Cortical changes underlying balance recovery in patients with hemiplegic stroke

Read Full Text: Cortical changes underlying balance recovery in patients with hemiplegic stroke (Must purchase to read in full)
Journal: NeuroImage (Impact Factor 5.42)
Year Published: 2014
Ranked 29th on our 2014-2019 list of the 50 most influential articles

Big-picture article breakdown for OTs

I’m going to be honest, I’m a little surprised by how little we know about the brain.

But, at the same time, I’m impressed by how quickly our knowledge base is growing.

Take this week’s article, for example. It seeks to understand which parts of the brain are responsible for balance control (as well as its post-stroke recovery mechanisms).

Now, we already know that the spinal cord, brainstem, cerebellum, basal ganglia, and cerebral cortex each play a role in balance, but that is basically like saying the central nervous system controls balance—it would be helpful to be more specific.

A previous study found a correlation between the supplementary motor area (SMA) and prefrontal cortex (both specific parts of the cerebral cortex) in balance control.

However, the exact roles these two areas would play in balance recovery following stroke remained unclear.

Thus, a longitudinal study was conducted to gather more information. This study monitored the aforementioned areas of the brain before and after intensive rehabilitation following a hemipalegic stroke.

The authors found a significant correlation between activity in the SMA and balance function improvement, as measured by the Berg Balance Scale.

The implication of this is that cortical activation changes could be used as biomarkers for balance recovery after stroke. And, they might also be useful in evaluating whether rehab interventions are working.

What OTs need know about the details

This study was conducted in Osaka, Japan. It involved twenty patients: 20 male, and three female. All of these patients were admitted to multidisciplinary inpatient rehab to address impairments from subcortical strokes. The average length of rehab was 41 days.

Assessments utilized:

The use of fNIRS

To measure cortical activation, a Functional Near Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS) was used. Here’s an example of one, to give you an idea:

Because, the details about the imaging are so dense and outside of our expertise, I’ll direct you to the article to learn more about exact fNIRS utilized, and for details about the data they gathered.

How was OT involved?

Rehabilitation was provided seven days a week, with 60 minutes of PT, 60 minutes of OT, and SLP as needed.

Here’s what occupational therapy included:

• Relaxation
  • Training for hygiene
  • Dressing
  • Writing
  • Eating
  • Toileting and bathing
  • Balance exercises
  • Reaching
  • Coordinative taks of the upper limb and trunk and
  • Dual motor tasks, such as handling objects while standing and walking

It is fun to see that even though this study took place across the globe from where I sit, the OT interventions sound very familiar :slight_smile:

Takeaways for OT

(These are my personal takeaways, and were not mentioned in the article.)

Biomarkers could quickly become an important objective measure for OT.

If you’ve been following the Club each week, you know that we’ve talked about biomarkers before. We’ve already reviewed one other article related to cortical changes and biomarkers for stroke.

There is an interesting combination of things going on right now: we are learning more and more about which areas of the brain are involved in functional recovery. And the technology to measure these changes is rapidly becoming less expensive.

I couldn’t easily find information on how much a fNIRS costs, but the general trend we are seeing in technologies like this is that they are becoming more and more affordable.

Which, I’m guessing, means that within a decade, even an average OT clinic may be using some sort of brainwave tracker—and using it to measure progress.

Function is still important.

I, for one, don’t see these objective measures as precluding the need for functional measures. Instead, I see them as a complement to them.

Our hope, of course, is that the cortical changes will substantiate the efficacy of our treatments—and give us better information than we currently have for adjusting treatments as needed.

We know that many of biomechanical measures we currently use don’t necessarily translate to functional improvements. (For example, if your ROM improves by a couple degrees, that doesn’t necessarily mean your functional outcomes improve.) However, cortical changes will hopefully have a closer correlation to functional improvements.

This is not just for stroke patients.

Both of the articles we’ve looked at about biomarkers have been related to stroke. But, this technology is just not important for stroke patients. If it ends up working, I think it will quickly expand to other diagnoses.

The other diagnosis I’ve heard most frequently associated with biomarkers is autism. For past discussion on autism and biomarkers, please see the discussion on this biomarker article and this one on autism.

Listen to a summary in podcast form:

Find other platforms for listening to the OT Potential Podcast here.

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

1 Like

I love that technology is opening up so much information for us in rehab, but as one who reviews documentation for prior authorizations, I have to wonder if, years from now, biomarkers stats will have to be reported and insurance companies won’t pay if your “numbers” don’t fall within a certain range of brain activity. Understand, I would be TOTALLY against this, since we as OT providers work with people who have survived a stroke to improve function through compensatory means probably just as often as doing neuromuscular re-education.

3 Likes

I’m really glad that you brought this up, @lori, because I think there will be multiple ethical quandaries to navigate with this new technology. The other way I’ve read about biomarkers possibly being used is for “rehab readiness” or to quantify who has the most potential to benefit from therapy. Basing any complex rehab decision on one indicator alone, of course, should not be our future. I hope that as OTs we can play a role in guiding appropriate and ethical use of new technologies like this, and I’m so thankful for the OTs that are already working on these frontiers. OTs are exactly the kind of people I want deciding how to wield this kind of technology.

1 Like

Such an interesting time to be an OT! I love that this continues to open the possibilities for us to partner with other disciplines. In some previous work at a residential treatment facility for preteens I worked closely with the director of neurotherapies to attempt some tracking changes in our student’s brains with a new intervention we were looking into. We still have a long way to go but these partnerships can hopefully improve our evidence-base for OT interventions of all sorts.

4 Likes

This article is great to continue to learn more about the brain! That’s why I love neruo as an OT. I love that they utilized a combination of technology (which is amazing) with other OT assessments and intervention techniques. I think this is what sets us apart as OT’s is being able to combine interventions/assessments we know and trust with some new technology to help increase a client’s overall function. I am excited by this research and cannot wait to read more and see where we go from here!

2 Likes

I know that there are lots of challenges working in healthcare right now, but my hope is that changing reimbursement, policies, etc. doesn’t steal our attention away from the exciting changes that are happening. Because, I totally agree with you it is an exciting time to be an OT, and I see lots of opportunities on the horizon for our holistic lens to shine!

1 Like

Oh wow, @Emily_PolovickMoulds! I love that you’ve actually worked on something similar to this with adolescents. I’m really curious what kind of tracking device you guys were using?

(Also, welcome to the Club!!!)

2 Likes

I learned so much from this article! Not just about balance recovery but also biomarkers and that OT treatment interventions are the same across the planet!
My major takeaway from this article is that biomarkers (in this article the cortical activation changes) would be a great non-invasive way to measure direct and indirect outcomes. Some people aren’t the best “test takers”. So I think the tracking the biomarkers while they are performing a task could give someone good feedback regardless if they are anxious or just having a bad day.

3 Likes

Totally! Many of our assessments have too many opportunities for error or simply don’t take enough variables into account (even something as simple as time of day that the assessment is being given.) I see a lot of possibility for biomarkers to be a much more reliable outcome measure.

I also love that you mentioned the similarities of OT across the planet. Definitely one of my biggest takeaways from looking at these journal articles is how important it is to NOT stay siloed to our country and profession. If we do, we will be missing important advances in rehab!

2 Likes

Thanks for another interesting article.
I agree with you that objective measures should not replace functional outcome measures but they would definitely substantiate and support the efficacy and need for OT. Wouldn’t it be great that depending on the cortical changes we see, we could then tweak our interventions to make positive changes in the brain and function? Can you imagine if we were able to track exactly the area which causes spasticity and be able to reduce it? Wow, endless possibilities and very exciting!

2 Likes

I was interested to know a little more about fNIRS and found this info in an article from University of Spain by José León-Carrión and Umberto León-Domínguez (2012). This device is much easier to use and less expensive than fMRI.

1. fNIRS is a device designed to detect changes in the concentration of oxygenated (oxyHb)and deoxygenated (deoxyHb) haemoglobin molecules in the blood, a method commonly used to assess cerebral activity. Over the last decade, functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) has widely extended its applications due to its capacity to quantify oxygenation in blood and organic tissue in a continuous and non invasive manner (Chance & Leigh, 1977;
    Villringer & Chance, 1997). This technique is an effective, albeit ‘indirect’, optical
    neuroimaging method that monitors hemodynamic response to brain activation, on the basis that neural activation and vascular response are tightly coupled, so termed neurovascular coupling’.
  2. Implications for the use of fNIRS are as follows:
  • Populations that may not be able to readily tolerate the confines of an fMRI magnet or be able to remain sufficiently still, e.g., schizophrenics, autistic children, neonates.
  • Populations that require the long-term monitoring of cerebral oxygenation, e.g.,
    premature and other high-risk infants.
  • Studies that require repeated, low-cost neuroimaging, e.g., treatment studies that image the cortex for efficacy.
  • Applications where an fMRI system would be too expensive or cumbersome, e.g., for use in a clinical office.
    Reference:
    José León-Carrión and Umberto León-Domínguez (2012). Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS): Principles and Neuroscientific Applications, Neuroimaging - Methods, Prof. Peter Bright (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-
    51-0097-3, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/neuroimaging-methods/functional-nearinfrared-spectroscopy-fnirs-brain-studies-and-others-clinical-uses
5 Likes

Wow! @Sanchala! This description of fNIRS is much easier to understand than the other information I had read on it. Thank you for sharing!! I had called these devices in my description, brainwave trackers, but calling them brain-activity trackers might be more accurate since they actually measure hemoglobin…

1 Like

We can never learn too much about stroke patients. I read an article and saw a video of how the treatment of Stem cells really improved the prognosis for victims of a CVA

1 Like

I agree, @carol!! The use of stem cells feels almost sci-fi to me, but it is definitely something that should be on OTs’ radar. I revied this article earlier this year, and it seems that early research is suggesting that stems cells for stroke is most effective when coupled with traditional rehab:

https://club.otpotential.com/t/stem-cells-as-an-emerging-paradigm-in-stroke-3/154

1 Like

Thank you @SarahLyon! I was working with our neurotherapy technicians and I believe they were using the ‘Clinical Q’ assessment pre and post with our preteens. I was also using the short sensory profile and qualitative observations.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing the name. I just found the assessment and it is extremely affordable! https://bio-medical.com/quickqbraindryvr-software-suite-for-infiniti.html

2 Likes