Characterizing the daily life, needs, and priorities of adults with autism spectrum disorder

Read Full Text: Characterizing the daily life, needs, and priorities of adults with autism spectrum disorder from Interactive Autism Network data (Free to access)
Journal: Autism
Year Published: 2015
Ranked 46th on our 2015-2020 list of the 100 most influential OT-related articles
CEU Podcast: Supporting Adults on the Spectrum with Meg Proctor

Here’s the dilemma:

The number of adults diagnosed with autism is rising. Yet, we currently have very few evidence-based interventions to offer this population.

We seem to be falling short of truly supporting autistic adults. We need to do better, not just by addressing their challenges, but also by bolstering their unique strengths.

This article is going to push you to think big-picture about the unmet needs of autistic adults—and, hopefully, it will help you address both the challenges and strengths inherent to being neurodivergent in a world that is built for neurotypicals. Our goal is to support you as an OT, so you can help autistic adults live a life they love.

Let’s dive in.

The rising numbers and lacking research

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is one of the more common conditions seen by pediatric occupational therapists. According to the CDC, 1 in 54 children will be diagnosed with ASD!

With some basic extrapolation, that means in about 18 years, 1 in 54 of people headed into adulthood will be diagnosed with autism. But, the difference in attention given to children vs. adults on the spectrum. For example, the CDC didn’t run its first survey of how many US adults are diagnosed with autism until 2017)!

From a funding perspective, things are similarly bleak. Research initiatives examining the unique needs of autistic adults, including the transition from childhood to adulthood, only receive 2% of available research funds from the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee.

The problem with how “outcomes” have historically been categorized

This paper briefly touches on some of the paradigm shifts occurring in how we understand autism and autism supports.

Historically, “outcomes” for this population have been narrowly focused on functional language, independent living, employment, and traditional understanding of social engagement.

With the exception of functional language (which most samples indicate is obtained by about 70-80% of people with autism, the aforementioned outcomes have been reported to be “poor.”

But, maybe we’ve been getting it wrong. Maybe our understanding of quality of life has been too narrow? Maybe we haven’t listened closely enough to the voices of autistic people? Maybe the biggest challenges are actually at the environment/societal level, where we haven’t made enough room for these people’s strengths to shine.

This paper contributes to this paradigm shift by listening to the lived experiences and priorities of autistic individuals:

What was the research question being studied in this paper?

The researchers posed two main questions in their work.

First, they wanted to gain a clearer understanding of the lived experiences of autistic adults in the following areas:

• Education
  • Employment
  • Living situation
  • Financial support
  • Adaptive skills
  • Strengths and special interests
  • Physical and mental health
  • Treatment and service use

The second goal was to understand autistic adults’ priorities regarding future research and funding initiatives.

Who was included in this study?

This study looked at adults on the spectrum. The only inclusionary criteria were:

• Being registered with the Interactive Autism Network (IAN)
  • Being over the age of 18

The respondents were part of two groups. One group contained people who self-responded, while the other group contained subjects whose names were submitted by “legally authorized representatives,” such as parents and caregivers.

The group ended up being markedly different from previously studied cohorts, not only because the majority were women (64%), but also because the majority (73%) weren’t diagnosed until adolescence or adulthood (which implies a cohort of more mildly affected adults).

What outcome measures were used ?

The researchers created their own surveys, which were disseminated through the IAN website.

You can see the surveys here…

What were the results?

This study presented lots of data to sift through, based on the surveys they had participants fill out. Here are some key data sets:

Education and vocation

• About half of those participants who self-reported had paid employment, while the level for those whose legal guardians responded was closer to a quarter.
  • Interestingly, both groups (self-reporting at 72% and legal guardian group reporting at 43%) reported wanting more work hours.
  • 42% of the self-report group and 20% of the legal representatives group reported facing discrimination in the work place.

Residential settings and financial support

• In the self-reporting group, about 20% lived independently, and 47% reported living with a spouse or partner.
  • In the legal guardian group, about only about 7% lived alone, with most living with their parents.

Abilities and special interests

• One thing that was super interesting was that respondents (particularly in the self-reporting group) were able to identify their strengths that supported them in work, education, and hobbies. Some examples of these skills include:
    • Ability to intensely focus
    • Honesty
    • Creativity
    • Good memory
    • Sense of justice

Co-occurring health conditions and treatments

• The percentage of respondents reporting co-occurring health conditions, particularly mental and emotional health conditions, was very high.
  • About 75% of those in the self-reporting group reported anxiety or depression. There were also physical conditions reported, including challenges with sleep, allergies, and intestinal issues.

Priorities for future research

Respondents were also asked to rank their priorities for future research. Some highest priorities included:

• Understanding and acceptance of autism by the general population
  • How to improve the life skills of people with autism
  • Mental and emotional health in people with autism

What did the authors conclude/discuss?

The authors made it clear that funding and future research in this area need to focus on vocational engagement, understanding of the condition by the larger population, and mental and emotional health. These weren’t just the areas the authors felt were most important—these were also the self-reported priorities of autistic adults.

The authors also stressed that people on the spectrum (and their families) need to be part of the decision-making process, when it comes to research funding, moving forward.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(These are our personal takeaways and were not mentioned specifically in the paper.)

1. This is yet another call to balance our general OT approach with condition-specific considerations—all while listening to the unique individual in front of us.

The priorities listed by the survey participants really align with our OT skill set. After all, we are heavyweights in vocational training, workplace readiness, community education, and holistic interventions. Plus, we are the only members of the rehab team with a unique understanding of mental health conditions.

So, this paper really felt like a call-to-action to use your general OT approach, but also to take into consideration the unique comorbidities, challenges, and strengths of autistic adults. And, above all else, to listen to the patient in front of you.

(I’ll be eager to hear the thoughts and experiences of members who have worked with this population.)

2. Increasing understanding and acceptance starts with examining ourselves.

It really hit home for me that one of the most important goals of this community (like every community!) is simply “understanding and acceptance.” This, I’m sure, is directed at therapists too. We need to continually look at our own attitudes and assumptions. One of my favorite pieces of OT writing is from Kristie Patten, the department chair at NYU OT. I call it her “I was wrong speech.” I encourage you to read it in full, but here’s a great snippet:

“By listening, I realized I was wrong. We do not build our lives on remediated weakness, why are we expecting those we serve to build their lives on remediated weaknesses? We define and study lack of empathy in autistic individuals without even examining our own lack of empathy towards the autistic way of being.”

3. It can feel like “peds people” and “adult people” operate in two different worlds. But, we need to build a bridge in order to best meet the needs of autistic adults.

There is a push within healthcare to increase collaboration between professions, because it simply makes sense that this would lead to better outcomes.

But, this article brings to mind the need to build bridges even within our profession. Sometimes, “peds therapists” and “adult therapists’’ operate so differently that our work almost feels foreign to each other.

We tend to peg people who primarily work with autistic patients as “peds therapists.” But, to truly meet the needs of this population (and all populations), we all need to be paying attention to practice advances outside just the populations we tend to treat. We need to move toward a place in our profession where a therapist working in an inpatient setting is just as equipped to meet the unique needs of someone on the spectrum as would a school therapist.

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:

Gotham, K., Marvin, A. R., Taylor, J. L., Warren, Z., Anderson, C. M., Law, P. A., . . . Lipkin, P. H. (2015). Characterizing the daily life, needs, and priorities of adults with autism spectrum disorder from Interactive Autism Network data. Autism, 19(7), 794-804. doi:10.1177/1362361315583818

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with autism expert (and Club member!), Meg Proctor. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

1 Like

As an OT working with pre-teen/teen individuals on the spectrum, I am aware of the often poor outcomes as adults. As I develop my treatment plans and goals, I try to identify what skills are requisite for these individuals to actively participate and engage in important occupations. In researching this topic, it appears that stigma and discrimination in the workplace is a barrier to employment. As OTs, we might need to begin addressing this issue as advocates but also educating employers about ASD, and making modifications/adaptations that are a legal requirement. I believe this falls under the category of occupational justice.

6 Likes

This article does an excellent job identifying what real life concerns related to living with autism as an adult, particularly feeling inadequately prepared to participate as ‘expected’ in employment settings. I spent 20 plus years working as a pediatric OT with Students with autism, and know that many of the skills typically addressed : self-regulation, social skill development and motor skill development, were geared towards meeting developmentally relevant occupations. As individuals with autism develop over time, the life demands shift and change. I had opportunity to follow several children through their unique process of growing and adapting to ever changing life demands. Generalizing skills from one situation to the next was one of the more consistent challenges that I found myself addressing with this population. I think that in addition to advocating for individuals with autism in the workforce, OT may also be appropriate as an ongoing adjunct mental health support service in order to facilitate successful participation across the life span. How can we increase our presence as mental health providers- educate referring physician’s to address the anxiety and depression concerns with OT!

8 Likes

The article does a nice job of pointing out what is really important in dealing with adults on the spectrum. “Listening to the patient in front of you” and focusing on the strengths of these individuals rather than weaknesses is really important as explained so beautifully by Dr. Patten in her “I was wrong” speech. Thinking about how our assessments are designed, we do zero in on the patient’s deficits and not so much on what aspects they are strong in (something to think about).
Sarah, I agree with you that as OTs, we do separate ourselves into “peds” and “adults”. I see that in my students as well who will tell me in the first semester that they want to do only peds or only adults and so need not focus on the other.
The social aspect is very important as the individuals on the spectrum grow and have adult needs. For those that are interested to watch, there is a beautiful and eye-opening (at least for me) series on Netflix called “Love on the spectrum” depicting the dating scene for adults on the spectrum and how they are trained for it. There is a social worker helping them but I thought that an OT practitioner would be very suited for this role. Any thoughts?
Thanks for another different and thought-provoking article.

4 Likes

This is a much needed article and topic that hits home to what I feel has been a change needed for a while. Not only do I believe that a strengths-based approach is important (especially when looking for the best fit for employment) but as we move forward as OTs and working with all of our clients.

The question and call to action I have for this article and how do we get more support for OTs working with this role and knowing our value from an administrative, insurance and government standpoint.

I think pediatric therapists can easily continue seeing clients that are older but often I see the hesitation or uncertainty kick in when a client older than 14 comes into an outpatient clinic. I think that we should be working to help the transition process and absolutely listening to our clients for their motivations and interests and helping them match job opportunities as well as supporting any IADL/ADLs adaptations to support independence in the preferred living space of the individual.

I wonder what it would look like for OTs to be community-based supports to help the transition process. I know there are a ton of non-profits working on this transition gap but they will usually hire habilitation aides or students and do not always have the funding or see the value in having a full-time OT to assess or create a plan. I’m hopeful there are other organizations or OTs out there doing this work and work love to hear more about it!

6 Likes

Hi Sanchala,
I need to look up the Netflix series to better understand the training for the dating adults on the spectrum. But an OTP would be an excellent person to be involved for sure!

2 Likes

Hello Katie,
I agree with you about the strengths based approach. There is an OT named Meg Proctor who has a lot of information on strengths based approaches with people with ASD. https://www.learnplaythrive.com/ She has some free and some paid trainings. The free one I did was excellent.
I have worked with clients with ASD from ages 2-26 and see a huge need for more OTPs to get involved. I focused my doctoral research on post secondary transition. I contributed to an AOTA PPT on this topic called The Role of Occupational Therapy in Postsecondary Transition Planning which is free for members at https://www.aota.org/-/media/Corporate/Files/Secure/Practice/Children/Role-Postsecondary-Transition-Planning-Presentation.pdf
There is so much that OTPs have to offer with TP and with clients with ASD!

5 Likes

Hey @tee and all! I am actually interviewing Meg Proctor (@meg2) to discuss this article for our next CEU course, which hopefully will come out next week! I can’t wait to pick her brain. If you have any specific questions for her, let me know by tomorrow afternoon (12/8).

Also, @tee, thanks for your work with AOTA on this! What a robust powerpoint!

If anyone is interested in Meg’s podcast, I’ve learned a lot from the episodes I’ve listened to! Here’s an episode with Dr. Kristie Patten, who I mentioned above:

And, here’s the episode I’m listening to today with fellow Club member, Sarah Selvaggi Hernandez (@sarah13) who is an occupational therapist and educator working to promote an intentional identity-first approach to autism and OT:

3 Likes

I appreciate the data reported by this article and agree that more research is needed, especially in the area of mental & emotional well-being and it’s profound impact /correlation to achieving perceived success or higher qualities of life. However, OTis not formally recognized /identified by the mental health community as “qualified related mental health practitioners”.

As a profession, more needs to be done in this area to educate the highest levels of the psychiatric community (nationally & internationally) so that partnerships for meaningful research can be established. Especially with the disparity of services to treat those with mental health difficulties, it’s more important than ever for OTs to be acknowledged and utilized as the well-equipped service providers that we are in this field!

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this article! I’m currently working on a research project aimed at adults with I/DD and focusing on health care engagement. Something we are finding, unfortunately, very frequently is that many adults with I/DD do not feel supported by their doctors AT ALL. We as OTs know that health promotion and management is an IADL - something that all individuals have the right to access and engage in - so how can we support and encourage individuals in this population to become health care self-advocates.

I also appreciate your charge to “Peds” and “Adult” therapists to bridge services and focus more explicitly on the needs of the client, especially as that means expanding our understanding and skillset to better serve a diverse range of clients. I was recently chatting with an incoming OT student and giving her some advice on the OT schooling process. This individual also dubbed herself a “peds person” and we had a lengthy conversation about how OT schooling truly prepares us to be an OT generalist. I think that over time it’s easy to get pidgeon-holed into our settings and focus purely on that setting, which I hope I make myself clear, isn’t necessarily a bad thing! But I think it’s also just as valuable to remember that we have been trained as “generalists” and our profession is so unique and wonderful in our ability to assess, treat and encourage ALL types of people across the lifespan. Great article, Sarah, and exciting discussion thus far. Looking forward to the podcast. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sarah, I’d love to know from your and Meg’s perspective, how individuals with ASD have been affected by the pandemic, specifically related to health, wellness and QOL. Through my research, which is in collaboration with Special Olympics, we’ve been hearing how the pandemic has impacted their ability to engage in SO-related events which naturally is affecting physical, social and mental health. Just interested to hear if she had anything relevant on that topic when y’all chat.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Interesting article I enjoyed reading, it prompts me to increase my focus in this area. As well as the points raised, my experience working with adults and teens on the spectrum is the vulnerability and difficulty they face in interpersonal and sexual relationships due to difficulty reading social cues and being able to conceptualise another’s motivations. Due to most adults, especially women being misdiagnosed and missing out on early intervention. In my experience it has left them vulnerable not only to bullying but also unhealthy sexual relationships and sexual predators. Intimate relationships is something not to be ignored in adult ASD populations.
I wonder if difficulty in this area is under reported due to shame.

6 Likes

Keep the Change (2018) is a delightful and authentic film about two autistic young people who find love. The film takes place in New York. I saw the film at a Jewish Film Festival. I believe it is available on Amazon.

4 Likes

Katie, I agree that working within these agencies would be a perfect fit for occupational therapy. The occupational therapist and occupational therapy assistant working together to create client-centered goals and interventions would be an exciting method of meeting these transitions and adult needs of individuals with autism or autistic individuals depending if the person feels the connection with autism and prefers the second reference.
There is much more coming out of other research regarding the mental health of youth with disabilities and more particularly the youth with autism. I listened last week to a podcast on ‘Glass half full’ with Dr. Anne Kirby who discussed her research supporting OT’s role in screening and addressing youth suicide.

Tee, OT practitioners are stepping up to the plate with transitions but there is a long way to go. In NC, the school-based occupational therapy practitioner does not have a seat at this table unless they are serving the child by IEP. As a former school-based practitioner there were so many life skills and IADL’s not addressed that I found the lack of a seat at the table frustrating. But, the research is strong that post-secondary transition is a good fit for our skills. As a faculty member of a local community college and occupational therapy assistant program, we are finding ways to support the programs on campus that have many of the students who have aged out of school-based services. COVID brought our efforts to a halt, but we plan to continue this program using the OTA students.
Sarah, a great article full of things to discuss. Sanchala, I agree with you and the article that supports OT practitioners in the use of a client-centered approach that focuses on the client’s strengths cannot be said enough.

5 Likes

The show Love on the Spectrum has gotten a pretty lukewarm reception at best from many autistic adults. Especially because of the role of the parents and the infantilizing aspects. That said, if an OT were taking on that role I’d LOVE to see them have a stronger understanding of neurodiversity than the woman on the show had. Autism has its own culture. And when autistic people are asked to mask their autism, it leads to poor mental health and higher rates of suicide. Teaching neurodiverse people the social skills expected of neurotypical people is not kind or effective at helping them find authentic connection. It’s also a bit of cultural imperialism.

5 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So glad you enjoyed the free training!

2 Likes

Hey @meg2 and @sanchala! I’m glad you brought this up because I’ve been thinking a lot about representation in films and shows! (Partially because I’m watching the Happiest Season- ha!)

I had heard from several therapists that they enjoyed Love on the Spectrum. I think that this review, does a really great job of fleshing out some of the issues you brought up, but also being generous to some strengths of the show, compared to different dating shows.

While watching shows and reading books can never fully replace the need to be listening to person in front of us. I do think they are helpful tool in helping us expand our perspective taking skills. @meg2, are there any books or shows you would recommend to people?

And, thank you again @sanchala for bringing this up!!! I think it fits well into the theme, that a huge part of the work that needs to be done is actually on ourselves as therapists- and pushing ourselves to always be learning and growing! (@sanchala, you are someone who does this really well, and I really admire your commitment to learning and growing!!)

2 Likes

Wow ! Good article, excellent review and excellent responses by all.
It’s all very personal for me cos I have an adult son with ASD. What a roller coaster ride it’s been for both of us !
I’ve raised him, cared for him since he was 9 years old after he lost his biological mother. He was Dxd with ASD in his later teens. Father is a very good provider but mostly in denial re the ASD. It is what it is.
I kept a hawk’s eye on my son. And he clung to me, knowing that I was the only one who understood and accepted. As best as I could ofcourse-often I laughed and cried with frustration wanting to pull my hair out at times.
I am not sure if I planned to be a ‘generalist’ but I sure turned out to be one-having worked in several areas of specialization, in several states and also overseas. And with me, my boy travelled too. He received therapies at several different locations, diff mind sets/approaches, diff accents etc. His education never stopped through all these changes. Hats off to him and his resilience !
He/we have participated in ‘all of the above’ very patiently and hopefully. He has had to struggle through every phase of his life. Faced a lot of social rejection due to his ‘strange’ ways. (Ofcourse there were some kind souls who accepted him for what he was/is)Yet, he kept getting progressively more and more independent.
He is now living by himself in Dallas, TX working for EPA as a Grants Management Specialist. He was taken on-board in the special category-schedule A. For his 6 months review he got a :heavy_check_mark: in all the boxes and the final comment said : Fully Sucessful :grinning:
Hope there are no hiccups in the future on the job front.
Regarding love, he yearns to get married and have somebody to live with and share his life. He has tried talking, dating etc and bungled it up several times.
In life, at the end of the day, it’s love that makes all the difference. Every human being needs to experience love-to love and be loved. Hopefully he will experience it.

5 Likes

Hi @sridevi! You are so good at bringing topics to a personal level, because you’ve led such a rich life!!!

I was definitely thinking as I was writing this about how this isn’t just a topic for our professional lives, it impacts our personal lives as well. Almost all of us have a friend/family member who is on the spectrum.

Spending time with this topic this week really felt like it is pushing me to be a better human, not just a better professional. Working to increase our understanding and acceptance is an important step in making our world into a better place for all.