Pelvic Floor Dysfunction After Childbirth: Occupational Impact and Awareness of Available Treatment

Read Full Text: Pelvic Floor Dysfunction After Childbirth: Occupational Impact and Awareness of Available Treatment (You may need to pay for full access to this article, but will still felt it was important to cover.)
Journal: OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health
Year Published: 2020
CEU Podcast: Pelvic Health & OT with Lindsey Vestal

Today’s article calls pelvic floor dysfunction a significant and neglected public health issue.

And, I have to say that my story—and the story of many women I know—backs that up!

Unfortunately, we’ll see something disheartening in the research: despite pelvic floor dysfunction impacting around 25% of women in the US, there is a profound lack of understanding of the disorder and how to treat it.

The good news is that OTs are perfectly poised to help meet the needs of pelvic health patients! We used this article to jumpstart our understanding of pelvic rehab, and had guest Lindsey Vestal of the Functional Pelvis on to the OT Potential Podcast. We discussed the research and Lindsey shared how OTs can support this population.

Let’s dive in.

What is the pelvic floor?

The pelvic floor is composed of three layers of muscles and connective tissue. It is designed to support the functions of the:

• Bladder
  • Rectum
  • Female reproductive system

Both men and women have a pelvic floor (picture below), and all genders can experience dysfunction.

What is pelvic floor dysfunction?

Pelvic floor dysfunction (PFD) occurs when you have difficulty coordinating the pelvic floor muscles. This can result in:

• Pelvic pain
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Fecal incontinence
  • Pelvic organ prolapse

The article we are looking at focuses specifically on PFD in women. Approximately 25% of women in the US have at least one pelvic floor disorder. That’s crazy!

Here’s what is even crazier: there are plenty of treatment options for PFD, such as surgery, pelvic floor rehab, and lifestyle modifications. However, previous studies indicate that there is simply an overall lack of understanding of both PFD and its treatment options.

Which leads us to this article…

What was the goal of this paper?

The authors sought to look at PFD from an occupational therapy lens. They wanted to know, for women who had experienced PFD after childbirth:

• What was the impact of PFD on occupations?
  • How severely did PFD impact their daily lives?
  • What was the level of awareness of daily treatment options?

What were the authors’ methods?

This was a pretty simple study design, as it involved the distribution of an online survey. Inclusion criteria included:

• Women ages 18-45
  • Given birth to at least one child (and not currently pregnant)
  • Lives in the US

The survey the authors created was 31 questions on a 4-point scale. There was also one qualitative question. The survey was distributed to organizations, associations, and Facebook groups that supported women following the birth of a child.

What were the results?

224 eligible participants completed at least a portion of the survey.

To be honest, I would have liked to have seen the results laid out a little more clearly, but I did my best to summarize them below. I converted everything to percentage points when possible to make it easier to read.

Pelvic floor symptoms and participation in rehab

Pelvic floor symptoms ever experienced

• Leakage of urine with movement 69%
  • Pain during sexual intercourse 53%
  • Urgency to use the bathroom 50%
  • Pain near your hips or abdominals 44%
  • Feeling as if you still have to urinate after using the restroom 40%
  • Feelings of heaviness, bulging, or pressure in the vaginal area 30%
  • Leakage of stool 8%
  • Unable to control bowel movements 7%

Pelvic floor symptoms with the most impact on day

• Leakage of urine with movement 37%
  • Pain near your hips or abdominals 17%
  • Pain during sexual intercourse 11%
  • Urgency to use the bathroom 11%
  • Feelings of heaviness, bulging, or pressure in vaginal area 5%
  • Unable to control bowel movements 4%
  • Feeling as if you still have to urinate after using the restroom 3%
  • Leakage of stool 2%

Pelvic floor symptom duration

• 0-3 months 23%
  • 4-6 months 10%
  • 7-12 months 12%
  • 1 year or longer 55%

Resolution of pelvic floor symptoms

• Yes 23%
  • No 77%

Rehabilitation for pelvic floor dysfunction

• Participation in occupational or physical therapy 24%
  • No rehabilitative or surgical treatment 60%

Impact on daily activities

Participants were requested to indicate whether PFD symptoms impacted their daily activities. Here’s the breakdown of which activities the participants indicated were impacted:

• Exercise 58%
  • Sexual activity 54%
  • Self-care activities 33%
  • Care for children 29%
  • Leisure activities 27%
  • Rest and sleep 22%
  • Shopping and running errands 20%
  • Caring for a home 15%
  • Job requirements or volunteering 10%
  • Social participation 9%
  • Driving 6%

Level of Awareness

The majority (133 of the participants) indicated they had never received information regarding pelvic floor rehabilitation as an option for the treatment of PFD symptoms.

Of the small percentage that did find information, here were their sources:

• Obstetrician/gynecologists (n = 18)
  • Internet (n =15)
  • Family or friends (n = 20)

Only four participants had attended OT for PFD.

Discussion and conclusion

The results indicated that PFD after child birth may hinder a woman’s ability to fully engage in meaningful occupations. As you saw above, the two areas that were most impacted were sexual activity and exercise.

Despite a reported impact on daily life, over half of the participants reported seeking no treatment, and only a small percentage of treatment came from a medical provider.

The lack of reporting of signs and symptoms suggests that women may be undereducated about treatment options. (I thought it was particularly telling that women learned about treatment options from friends more often than doctors.)

The authors end with calling for more research and advocacy in the field of OT to increase the public’s awareness of PFD rehabilitation.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(Please note: these are my personal takeaways and were not mentioned specifically in the article.)

1.) We are just at the beginning of OT research in this practice area!

This article represents very early-stage research, but I think it really opens the path forward for more research like it. It seems pretty clear that this is an overall neglected diagnosis for women. And, that OTs bring a needed perspective and skillset to serving these patients.

Thanks to leaders like Lindsey Vestal (next week’s podcast guest), there is also more passion and focus within the OT community regarding pelvic health.

2.) Increased public awareness is needed.

This research really showcased that increasing public awareness needs to be part of any plan to offer more services for PFD.

If you are looking at offering pelvic health services in your area, part of your plan will need to be educating fellow health providers and your community, since PFD is discussed more among friends than in the doctor’s office.

I’m excited to talk with you in the comments regarding how we can spread the word among our fellow OTs (and our local communities)!

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
Burkhart, R., Couchman, K., Crowell, K., Jeffries, S., Monvillers, S., &; Vilensky, J. (2020). Pelvic floor dysfunction after childbirth: Occupational impact and awareness of available treatment. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health, 41(2), 108–115.

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with OT (and Club member!), Lindsey Vestal. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

4 Likes

This conversation is incredibly important to have!
Not only is pelvic floor dysfunction an underserved area after childbirth but it is not widely known that OTs have an incredible role serving this community! It is abolutely in our scope of practice and our biopsychosocial approach uniquely positions us for it!

5 Likes

Thrilled to see more research being conducted in this area of OT. There are so many opportunities for OTs to get involved in PH across the life span. As we continue to be more present at PH table it will be imperative that we have the OTPF by our side which will help delineate our unique role within PH. Sarah, looking forward to hearing your next podcast with Lindsey! She rocks!

6 Likes

I love this! As a newly licensed OT, yoga teacher and just having my first baby this is the perfect niche for me. I am very serious about starting a small practice focusing on pelvic health to help women in my community. Knowing what I want to do is half of the battle… Now I need to learn how to create contracts with insurance and how to bill for this service. Any resources would be greatly appreciated! I am so excited to find an area of practice that not only am I passionate about but is also a need in my community. I am also interested in how this can be an opportunity for research! I know that grants and funding can be provided for research, I am just not sure how to go about it. We only scratch the surface in school so anyone with experience who can offer ideas and/or resources would also be GREATLY appreciated!

6 Likes

Sarah,
I am so glad you chose this topic for discussion this week. PF is such a less known and less served area in women. I remember my mom and older sisters just bearing it quietly as part of post-childbirth symptoms way back. No one addressed it and women were left to fend for themselves.
I had attended an inservice many years ago by one of our PTs who had started this program in our hospital. I am so glad to see increased awareness about it. Two of my OT students are very interested in this topic and have completed a CE program on PF while they were in the OT program. One of them is also a Yoga instructor and is seeking a level 2 FW placement with a CI who works in PF. I have introduced this topic in my ‘emerging areas of OT practice’ course with a guest lecture by one of the PF OTs in our area.
Looking forward to next week’s podcast, thank you.

6 Likes

Hi Trisha,
I reached out to my student and this is what she has replied:
I took Herman and Wallace’s PF1 course! It’s the prerequisite for a bunch of other fantastic opportunities. This one focused on the musculature of people with vulvas (they use nonbinary language, which I love!), but there are more courses for people with penises and then lots of specializations, including dynamic breathing techniques, postpartum, bowel continence, etc. I’m looking forward to doing more with them in the future!
I am sure Lindsey will have many resources for us next week.

4 Likes

This an extremely important topic for women of all ages. I work with geriatrics and have tx’d a few that have come looking specifically for PF exercises and then a few that came on board once they knew that it could be addressed in therapy. I believe there is a very large population out there who would be interested if they knew it was available. Women tell me they do not go places for fear there might not be a bathroom available. I am interested in any avenue this discussion takes us because the freedom from the incontinence and pain changes lives.

4 Likes

@trisha2 I wanted to share this post in this thread as well- to give you some initial info on becoming a pelvic health OT. @lindsey6, when your podcast comes out next week, we should totally update this page! (I’ll email you about it this week- it looks to me like most of the information is still relevant?)

@debbie1 I am so glad to hear about your work with older adults in this area! I definitely would have guessed this is true, that there is a big need in this area. But, honestly I hadn’t heard from someone who has on the ground experience from someone who works in geriatrics. @lindsey6 maybe you could help me find a guest for next year that could speak specifically to geriatrics- both OP and working with older adults in SNFs. I think a lot of OTs and patients would benefit from this knowledge!

1 Like

I love all the comments so far. I am a BIG fan of Lindsey’s and have been following her for about a year. As an OT I sought out a pelvic floor therapy last January after experiencing 4 yrs of anguish following a radical hysterectomy and pelvic radiation for cervical cancer. I learned so much!

I know the article is about damage at birth, just want to put my 2 cents in as to the horrific damage pelvic radiation can pose to both men and women. Yes, it saves lives. It also impacts QOL. Pelvic floor therapy should be on the discharge plan, especially for women who have had trauma to the vaginal canal/cervix as well as surrounding muscles and ligaments. Bravo for this therapy!

4 Likes

Amen! I don’t think I said this clearly enough in the podcast, but pelvic floor therapy works! The research behind simple muscle training seems strong- and one has to think it is ever more powerful when coupled with an approach like the biopsychosocial model!

@lisa I’m so sorry to hear about your 4 years of anguish. I’m so thankful you found pelvic floor therapy - thank goodness for your OT training, I’m sure that helped you advocate for yourself during that difficult time.

1 Like

Thank you for this! I looked into the courses and am trying to decide on which will be the best next move for me.

2 Likes

This was a fantastic read! I am looking into starting w the OT Pioneers: Intro class just to get started. I appreciate the feedback. Also just want to put it out there, as suggested, I am in the South Florida area and would like to connect with a mentor. If anyone in the area sees this and is interested please feel free to comment and/or message me. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

wow… i love these articles . OT has a wide practise spectrum. It’s beautiful.

3 Likes

I was so happy to see this article pop up in my email. I work with geriatrics and I just had my first patient with pelvic floor dysfunction. Honestly, I had did not know where to begin and had to do alot of research into pelvic floor dysfunction. After my research, I realized how important this was to the OT world and how much of an impact that we can make by just simply addressing this with patients. I am now looking into getting a certification to work more specialized with pelvic floor dysfunction because of the importance and impact that it has on my patients that I was unaware of. I am glad to know that there are OTs out there having these conversations and researching more into this topic. I look forward to hearing the podcast and look forward to learning more! If anyone has any resources for me that they would like to share or just any personal experiences with patients I would LOVE to hear!

4 Likes

Great question, Trisha! I am so excited that you are interested in learning more! Herman + Wallace is a great step towards getting coursework for entering the pelvic health speciality (as mentioned by Sanchala). If you are interested in getting the OT perspective (which focuses much more on the biopsychosocial approach), please check out OT Pioneers: Intro to Pelvic Floor Therapy for Occupational Therapists (www.otpioneers.com). It is self-paced, online, and includes mentorship calls – and has CEUs from the AOTA!

1 Like

Sarah - It would be my pleasure to introduce you to a few OTs (who also happen to be [OT Pioneers] (https://www.otpioneers.com) alumni) that specialize in working with the geriatric population! It is such a rewarding group to work with!

1 Like

The article looks great! The biggest update since we collaborated on this article would be the addition of the FB group @otsforpelvichealth! We have free, weekly lives where we dive into case studies, diagnosis dives, and business topics!
We also have a list of OTs practicing in pelvic health accessible there and a list of OTs offering mentoring.

3 Likes

@lindsey6 Something I’ve been wondering about after reading the comments is if you have specific recommendations for learning about pelvic health for OTs in geriatrics. I see a huge need for places like an SNF. Where would you direct OTs in these settings? I can totally see a course for there therapists being super popular!