitly designed to do so, Photovoice embeds trauma-informed principles that can create a more positive evaluation experience for participants who have experienced trauma”
(Gowensmith, 2021)

2 Likes

We use Photovoice all the time in my lab for my PhD program. Also a group of students in my OTD project used Photovoice to help establish a new diverse set of images for the Activity Card Sort. It’s a great client-based participatory action research approach.

1 Like

Yet again another article with flawless timing. While I am a proud advocate for mental health (MH) and actively try to remain engaged in the world of MH, I know there is always more to learn. I have just been referred to a community aged care client with Lewy Body Dementia who is often experiencing Psychotic events. While her carers are being brought up to speed with some MH first aid skills to calmly assess the situation each time to address her hallucinations/delusions, it is very interesting to see the other side of the coin with negative symptoms.

I have had a quick skim over the article provided by Sanchala and look forward to reading the others in more detail.

1 Like

Hi @Geordie! I’m so glad the timing of this article was helpful! I agree that just the concept of negative symptoms was a helpful framework, for helping me reflect on my past mental health work.

We’ll be reviewing this article on Lewy Body dementias in mid-June, but I thought it might be helpful to you now!

1 Like