Software recommendation

I would love to hear if anyone has any recommendations for HIPAA compliant Voice dictation software? The one I have heard the most about is Dragon medical one but it does not work with Macs. Physical limitations require me to use Voice activated software to dictate notes and I would love to hear if anyone has any experience or suggestions with this. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey @caitlin15 ! I am so fascinated by this question. I see a reality coming quickly where a software listens to our conversation with patients, and uses AI to start our notes for us. (Here’s an example of this happening in behaviroral health.)

In the meantime though, I was wondering if your dictation software needed to integrate with a particular EHR- and if your EHR would have an suggestions for you. Otherwise here’s a post I found with mac options, and one that looked particularly interesting:

1 Like

Thank you so much for looking into this and for these recommendations Sarah! I haven’t yet chosen EHR System but it seems most Voice dictation companies claim that they work with most but we’ll see! Making sure that the technologies I’m using are HIPAA compliant and ethical as well as meet my needs has definitely been a challenge, especially in this new world of AI. Thanks again Sarah! If anyone has any experience using any of these I would love to know.

I have tried Dragon and I didnt like it very much. There was a weird lag so I found it became very slow! I’ve tried a couple different versions of Dragon Naturally Speak, and it was the same thing (on different laptops too). I started using the one on my MAC bookair. I open up Word and there’s a dictation button on it. Its worked better for me even though it’s not as advanced as Dragon, in terms of all the features available. I’m unsure if this option is HIPAA compliant though. I would think so since it appears to be built into MAC…

1 Like

@rubina Sadly, right now Apple dictation does not meet our HIPPA standards here in the US. But, I’m not sure on your privacy rules in Canada?

I’ve been thinking about Apple a lot latey though, because with the big AI update coming to Siri, I’m guessing we’ll all be wishing we could use it!