Rehabilitation for people with multiple sclerosis: An overview of Cochrane systematic reviews

Read Full Text: Rehabilitation for people with multiple sclerosis: an overview of Cochrane systematic reviews
Journal: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
Year Published: 2017/2019
Ranked 83rd on our 2016-2021 list of the 100 Most Influential OT Research Articles

Cochrane Reviews are considered some of the best evidence available. So, when they cover a topic that’s relevant to OT, we need to pay attention!

This week’s article is a Cochrane Review of multiple sclerosis (MS) rehab. Unfortunately, you’re not going to see a rousing endorsement of OT in this review. (Hint: the word “insufficient” was used.) But, there is still so much we can learn from this paper. Not only will you find research regarding many treatments you may already be using, but you’ll also learn about some assessments that can help guide your sessions.

One big takeaway from this review is that the treatment of MS has evolved dramatically over the past few decades. And, while this might not be the shiny gold star we’d like to see for OT at this time, this review is filled with great information to help you provide the best care possible. That, alone, is worth our undivided attention :slight_smile:

Let’s dive in.

High-level background on MS rehab

As you probably know, multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory autoimmune disease affecting the central nervous system (CNS). It occurs when the myelin in the CNS is mistakenly attacked by the body’s own immune system.

MS has an unpredictable disease course with varied patterns or presentations, which are divided into 3 main types:

• Relapsing-remitting (80% of MS cases)
  • Primary-progressive (15% of MS cases)
  • Progressive-relapsing (5% of MS cases)

Per the authors, the goal of MS rehabilitation is to:

“Improve functional independence and enhance participation, with an emphasis on patient education and self-management.”

How does rehab for MS work (per our current understanding)?

While there is no cure for MS, there have been significant advancements in managing its effects. This, in turn, has led to increased survival rates. And, in recent years, a range of rehab interventions have provided increasing evidence of improved patient outcomes.

A quick overview:

Physical therapeutic modalities (such as PT and exercise) have been shown to improve:

• Muscle power and strength
  • Exercise tolerance
  • Mobility-related activities
  • Energy levels (by reducing fatigue)

Possible benefits of physical activity also include:

• Improvement in functional capacity
  • Enhanced cognitive function
  • Enhanced hemodynamic activity
  • Promotion of neuroprotection and neuroplasticity
  • Reduction of long-term disability

Multidisciplinary rehabilitation has supporting evidence for:

• Improvement at the activity and participation level

Other rehabilitation interventions with limited (or no) benefit include:

• Occupational therapy
  • Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
  • Vibration therapy
  • Hippotherapy
  • Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Why was this paper written?

Now, it’s important to note that the findings above came from older reviews, many of which had lower quality of evidence than the Cochrane Review does.

Given the growing body of evidence related to rehab and MS, the authors felt that it was time to write a review of Cochrane Reviews on the topic. Their hope was that the information gleaned could guide clinicians as to which therapies are most effective for treating MS.

What reviews did they find?

The authors included 15 Cochrane Reviews, which, in turn, included 164 randomized control trials (RCTs) and 10,396 people with MS. Because the authors only included Cochrane Reviews, the evidence was considered to be of high quality.

The interventions took place in:

• Ambulatory settings
  • Home-based settings
  • Inpatient rehab settings

How did they measure outcomes?

Here are the outcome measures they found. (And, they happen to be ones you can use in your practice!)

See all MS Assessments

How did they grade the evidence for specific interventions?

Based on their standardized procedures, the author gave the interventions a grade based on the effect of outcomes across studies.

This grade ranged from “very high quality” to “very low quality.” None of the interventions had “very high” quality. This means that new evidence may change the status of the interventions in the future.

Moderate Quality

Physical therapy

• 54 RCTs
  • Inpatient, Ambulatory, Long-Term/Community

Information provision

• 10 RCTs
  • Ambulatory, Long-Term/Community

Multidisciplinary rehab

• 9 RCTs
  • Inpatient and Ambulatory

Low Quality

Neuropsychological intervention

• 20 RCTs

Cognitive rehabilitation

• 16 RCTs
  • Inpatient, Ambulatory

Memory rehabilitation

• 15 RCTs
  • Ambulatory

Spasticity management interventions

• 9 RCTs

Telerehabilitation

• 9 RCTs

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

• 9 RCTs
  • Ambulatory

Dietary Intervention (Polyunsaturated-fatty acids)

• 6 RCTs
  • Ambulatory

Whole body vibration

• 4 RCTs
  • Ambulatory

Vocational Rehabilitation

• 1 RCT
  • Ambulatory

Very Low Quality

Occupational therapy

• 1 RCT, 2 CCTs

Dietary intervention (Vitamin D)

• 1 RCT
  • Ambulatory

So, what did occupational therapy entail in these studies?

At first glance, this looks like pretty dismal news for OT.

But, in digging deeper, you’ll see that two of the trials were based on group energy conservation courses, and one counseling intervention.

The two energy conservation trials reported a beneficial effect, but the methodology of the trials were flawed, which ultimately is what landed OT in the insufficient category.

Authors’ conclusion and recommendations

The authors conclude that MS is a complex condition, which requires tailored, coordinated, long-term, multidisciplinary care.

The evidence in this Cochrane Review supports the strategy recommending varied approaches to rehabilitation. The type and setting of interventions should be individualized based on the patients’ needs. The authors do acknowledge that current evidence should be interpreted cautiously, as available reviews did contain older studies.

In future research around MS and rehab, authors assert that patients’ and caregivers’ perspectives should be incorporated, and associated costs and/or economic benefits of interventions should also be further explored.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(Please note: these are my personal takeaways and were not mentioned specifically in the article.)

1. Overall, MS care is improving—this is good news for our patients.

I think it’s important to pause and acknowledge just how profoundly the care for MS has improved over the past few decades. This article calls this one of the biggest success stories in medicine!

New drugs have transformed the lives of patients with MS, particularly those with relapsing-remitting MS. And, this week’s article demonstrated how the evidence behind the efficacy of rehab has improved over the past decades.

These exciting advances means that our occupational therapy care needs to keep evolving, just as the needs of our patients are evolving.

2. It was a disappointment to see occupational therapy research so underrepresented in this article.

For the many OT practitioners around the globe, who pour their hearts into caring for our MS patients, the underrepresentation of OT research in this article was disheartening. I’m not sure how we’ve arrived at a point where there are 54 PT studies to 1 OT study, but this is certainly a call to action to our profession.

I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments. I’m always interested in how practitioners on the ground can be supporting more OT-related research in this area.

2. There is still a lot in this review that can inform your practice.

To begin with, the authors’ description of rehab felt like a call to action for OTs to become more involved with this population. I mean, could this statement be any more OT??

“Improve functional independence and enhance participation, with an emphasis on patient education and self-management.”

Patient education and self-management are topics that seem to keep coming up in all of our patients with chronic conditions. (Check out our podcast on self-management for more on this.)

And, this article definitely convinced me that, like other neuro and auto-immunce conditions, we need to be talking with our patients about establishing exercise habits. There are certainly unique challenges to exercising with MS, but the potential benefits make it too important to pass up.

Finally, disease-specific assessments like the MS Quality of Life 54 (MSQOL-54) seem like a great way to open up important conversations with your patients.

I’ll be eager to hear about your go-to resources for working with this population in the comments below.

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
Amatya B, Khan F, Galea M. Rehabilitation for people with multiple sclerosis: an overview of Cochrane Reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Jan 14;1(1):CD012732. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD012732.pub2. PMID: 30637728; PMCID: PMC6353175.

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

I think it’s so sad that OT is not considered an effective treatment bc of lack of research. But honestly, who has time for research??? Most clinical OT jobs have such high demands and expectations we can barely keep up with the day to day tasks. So even though we KNOW certain techniques work with certain populations, we can’t “prove” it bc there is no time for research, data collection and analysis. And most people do not want to spend their free time working.
I think OT students are an excellent way to generate research but students lack the experience needed to really dig deeper…
I wonder how PTs are able to generate so much more research than OTs…if only I had time to research it. :wink:

6 Likes

Yes, for the most part I’m usually excited about the OT-related research that is out there. But, this definitely stood out to me as odd.

I’ve been thinking about how I usually try to have practicing clinicians on the podcast- as I think they are the best at relating research to practice. But, next year, I am thinking I should try to find a couple OT researchers to help us understand how we arrive at situations like this and how we can improve in the future.

1 Like

I would love to collect data for research while I practice, but it’s just so hard to find the time and keep organized!

Abby Little, MOT, LOTR
Little Occupational Therapy Services

1 Like

I live in rural Maine and work with a primarily aging population in home health. I typically have at least one person on case load every 2-3 months with MS. I am greatly valued by the HH team and patient because I do a lot of Home Modification with the Pt to keep the Pt as independent as they can be and doing the things they want to do because they have more energy. We are definitely not represented well.
I am also very interested in the gut microbiome research and MS. I believe that the gut biome is going to be a major player in many illnesses, but at this time, only folks that have CDiff can have a fecal transplant. I anticipate that will be changing in the next 10 years.

7 Likes

Sarah, I imagine that a Doctorate OT may be interested in this as a research topic.

2 Likes

I want to point out another direction of how to understand the lack of OT studies. Currently, I’m working with my lab on gathering all the studies done on chronic diseases and we have two articles about MS. One is all OT researchers and the other is a combined project with other researchers. It may explain the absence of OT, but from promoting an integrated approach to research.

6 Likes

Hi @brie!! So cool to hear about your practice! I love that you are such a valued member of the HH team. What do you think has been the biggest factor earning that respect from colleagues and patients?

I am also super interested in gut micro-biome. I’ve read the Wahls Protocol- but this book just felt like the beginning of what we are going to learn about this topic over the next decade.

I can see super target diets and exercise programs becoming a staple in the management of chronic conditions. I would love to see OT position themselves to be a part of this in the upcoming decades!

1 Like

Hi @sivan so great to hear from you!! I like your point that OT is represented in integrated approaches- which is rightly our go-to position versus considering ourselves as siloed practitioners.

There were 9RCTs in this study that looked at multi-disciplinary rehab and would certainly be worth digging into more!

I think in the home health world, OTs are heavily relied on to try to help an individual make their house a home that will support them instead of combat them. I have lots of equipment that I am often introducing the patient to and it really helps them open their eyes to opportunities, even if they don’t pursue the AE right away, they now know it is something that they can consider in their future.
On the Microbiome issue, home made fecal transplants are a thing. I’m not saying I support that, but people are desperate.

2 Likes

Wow, as OTs, we truly learn something new each day! While I dont see DIY fecal transplants being the future of healthcare :slight_smile: , I do agree that our understanding of the microbiome is going to be a major factor in the evolution of health care over the next decades!

I found this scoping review while looking for something else. Cought my eyes because of our discuaaion here!

Éle Quinn & Sinéad M. Hynes (2021) Occupational therapy interventions for multiple sclerosis: A scoping review, Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 28:5, 399-414, DOI: 10.1080/11038128.2020.1786160