Cultivating Leaders in Care: Establishing an Intercollegiate OT Student Leadership Society

The aim of this capstone project is to create an inclusive, intercollegiate leadership society for occupational therapy students.

Student Name: Rianna LaFleche
Mentor Name: Brittany Adams, OT, OTD, MS, OTR
School: Western New England University (WNE)
Capstone Setting: Academia - WNE, Springfield, MA
Virtual/In-Person/Hybrid: Hybrid

Capstone Objectives:

1. Develop and implement an inaugural chapter of an inclusive, intercollegiate OT student leadership society that is not based on grade point achievements.
  2. Develop a society manual that outlines the policies and procedures for existing and future chapters to be established.

Method/Design/Approach:

This project consisted of distributing a survey across OT schools in Western MA within the first 2 weeks to understand the needs of student leaders, followed by four online zoom meetings with board members, one workshop event and concluded with a focus group to further inform the future of the society. Through these meetings, students collaborated to develop a society manual, initiatives for the society and a sustainability plan.

Results/Outcomes:

The conclusion of this project will be at the end of July and will be updated following that.

Future Directions for Project:

TBD at the conclusion of the project in July.

Influence on OT Career:

This project has allowed me to gain confidence and acquire skills in leadership and management that I will be able to utilize in practice. I will be able to help lead effective teams to provide meaningful client centered care.

@brittany20, I can totally see your as the mentor on the project! Such needed work! @rianna, as of 3 weeks ago (when I first dug into the literature on leadership development :joy:) I am huge supporter in leadership skill building. Every OT at every level deserves training in this!

I’m curious about the intercollegiate model you’ve created. How many schools do you see participating? Do you see this as regional? Do you see the society manual as something other regions could build on to create their own leadership society?

In my region, we have 3-4 schools participating and I think it’s a good number. I do see it as something that different regions can create and it’s been a fun way to build connections with students from other OT schools from my experience so far! The manual will serve as a way for other regions to create their own society, but I also envision that they will be able to have their own By Laws of some sort to allow the society to suit their needs. I think the manual will also evolve as the society is sustained.

1 Like

Hey @rianna I’m looking at the handbook right now! Is it OK to link it in this this thread? I want other people to be able to find it!

Hi @SarahLyon - Absolutely!

1 Like

Do you want to edit above and add whatever links to your website and future directions you want to include?

1 Like

ALSO, @brittany20 and @rianna keep me posted if I can help you in the future. Some ideas I had to help were:

• Having a dedicated forum space for society members
  • Giving members the option to add a badge on their directory profile (like I have COTAD on mine: Sarah Lyon OTR/L • OT Potential)

@ryan_lavalley when we talk tomorrow, I want to tell you about this capstone!

1 Like

Those are great ideas, that would be awesome!

1 Like

I love both of these ideas! I’ll be sure to keep you posted on how things are moving along

1 Like

Sounds great! You are doing such important work, @brittany20!