Universal newborn screening for congenital CMV infection

Read Full Text: Universal newborn screening for congenital CMV infection: What is the evidence of potential benefit? (2014)
Journal: Reviews in Medical Virology
Year Published: 2014
Ranked 12th on our 2014-2019 list of the 50 most influential articles

Article overview for OTs

Congenital cytomegalovirus (cCMV) infection is a leading cause of childhood disability, including hearing loss, cognitive deficits, and vision impairment.

The number of children with cCMV-related disabilities is similar to, or greater than, better-known conditions such as Down’s Syndrome and spina bifida.

This article sought to explore the evidence as to whether newborn cCMV screening could allow for early detection—which, in turn, might improve outcomes for those infected.

Overall, it was estimated that several thousands of children in the US could benefit from screening, detection, and early intervention.

Occupational therapy’s role in this article

Occupational therapy is mentioned in the article as a non-pharmaceutical intervention for children with cCMV. However, no direction is given regarding what type of occupational therapy interventions were recommended. (Hopefully this is something we can discuss in the comments.)

One thing that research indicated, though, is that the earlier deficits are detected and addressed, the better. Specifically, the review of evidence concluded:

• There is good evidence of the potential benefit of non-pharmaceutical interventions provided by nine months of age.
  • There is fair evidence of non-pharmaceutical and antiviral therapy interventions for congenital CMV-related cognitive deficits and hearing loss occurring between nine and 24 months of age.
  • There is poor (insufficient) evidence of the efficacy of non-pharmaceutical interventions for children with delayed hearing loss occurring after 24 months of age (as well as for children with visual impairments).

Advocacy for screening within our hospitals

A definitive diagnosis of congenital CMV requires the detection of the virus within the first two to three weeks after birth. If developmental disabilities become apparent at a later date, it is not possible to definitively associate them with congenital CMV if this initial test had not been administered.

This is even more complicated by the fact that children may or may not be symptomatic at birth; this is why standardized screening could be so important. If developmental disabilities appear at a later date and screening was not initially performed at birth, it could result in a “diagnostic odyssey.” This basically means it could lead to a whole slew of unnecessary tests and avoidable stresses on the patient and family, all of which could have been prevented with earlier screening.

If I may make a personal recommendation that was not found in the article, The National CMV Foundation is a great resource for further understanding of CMV, as well as for updates on screening research. You can also find a list of hospitals that have adopted standardized screening processes for CMV.

Pediatric OTs at increased risk of CMV infection

One more thing I’d like to mention—and, this was not in this article, but I thought it was important to share—recent research has illuminated the lack of awareness among pediatric therapists about their increased risk for acquiring CMV infection. If you are pediatric OT, this is important to consider when you are contemplating CMV screening during your own pregnancy.

It is certainly worth reading through Mayo Clinic’s overview of CMV, but here are the basics to be aware of:

CMV often presents in healthy adults as with common symptoms such as:

• Fatigue
  • Fever
  • Sore throat
  • Muscle aches

It is spread through bodily fluids, including:

• blood
  • urine
  • saliva
  • breast milk
  • tears

Your risk of acquiring CMV infection is dramatically decreased through universal precautions, so don’t forget to wash those hands!

Listen to a summary in podcast form

Find other platforms for listening to the OT Potential Podcast here.

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

2 Likes

Again, universal precautions should not be taken lightly! I didn’t realize that CMV can cause more disability in children than Downs syndrome, spina bifida and Fetal alcohol syndrome, wow!

5 Likes

This was a helpful article even though I do not work with children this age right now. I did not realize we could be carrying the virus. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I was surprised by that too! This was totally not on my radar. Hadn’t seen CMV since my microbiology days…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I like your added thoughts about pediatric OTs at increased risk of CMV, although I’d like to add that it’s certainly not only therapists who work with pediatric patients that can be at risk! I work in acute care and we regularly care for patients with CMV. Sometimes we may be working with a patient for a while before their test results come back positive. I talked to an MD on our infectious disease team, who suggested that it was fine to see patients who are infected as long as we have good hand hygiene. Also, it may be important to be extra careful with those who have CMV Colitis, due to the increased stooling and increased opportunities for transmission. Anyone who assists patients regularly with toileting tasks should keep this in mind. Wash your hands!

5 Likes

This has me totally surprised, because I’ve never heard of CMV. I currently work in a SNF, so I’m not around kiddos very often, but I do have several nieces and nephews.
I am usually pretty good about my hand hygiene, especially around babies, but I’ll be more careful in the future!
Thank you for the information!

1 Like

I’m so glad you brought this up, @antonia! And, it is good to hear what your infections disease team said about hand washing.

Throughout my reading, people with weakened immune systems were mentioned alongside pregnant women as people who are at much greater risk of adverse CMV symptoms.

So, not only is important for those of us working with adults to protect ourselves, it is also important to protect our patients, if we have any of the symptoms listed above.

What could seem like an “off-week” of fatigue to us, could be much more consequential for our patients if we were to pass along the virus.

1 Like