Preventing Falls in Hospitalized Patients

Read Full Text: Preventing Falls in Hospitalized Patients
Journal: Clinics in Geriatric Medicine
Year Published: 2019
CEU Podcast: #47: OT and Falls Prevention with Pooja Patel (CE Course)

Falls are complex.

That makes fall prevention a perfect goal for occupational therapy!

This week, we’re looking at an article that explores “the state of the science” on preventing falls in hospitalized patients. The authors walk us through:

• The scope of the problem
  • The science (or lack thereof) supporting various interventions

While many of the interventions sound simple (like “gripper socks” and alarms), the article reminds us that there’s no “silver bullet” to prevent falls.

That said, this paper will serve as an excellent overview of the latest research. Whether you’re looking to up your therapy game or improve the quality initiatives at your facility, you’ll learn what the evidence says—and why investing in patient and staff education is crucial to your efforts.

Introduction to falls in acute care

Patient falls are the MOST COMMON adverse event reported at hospitals.

The number of falls in hospitals each year is decreasing overall, but the statistics continue to be staggering.

Each year, roughly 700,000 to 1 million falls occur in United States hospitals. These falls result in about 250,000 injuries—and up 11,000 deaths.

An estimated 2% of patients fall during a hospital stay.

Who pays for these falls?

In addition to the significant physical (and emotional) burden of falls, they take an economic toll on both patients and facilities.

In 2008, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) stopped reimbursing for fall-related injuries, as they deemed them preventable. The annual cost of falls is estimated to be 30 BILLION dollars.

What is being done?

Given the massive cost, hospitals have been seeking a “silver bullet” to this problem.

This has resulted in the rollout of fall prevention programs that typically entail:

1. Identifying patients at a high risk of falling
  2. Using clinical judgment to decide which strategies should be used accordingly to prevent falls

Unfortunately, there is considerable variation to these programs, as clinical judgment is typically used in place of decisive research.

While there’s a growing body of research on fall prevention in the community-dwelling elderly, these findings do not necessarily translate to the unique circumstances of hospitals…which leads us to this paper.

What was the intent of this paper?

Given the above information, the authors say it is imperative to examine fall prevention strategies specific to the hospital setting. They break their exploration into three main categories:

1. Study designs being used
  2. Evidence behind individual fall prevention interventions
  3. Evidence behind multifactorial fall prevention interventions

Study designs in fall prevention

The authors give a brief overview of the types of research studying fall prevention. (I’m pretty sure this was done to illustrate why stronger evidence is needed.)

Quality improvement studies

Many studies on fall prevention take the form of quality improvement studies. They typically follow a “before and after” design, without using a control group—e.g., were there fewer falls on the unit after the fall prevention program was implemented?

The authors emphasize that studies like this should NOT be viewed as evidence, because one cannot determine if the cause of the improvement was the actual program or some outside factor.

Randomized studies

Randomized control trials (RCTs) provide a much stronger study design. Randomization can occur at the patient or unit level. The authors highlighted the benefit of a stepped wedge study design.

The evidence behind individual fall prevention strategies

Ok, now let’s look at specific fall prevention strategies, and where the evidence stands for each.

Fall risk identification

There is a lack of evidence supporting the use of fall prediction tools. This led The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence to recommend AGAINST the routine use of fall prediction tools. Instead, they advise that all inpatients older than 65 should be considered at high risk for falls.

The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality also asserts that it’s more important to identify and address patients’ specific risk factors for falls, rather than spending time calculating fall risk numbers.

To be clear, it is important to distinguish between:

• Fall risk assessments: checklists identifying risk factors
  • Fall prediction tools: calculations of fall risk scores based on known risk factors

Alarms

There is now strong evidence that alarms are ineffective in fall prevention.
Additionally, alarms cause a host of their own problems, including:

• Contributing to confusion and agitation for cognitively impaired patients
  • Restricting mobility and independence
  • Creating “alarm fatigue” for staff

The authors do note that just because alarms are ineffective in their current form (sounding loudly when people get up from bed or out of a chair), that does not mean we should discount future tech developments. For example, wearable alarm systems could prove more effective than the current models used on beds and chairs.

Sitters

Sitters provide 1:1 surveillance for patients, and they may also provide therapeutic care.

There are only small, non-randomized studies that support the use of sitters. And, they represent a considerable expense, often not reimbursable by third-party payers. Many hospitals discourage their use.

Intentional rounding

Intentional rounding is a proactive approach to meeting patient needs, involving regular bedside checks performed every 1-2 hours.

The quality of evidence for rounding is weak; of note, studies performed have been quality improvement studies.

Rounding also carries its own downsides, potentially including:

• Perception of a top-down approach, restricting staff autonomy
  • Increased workloads
  • Competing priorities
  • Poor documentation
  • Lack of staff buy-in

Patient education

There is some evidence that patient education is effective in reducing falls for cognitively intact patients. But it is not suitable for patients with cognitive impairment, which is a common risk factor for inpatient falls.

Environmental modifications

The physical environment can be an important contributor to falls. One study specifically looked at falls that resulted in death or permanent loss of function. 39% of such falls identified the physical environment as part of the root cause.

One RCT found that fewer falls occur on vinyl floors as opposed to carpet.

Another study found NO evidence that “low-low” beds reduced the risk of falls.

Physical restraints

Unfortunately, there remains a perception (both on the part of health professionals and patients) that restraints reduce the risk of falls. In many facilities, they are still considered a viable last resort for preventing falls.

Data from this and this and this study suggest that restraints may not prevent, but instead increase, the risk of falling.

Restraints can also cause:

• Agitation and delirium
  • Pressure ulcers
  • Deconditioning
  • Strangulation
  • Death

Non-slip “gripper” socks

The small body of research on non-slip socks has not provided evidence of their efficacy as a fall prevention strategy.

Given the lack of evidence, a patient’s own footwear remains the safest option for fall prevention.

Multifactorial interventions

Given the many factors contributing to falls, it makes sense that multicomponent approaches would be most effective.

There are a few important readings if you are exploring this option.

The 6-PACK program has been the largest researched fall prevention program to date. But despite a successful rollout, there was not a reduction in falls.

That said, a recent cochrane review concluded: “Multifactorial interventions may reduce rate of falls, although subgroup analysis suggests this may apply mostly to a subacute setting.” So, there’s still plenty of time to research whether this finding holds true in acute settings.

Author summary

Although fewer falls have been reported over time, hospital falls remain a significant safety problem. There’s an urgent and ongoing need for well-designed research studies of hospital fall prevention.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(Please note: These are my personal takeaways. They are not mentioned specifically in the article.)

1. This was surprising on one hand, but not the other.

Anyone who has worked in acute care is probably familiar with all of the interventions mentioned. They are so commonplace that it was surprising to read the lack of evidence supporting their use.

On the other hand, we OTs also recognize that there is not one simple answer to such a complex problem.

2. There is still a lot of concrete advice out there to follow.

While there’s no “silver bullet,” when it comes to fall prevention, we’re not starting from scratch. We now know that many of the commonplace interventions simply do not have strong evidence behind them. And many carry significant costs and downsides.

These seem to be the most important resources out there for learning about falls prevention and multifactorial interventions:

3. Patient and staff education are the best use of resources at this time.

New research continues to clarify that patient and staff education are the most compelling options for fall prevention.

When possible, our patients and their families should understand the increased fall risks associated with being in the hospital.

Likewise, staff members need to take the time to understand what is safest for their individual clients. There truly is no one-size-fits-all “gripper sock” solution!

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
LeLaurin, J. H., &; Shorr, R. I. (2019). Preventing falls in hospitalized patients. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, 35(2), 273–283.

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with OT (and Club member!), Pooja Patel. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

2 Likes

It is definitely a complex issue; addressed “easily” by a lot of the common ineffective methods mentioned above (such as bed/chair alarms and limiting mobility, asks now for us, ran facing greater demand for rounding).

I’d be curious if evidence based effective methods applied in community settings (Bingocize and Matter of Balance methods) were considered in some format in hospital setting. While the peer aspect and multimodal components would be new in concept for hospital setting, wouldn’t it be worth turning the practice methods, that have been tried and ineffective many times over, upside down on its head?

Wouldn’t hurt to try…

5 Likes

First I will say that I am glad that this study has taken place as it is very important to address falls in all settings. My frustration however with this type of research is it feels like it misses the point. In my graduate research, I did a mini-systematic review related to falls but instead of focusing on reducing falls (Wich is important) I focused on reducing the negative impacts of falls. People fall all the time and often this is not an issue. I wanted to look at whether people could be trained to fall more safely. Without getting too much into the details of my in the conclusive study I will say that there is very little research into fall impact mitigation. Also, when we focus on falls as the enemy instead of falls resulting in injury we increase people’s fear of falling, and if you are extra afraid of falling you may tense up more when you start to fall and have more muscular tension during a fall does seem to increase impact to individual joints instead of spreading the impact out and is more likely to result in hip fx.

This is all to say that while I am glad fall studies like this are happening I wish people would focus on other interventions (especially in light of how poor the common interventions seem to be). The types of interventions I am interested in are fall training (actually teaching people to fall safer) hip protectors, and fall mats. I feel that if we change our view of what the problem from falls to injury from falls we may have a host of different interventions to work with.

4 Likes

Hey @ajoelle! I hope you are well!

This is such a good call out about the effectiveness of community based methods! I didn’t get to dig into community-based fall prevention as much as I would have liked, but from what I did read, I agree with you: there do seem to be effective fall prevention strategies, but they all take TIME.

My guess is this is why fall prevention strategies were most effective in post-acute settings, per the Cochrane review—because things like balance training and strengthening have time to take effect.

This is what makes acute care fall preventions so hard. I didn’t see any data on this, but I would bet a lot of falls happen soon after people are admitted, when they don’t yet realize their change in functional status. And/or meds are still being adjusted.

@ajoelle are you still working in acute care??

1 Like

YES!!!

I think you are spot on @irvin!

I already recorded my podcast with @pooja1 on fall prevention and it will come out early next year. But, we also touched on this. If you listen you’ll hear me feeling guilty about admitting: some falls simply aren’t preventable. And, so that leaves us with mitigation.

Pooja brought up companies like SafelyYou that monitor for falls then create a plan for moving forward. I think this is definitely the way fall prevention will go. Actively monitoring people when they are up, and then getting to them as quickly as possible.

But, I hadn’t thought about how part of every mobility training should include how to safely lower yourself to the floor. Did you teach your clients that? I’m so curious about that approach!

(I also just looked at the career page for SafelyYou! I was thinking you should work for them :slight_smile: But, no job openings right now…)

1 Like

This is spot on! We have definitely been shifting more towards mitigating risk of injury with falls vs solely falls, as well as attempting to identifying those most at risk of injury with falling vs solely falling. We’ve additionally rolled out new fall mats and completed plenty of education around their use too. Some of our PTs also teach to how to get up safely from the ground if they do fall. I do wonder how we could incorporate teaching fall-safe strategies if they know they’re going down, but I find that often times they don’t have enough of a reaction time to change how they’re going down.

2 Likes

Hello- Very interesting and timely article! I’m in academia full-time now, but as part of grants see clients at a clinic run by PT/OT Faculty and students (many whom have fallen or or at risk for falling), as well as provide Fall Risk Screenings and Evidence-Based Fall Prevention Programs. I think OT practitioners are in a prime position to assist with fall prevention. As has been mentioned, many many factors can increase a person’s fall risk/contribute to a fall, and OT’s holistic view of individuals can help identify some of those factors. OT practitioners are also uniquely skilled in being client-centered when addressing challenges such as fall risk. This could include looking at ways to address falls in acute care/inpatient rehab settings that take a broader view than those techniques mentioned in the article.

3 Likes

I enjoyed reading this article. I find that it is an important issue currently in hospitals. The items they suggested that worked the best are things that we are currently in hospital having a hard time with because of lack of staff. Hopefully this could be use to support the fact that the staff is need with these vulnerable client’s with dementia and acute Deliriums.

3 Likes

Wow, @elizabeth1 I can’t believe we haven’t talked about staffing related to this issue. I agree this is probably the biggest challenge right now. It doesn’t matter if you have the perfect plan if you don’t have the staff to carry it out.

Honestly, this paper just made me ask the big overall question: ARE HOSPITALS A FAILED MODEL OF CARE?? Should acute care services be shifting to the home for most patients, where they are safer? We talked about promising research behind the hospital at home model on the podcast previously, and I know we have at least one club member that works in this model. This is certainly a shift I want to keep exploring.

1 Like

Omg how did we miss this?! Staffing is definitely a huge variable in fall prevention efforts! Often times the verbalized reasons/explanations of failures related to fall prevention systems is linked to: “We don’t have the staff for it.” Definitely goes back to our discussion about the hospital-at-home model!

1 Like

Agree! And, both hospital at home and the staffing shortage point to a future where remote patient monitoring is used more. I bet this includes both some kind of video monitoring, plus a wearable that monitors both activity and vitals.

I am working on our top article to cover next year, and I’m excited to explore this one:

1 Like

I will be respectful of time and space to comment. I have spent the better part of two years reading over 100 research articles on falls that brought people to the hospital and falls inside the hospital.

My sentiment is unchanged and is not biased because I am a very proud and passionate OT with a mobile outpatient private practice focused on fall prevention. It is rooted in the missing research on the value of OT in fall prevention. It is also rooted in the research that sings the praises of the value of OT in fall prevention.

If we were a consistent triage team member in the ER and/or a regular consult for the fall risk indicators that were flagged upon a visit to the ED, or hospital admit assessment I am confident the numbers would be reduced, money would be saved, and lives would be saved.

Our inherent ability to look past the obvious injury or diagnosis related to a fall, to take a deep dive with the occupational profile and a comprehensive assessment IS the answer- OT is the answer. We are the natural choice for teaching-educating all patients involved, the medical treatment team, and the caregivers.

Stepping off the soapbox and I thank you for reading.

Michelle

5 Likes

Wow! @michelle I’m so glad you are here on this thread!! I LOVED this and so agree with it!

I’m curious if your experience aligned with the research and what’s been said in these comments?

I also hope you get to listen to our podcast that will come out on Jan 2nd- and give any feedback/critique!

Love this comment, and it rings true with something on my mind last week while working in acute care with a woman who had repeated falls over the course of a week, and no falls prior. The focus of her hospitalization was on determining if there was a medical cause to her falls, and rightly so…and so far they could find nothing medical. When I came to eval, PT had already done their balance assessments which showed minimal deficit. So I ended up spending most of my OT eval time with the woman asking her more details about the pattern of falls, her daily routines, and more detailed “investigation” of her home setup. After about 20 minutes talking, she mentioned it was a “funny coincidence” that all of her falls had occurred as she was getting into or out of bed. She then casually mentioned, as we were getting up to edge of bed, that she had recently noted some brief bouts of dizziness, but only when she was looking down. Through our discussion, it became clear to me that the setup around the patient’s bed could be a big culprit, as it caused her to look down (in order to see the step/platform she used to get onto her high mattress). I was able to raise concerns to one of our PTs who is a BPPV pro, asking them to screen her the next day, and communicated these possible contributors to the doctor.

I realize I sound like I’m tooting my own horn. And I don’t actually know yet what came of the BPPV screening. But it was a really reaffirming, “ah ha” moment for me, realizing that home setup and BPPV could be the only reason she had been falling, and that it took the PEO approach of OT to raise that point to the medical team. It helped reaffirm to me the value and unique, holistic role in the hospital rehab setting whose culture too often feels very “PT-centric.”

2 Likes

This was also the first thought to cross my mind. Staffing feels like THE biggest limitation right now in acute, when it comes to preventing falls. No amount of staff education on falls will help if there’s not someone to be there “in time” when the patient has a need causing them to get up on their own.

2 Likes

With that, my concern has to do with assisting clients during a fall when we know they are going down, but they are simply too heavy to control. We work with many clients who are morbidly obese and are able to ambulate. However, the topic of use of gait belts arose when the client declined to put one on. An assisted fall occurred, and the focus is now on the lack of a gait belt. In my mind, gait belts do not always help prevent a fall, especially when they weigh more than what the therapists can handle should they go down. What are your thoughts on this?

1 Like

Gait belts have been a HUGE topic of conversation in our hospital. Linda, I agree with you that gait belts should not be the golden standard for fall prevention. In our hospital, nursing is not allowed to / trained on using gait belts, but the therapy team is “expected” to be using them during mobility. This frequently leads to nursing partners using the lack of gait belt use and training as a reason for not mobilizing their mod-high fall risk patients. Many of us therapists (OTs and PTs) did not train with gait belt use depending on where fieldwork was completed, thus many of us have over time showed that gait belts are not a must-have for mobilizing patients. We also train on how to safely lower patients to the ground because if they’re going down, we want to prevent injuries. A key point to highlight there was that gait belts are not meant to prevent a fall or lift a patient back up if they start going down - that would in fact likely injure both the patient and the staff member. This has helped with changing the mindset and culture around mobility and fall prevention with nursing staff. Of course when there are falls with therapy staff, the first question is, “Did you have a gait belt on?”…which creates a very hard balance between therapy practice and changing mobility culture with nursing partners who can’t use them.

1 Like

LOVE this!! Yes!! We are grateful that OT gets a consult on every patient coming in with a fall, and after there is an in-house fall with a patient not already receiving OT. It required a lot of attendance at interdisciplinary rounds and assistance from our PT partners who would request an OT consult with every fall to get to where we are today. The OT approach is absolutely key in often identifying true source.

1 Like