Multidisciplinary biopsychosocial rehabilitation for chronic low back pain

Read Full Text: Multidisciplinary biopsychosocial rehabilitation for chronic low back pain: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis (Free to access)
Journal: BMJ Open
Year Published: 2015
Ranked 2nd on our 2015-2020 list of the 100 most influential OT-related articles

Low back pain is a leading cause of disability around the globe. Here in the US low back pain is the #1 cause of lost work days.

And, this week’s article really illuminates that OTs should not automatically punt these patients to be treated by our PT colleagues alone.

Back pain, like any type of pain, has biological, psychological, and social/environmental components. Due to such complexity, patients with LBP are likely best served by a team with diverse skill sets, which may include your occupational therapy expertise.

This systematic review examines multidisciplinary rehabilitation versus single-discipline interventions. The article found that multidisciplinary biopsychosocial rehabilitation interventions were more effective than usual care and physical treatments alone in decreasing pain and disability for patients with chronic low back pain.

Refresher on the biopsychosocial model

As the name implies, The biopsychosocial model is an interdisciplinary model that looks at the interconnection between the following factors:

• Biological
  • Psychological
  • Socio-environmental

This approach should sound extremely familiar to OT professionals, as we are accustomed to looking at patients from a holistic lens. At the same time, we have to remember that this can seem like a departure from the traditional medical model.

Two Club members, @mandy and @rafi, recently recorded a great podcast on the biopsychosocial approach: The Seniors Flourish Podcast: The Biopsychosocial Model and Occupational Therapy.

There is much to read about this model, as it has heavily influenced modern healthcare—but there are also critiques of the approach.

What was included in this systematic review?

The researchers sought out studies that met the following criteria:

1.) More than 75% of patients in the study reported LBP. Specific diagnoses included:

• Disc degeneration
  • Bulging discs
  • Facet joint dysfunction
  • Sacroiliac joint pain

2.) The back pain was chronic, meaning that it had lasted longer than 3 months

3.) For the study, multidisciplinary rehabilitation was defined as being in alignment with the biopsychosocial model. Thus, a study was included if treatments included:

1. A physical component
  2. A psychological component and/or a social/work-targeted component.

The components needed to be delivered by clinicians with different clinical backgrounds to be included in the study.

In reviewing studies that had been published prior to 2014, 41 trials were identified that met the inclusion criteria.

How was OT involved?

Occupational therapy was not mentioned explicitly in this article.

But, neither was PT.

In fact, I thought the article went out of its way not to mention specific professions. Instead, it emphasized the different training backgrounds and perspectives that are needed to address LBP. This aligns with a concept we explored last week, where the researchers seemed more concerned with WHAT was being done versus WHO was doing it.

What were the results?

Overall, the results of the systematic review were favorable for multidisciplinary care, but there was definitely nuance.

16 randomized controlled trials (RCTs) compared multidisciplinary rehab to usual care. Moderate evidence indicated that multidisciplinary care was more effective in reducing long-term pain and disability.

19 RCTs compared multidisciplinary care to physical treatments alone. Together, these showed low-quality evidence that multidisciplinary was more effective at reducing pain and disability.

Finally, my favorite was that 2 trials compared multidisciplinary care and surgery and found comparable outcomes—which is notable because surgery has more inherent risks.

These results (along with more that is spelled out in the article) were enough for the researchers to conclude that:

This systematic review provides evidence that multidisciplinary rehabilitation programmes are more effective than usual care (moderate-quality evidence) and physical treatments (low-quality evidence) in decreasing pain and disability in people with chronic low back pain.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

It makes sense that a more multifaceted approach to pain may be more effective…because pain itself is so multifaceted.

Pain management is a topic we’ve covered in the Club on multiple occasions already, and you’ll see that it appears several times on this year’s list of influential articles.

Pain science has been exploding over the past decade, and we are learning more and more about how complicated the experience of pain is. Throughout all of the research, the advice has been this: take an interdisciplinary approach.

I found this 2019 TED video to be really helpful in explaining how we currently understand pain, and you will see some familiar suggestions at the end:

If your facility is not taking a holistic approach to pain, it may be time for some changes.

There are fabulous functional restoration programs scattered across the nation, and they take a very systematic interdisciplinary approach to pain treatment. If you are like me and live in a rural area or small town, your facility might want to look into cost-effective options that can be provided locally. It seems to me that coupling OT and PT for pain management may be one of the most achievable and cost-effective ways to deliver interdisciplinary pain care.

If you are looking for more guidance on using the biopsychosocial approach for pain management, I highly recommend this 2018 continuing education article from the AOTA:
A Biopsychosocial Approach for Addressing Chronic Pain in Everyday Occupational Therapy Practice.

I will be curious to hear what kinds of pain management programs/systems you have in your area!

Listen to my takeaways in podcast form:

Find other platforms for listening to the OT Potential Podcast here.

(Possibly) Earn CEUs/PDUs for reading this article

Many of you can receive continuing education credits for reading this article. Here’s a form to help you do it, along with information to help you understand who qualifies.

And, here’s the full APA citation you many need:

Kamper, S. J., Apeldoorn, A. T., Chiarotto, A., Smeets, R. J. E. M., Ostelo, R. W. J. G., Guzman, J., & Tulder, M. W. V. (2015). Multidisciplinary biopsychosocial rehabilitation for chronic low back pain: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. Bmj , 350 (feb18 5). doi: 10.1136/bmj.h444

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

1 Like

I found myself treating back pain 5 years ago when I was working in an OP clinic and the PT quit. I quickly realized how appropriate it was for OT’s to treat this condition due to our treatment of the person as a whole. I have spent time learning about the energy behind pain, yoga and the chakras, which also contribute to pain when energy doesn’t flow and I have also studied Egoscue (pain free exercise) which is alignment focused. This article speaks to the idea that a focus on the lower back would not serve the person to truly heal. Applying modalities and exercises that focus on that area alone wouldn’t serve the patient for long term healing. I love that this idea is becoming more mainstream. Thanks for the article!

14 Likes

Sarah,

I found the discussion regarding multidisciplinary biopsychosocial approach insightful and agree that the reviewers focused on client outcomes more than those who provided the services beyond their stated definition of multidisciplinary rehabilitation meaning services were “delivered by at least two different professional backgrounds.”

I find the information in the literature regarding team approaches worth discussing. I find that I use an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary team sinuously. Here is one attempt I found at sorting through the various meanings of ‘team approaches’ to client care.

team

[tēm]

a group of people or units organized to do a task together.

interdisciplinary team, a group of health care professionals from diverse fields who work in a coordinated fashion toward a common goal for the patient.

intraprofessional team, a team of professionals who are all from the same profession, such as three physical therapists collaborating on the same case.

multidisciplinary team, a team of professionals including representatives of different disciplines who coordinate the contributions of each profession, which are not considered to overlap, in order to improve patient care.

rehabilitation team, the individuals involved in establishing a plan and goals for the achievement of a patient’s maximum potential. The composition of the team will vary depending on the nature of the patient’s problems; the patient is always included as a member of the rehabilitation team.

transdisciplinary team, a team composed of members of a number of different professions cooperating across disciplines to improve patient care through practice or research.

(https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/interdisciplinary+team )

From Australia, I found these definitions: https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/hospitals-and-health-services/patient-care/older-people/resources/improving-access/ia-interdisciplinary

An interdisciplinary approach involves team members from different disciplines working collaboratively, with a common purpose, to set goals, make decisions and share resources and responsibilities.1

A team of clinicians from different disciplines, together with the patient, undertakes assessment, diagnosis, intervention, goal-setting, and the creation of a care plan. The patient, their family and careers are involved in any discussions about their condition, prognosis and care plan.2

In contrast, a multidisciplinary approach involves team members working independently to create discipline-specific care plans that are implemented simultaneously, but without explicit regard to their interaction.3

Depending on the resources of the individual health service, a combination of the two approaches may be used when caring for older people

My question becomes which definition or ‘team’ approach ultimately allows for the best client centered care and is cost effective for the client. The article discusses the cost inhibits of the multidisciplinary team approach, which on the spectrum of values is less than surgery and is a lower risk to the client. But the monetary demands of approaches demand evidence. So the real question, as posed in the article, is, “does these modest effects support the monetary cost and time commitments associated with multidisciplinary rehabilitation programs?” I believe the insight that clients with major physical and psychological effects of low back pain would currently benefit from the multidisciplinary team approach and would hope in the future evidence would surface regarding the use of teams for other clients.

It appears occupational therapy and other healthcare professionals need to continue to work toward exploring research that will support that ‘team’ approaches to illness and diagnosis like chronic back pain or pain, in general, are practical to the client, in terms of time and money.

I agreed with Jan that occupational therapy’s holist approach to the client and pain may create the cost effective approaches that client’s demand. There is evidence growing for yoga https://www.aota.org/~/media/Corporate/Files/Secure/Practice/CCL/CY5-21/CY521_MiniCAT_MH_yoga.pdf,

tia chi https://www.aota.org/Publications-News/otp/Archive/2014/4-28-14/TaiChi.aspx

Interdisciplinary teams have evidence in some areas of practice like:

school-based practice https://www.aota.org/~/media/Corporate/Files/Publications/CE-Articles/CE-Article-August-2017.pdf

Moderate Evidence when working with individuals with ALS and MS https://www.aota.org/~/media/Corporate/Files/Secure/Practice/CCL/Neuro/ALS-2013.pdf

https://www.aota.org/~/media/Corporate/Files/Secure/Practice/CCL/Neuro/Multiple-Sclerosis-2013.pdf

Occupational therapy practitioners have to continue to document outcomes to support our value.

10 Likes

Wow! @jan, this is awesome! I’m so embarrassed to say that in my OP experience, I never worked with LBP. Even though, I’m sure it was stressful when your PT quit, I’m jealous of all of the learning you did, and it sounds like you did your best to provide great care to your patients.

I’m Googling the Egoscue method now, and I’m wondering how you studied it? Did you actually do a course, or was there a book you found helpful?

YES! Thank you so much for taking the time to define the different types of teams. The difference in the terms are subtle, but really important.

One would think that a truly interdisciplinary team would be the ideal model, because the more closely coordinated the services, the less likely to have needless overlap.

I’m also really glad you brought up cost-effectiveness. I personally think that an interdisciplinary team that is focused on empowering the client to find agency over their condition and equipping them to perform exercise/modalities outside of therapy would be the most cost-effective and have the most long lasting impact. But, we need data to back this up.

3 Likes

In my experience working with patients with LBP, a major contributing factor are their mattresses. Considering how much time we spend in bed (whether we sleep or not), a mattress that is old or too soft can wreak havoc. In Asia, the mattresses are thin and hard, and my back begin to hurt. I have had many patients purchase new mattresses, and this made all the difference. I had one patient in particular who had suffered with chronic LBP for years. After purchasing a memory foam mattress, he had the best sleep and was pain free. Quality sleep is vital to our well-being, and this is often over looked with pain, as it can interfere with sleep.

8 Likes

I did the training thinking i would breeze through… 5 months later :joy: it was amazing though! It helped my lBP in 3 weeks so I became a fan and then decided to get training. I only went to one session and got my exercises and that was all I needed. There are lots of you tube videos to see some of what it is about!

3 Likes

Oh man! Talk about a cost-effective program for patients… to only need one or two sessions then to be able to do the rest on your own!

I had some horrible neck pain about a year ago, and found some relief be seeing a chiropractor, but I was super disappointed he did not have any home exercises to recommend to me! I kept wishing that I had an OT in my area with good knowledge of postural exercises/stretches to help me long term, versus relying on short term relief.

Alls that to say, I definitely think there is a market for the skillset you have developed, @jan!

https://gurmeet.net/miscellaneous/egoscue-exercises/index.html
This is a great website for the Egoscue exercise. These make sense following Kinesiology and Bio-mechanical principles that we all know.

PDF of exercises that go with the video.
Carol, I agree mattresses are important related to pain management and the occupation of sleep. Life stress increases and creates maladaptive behaviors when one is not getting their needed sleep.

6 Likes

This is a great article and I can’t wait to dive into some of the research articles they used to see what some of the interventions actually looked like. I work in industry with a focus on ergonomics and see individuals with discomfort. Chronic back pain is one of the more common issues the workers I see experience. I think it is so important to look at the way people are moving their body in their every day tasks and the postures they are in most frequently. I’m also so glad to see research that is dedicated to multifaceted approach with various disciplines. And in the future maybe within disciplines. I haven’t had the opportunity yet, I’ve only been at this job for a few months, but I would love to work with an outpt OT who was seeing a person for skilled therapy and then I could look at their work site and problem solve ways they can do their job with as little discomfort as possible. I spend a lot of time discussing posture and working on pacing and strengthening to improve posture. Because just telling someone to stand straight is so unhelpful. I instead focus on changing habits to help with posture for example reminders to move more or change positions or altering a work station so people don’t feel the need to slouch.

1 Like

Shelia, I am teaching kinesiology for the first time. I try to make the principles applicable to
the students by making them think about how they sit, stand, and do functional tasks. I am focusing on how routine performance impacts the body structure. I like your thoughts that we have to change habits, routines, and motor patterns not just say stand up straight!

2 Likes

I like seeing articles like this because it definitely highlights the importance of integrated clinical care.

I’d also be interested to see which types of interventions within the context of a multidisciplinary treatment program appeared to be most effective. While a lot of literature exists on the biomechanics (kinesiology, body position, exercises, etc.), there have been recent articles and work done on the other two components of the biopsychosocial model (psychological & environmental/social). A patient’s perceptions, expectations, and even past experiences can have a great impact on their functional outcomes. It would be interesting to see how a multidisciplinary approach that includes addressing pain experiences, historical experiences (including trauma), patient expectations/perceptions of treatment, and even neuroscience pain education compares to a strictly multidisciplinary approach focused on a more biomedical model.

7 Likes

So good to see you in here, @rafi! Do you have any specific resources you like to reference for pain management (that align with the biospychosocial model)? I was just Googling the International Pain and Spine Institute, which I had always thought of as a leader in rehab and pain management…but their website appears to be down? I definitely think of their CEO Adriaan Louw as a PT leader in pain management and he does have some MedBridge courses that look really compelling: https://www.medbridgeeducation.com/instructors/adriaan-louw-pt-phd-csmt/

Hi I recently started working with a PT and kin an me, OT as a multi team. My role in OT is really about addressing the understanding of persistant pain (pain vs harm, pain system, etc) and how to apply pacing and addressing beliefs about pain, body mechanics and goal setting. It’s fun and useful as they get to practice at the clinic with kin which I get to plug in functional task in the gym program. We learn from each other and we give the same message to our clients. It’s a great team work and clients have been responding very well and progressing quicker then when when either only kin or only OT or PT.

4 Likes

Hi @sheila1! I’m so glad to have you weigh in here. Ergonomics is one of my favorite topics! I agree that it would be awesome to have some solid working relationships with other healthcare providers in your community. It seems like the dream team would have:

1.) Someone who is good at providing short term relief (a chiropracter, massage therapist, PT, OT?)
2.) Someone who is good with ergonomics and set-up of the environment (YOU!)
3.) And, someone who is good at making a long term exercise/stretching plan. (Maybe you/someone else?)

Also, I LOVE your focus on building habits! I just finished the book Atomic Habits and highly recommend it.

Finally, I use a habit tracker that has been incredible! It is pretty techy and nerdy, and almost has a dungeon and dragons flair… which sounds weird, but might be helpful to a very specific type of individual: https://habitica.com/

1 Like

This was very insightful to read. As a student, I do not have a ton of field experience at this point so it is things like this that I feel that I can grow and learn from. I did not realize there was such a vast array of formulations of teams, and how they work together. Upon seeing this, brings up the question as to what works best for both healthcare providers and benefits the client. Definitely something to be further researched.

3 Likes

Hey @SarahLyon!

There are a few good resources out there:

• “Why do I Hurt?” By Adriaan Louw is a great resources for patient education. It’s a 30-40 page book that’s very picture-heavy and does a great job explaining pain to patients. It’s also pretty cheap at around $12-16 on amazon

• “Explain Pain” by Lorimer Mosely is great as well, though more expensive

• “Graded Motor Imagery” By Lorimer Mosely & David Butler is a great exercise program that aims to alter pain neurotags or sensitive networks of the brain.

Those are all pretty good places to start. If you want more info about the biopsychosocial model, I did a recent podcast about it here: https://seniorsflourish.com/biopsychosocial-occupational-therapy/
I’ve also got a course on the biopsychosocial model here: https://rehabupracticesolutions.com/bps-course-landing/
You can use code “rehabu50” for 50% off until 2/10/20

3 Likes

After reading through this article, I was encouraged by it’s focus on providing holistic treatment. As an OTA student, I am learning how to provide the best treatment for my future patients, and research such as this is very helpful to consider for the future. I had never thought about the complexity associated with lower back pain prior to reading this article, and how patients who struggle with the burden of pain are best treated by a team of people who have different skill sets. I believe that OT is definitely a tool that can be used to provide treatment for these patients, especially since it is a field that provides holistic service.

1 Like

Sarah, I noticed in reviewing critically appraised topics on the AOTA page they sometimes pull out the team method but not consistently.

1 Like