Caseload and Workload: Current Trends in School-Based Practice Across the United States

Read Full Text: Caseload and Workload: Current Trends in School-Based Practice Across the United States (This is a paid article, but we still thought it was important to cover.)
Journal: The American Journal of Occupational Therapy
Year Published: 2020
CEU Podcast: School-based OT Workload Trends with Jayson Davies (CE Course)

I was not expecting an article on OT caseloads to contain some of the most revolutionary concepts we’ve seen in the Club.

The article encourages school-based OTs to shift away from an individual, medical model “caseload” approach in favor of a “workload” approach—which hypothetically opens the door for greater focus on population health.

Is this a pipe dream? Or is it a real opportunity? Whatever your thoughts as you start reading this article, you will walk away with some concrete insights on how school OTs are spending their time—versus how they wish they were spending their time.

I’m so excited to talk about this on next week’s podcast with Jayson Davies, M.A., OTR/L, of the OT School House!

Let’s dive in.

Intro to caseload versus workload

The caseload-based treatment paradigm is pretty straightforward. This model is built around the number of clients you, as the practitioner, treat directly.

The workload-based paradigm, on the other hand, puts equal focus on ALL of the activities you do to support students—directly as well as indirectly. Instead of simply considering the number of students on your caseload, this model accounts for the time you spend documenting, attending IEP meetings, visiting classrooms, etc. This paradigm also allows you to expand your role beyond direct treatment in order to provide interventions that have an indirect impact on students, such as:

What research and writing has been done on the workload paradigm?

I’m going to take a little creative liberty in telling the story of this section, so please correct me in the comments if you believe my perspective is off base. Here’s how I understand the history of the “workload” discussion.

In 2004, Congress made many changes to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), opening the way for things like:

The law also mandated support in the least restrictive environment (LRE).

This pushed therapists to consider providing their services IN the classroom. The legislative changes also provided avenues for therapists to work with the entire population as part of a screening process—and to improve curriculums (so ideally, fewer children would need services).

In response, national organizations started releasing statements about shifting our paradigm for school-based therapies to “workload.” That way, we could spend our time with entire school populations, target groups, AND individual students.

The idea was that a workload approach would be the model most likely to ensure compliance with IDEA 2004 requirements as well as state and local mandates. This led to the publication of statements like these:

These organizations and other entities eventually released guidelines for calculating workload:

This time period also saw the rise of the 3:1 service delivery model, where therapists spend three weeks delivering traditional services followed by one week of indirect services.

Let’s get real: Barriers to switching to a workload paradigm

Despite the national conversation that was going on around workload, there were barriers to actually making this paradigm shift. These included:

• High caseload numbers
  • Differing perceptions of how therapists should spend their time
  • Decreased administrative support
  • Lack of resources

But overall, there is simply a lack of information out there to really understand the current practice patterns of OTs and the factors that have limited their ability to implement a workload approach—which leads us to this paper.

What was the purpose of this paper?

The intent of this paper was to examine the practice trends of elementary, middle, and high school OT practitioners across the US. The authors sought to explore:

• Caseload size
  • Caseload attributes
  • Workload responsibilities
  • Involvement in whole-school programming
  • Current service delivery models
  • Knowledge of state and local policy
  • Attempts to implement new models of practice
  • Job satisfaction

What were the methods?

The authors used a researcher-designed online survey. Questions were informed by a literature review and this qualitative study about the perceptions of a workload-based approach.

The survey was distributed via social media and state associations.

What were the results?

541 practitioners began the survey, and 371 completed it. Here are some of the main results.

Information about the practitioners:

479 were OTs; 44 were OTAs.

• 86% were full-time
  • 70% were hired directly by their school district
  • 82% worked in a public elementary school

Information about their caseload:

Full-time practitioners averaged a caseload of 41–50. (Interestingly, 41–50 was also the most common caseload for part-time practitioners).

Here’s the percentage of full-time practitioners who reported having each of the following caseload ranges:

• 1.75% — 11-20 students
  • 13% — 21-30 students
  • 19% — 31-40 students
  • 22% — 41-50 students
  • 15.75% — 51-60 students
  • 11.50% — 61-70 students
  • 8.25% — 71-80 students
  • 1.50% — 81-90 students
  • 2.75% — 91-100 students
  • 1.25% — 101-110 students
  • 0.75% — 111-120 students
  • 2.50% — >120 students

(Note: Due to rounding, percentages may not total 100.)

Practitioner perceptions of their caseload numbers:

• 60% indicated that the number of students on their caseload was UNREASONABLE.
  • 55% reported they were NOT able to provide services mandated by IEPs due to other responsibilities.
  • 61% believed they did NOT have clear guidelines governing the number of students an individual practitioner should have on their caseload.
  • 64% felt they had a great deal of influence on decisions around setting service mandates for students on their caseload.

Most frequently delivered services:

Participants ranked services according to how frequently they provided each one. Services are listed below from highest frequency rate to lowest frequency rate:.

• 64% — Nonintegrated pull-out
  • 23% — Integrated push-in
  • 19% — 3:1 model (3 wk/month on traditional services; 1 wk/month on indirect services)
  • 16% — Consultation or collaboration
  • 9% — Coaching
  • 8% — Block scheduling
  • 3% — Telehealth

Workload versus caseload:

Here’s the breakdown of approaches reported by practitioners:

• 45% — blended workload/caseload approach
  • 33% — caseload approach
  • 20% — workload approach

Interestingly, 76% indicated a desire to use a workload approach.

Below is the percentage of practitioners who reported performing each listed activity as part of their workload. (Practitioners were able to select all that applied.)

• 99.22% — Documentation
  • 98.96% — Direct student intervention
  • 97.41% — Staff consultation
  • 94.04% — Report writing
  • 91.71% — Scheduling
  • 91.19% — Evaluations and re-evaluations
  • 89.90% — Team meetings
  • 82.12% — Student observations
  • 80.83% — Travel between sites
  • 75.91% — Family or caregiver consult
  • 75.65% — Professional development
  • 75.65% — Screenings
  • 75.39% — Material development
  • 74.61% — Medicaid paperwork
  • 70.98% — Staff education
  • 69.95% — Behavioral support
  • 63.21% — Committee on Special Education meetings
  • 41.19% — Participation in events (e.g., back-to-school night)
  • 40.41% — Outside provider consult
  • 39.64% — Multi-tiered systems of support
  • 21.24% — Advocacy
  • 18.13% — Research
  • 17.62% — Participation in school committees
  • 11.92% — Grant writing

(Note. Survey respondents were able to select multiple responses.)

Transitioning to a workload approach:

61% of practitioners indicated they had advocated for the transition to a workload approach, but that their efforts were UNSUCCESSFUL.

Of those who advocated for this transition:

• 66% talked to administrators and other stakeholders
  • 41% provided evidence to administrators and stakeholders

Barriers reported included:

• 51% — Lack of administrative support
  • 48% — High caseload numbers
  • 39% — Lack of time
  • 35% — Uncertainty over how to make the transition

Job satisfaction:

77% of practitioners reported feeling very satisfied or somewhat satisfied with their current job. Here were the top-reported factors to increase their job satisfaction:

• 55% — Lower caseload numbers
  • 50% — Better salary and benefits
  • 36% — More resources
  • 29% — Fewer workload responsibilities
  • 22% — More opportunities for professional development

Conclusions and discussion

OT practitioners have a high level of interest in moving to a workload approach, and 20% of those surveyed have done so already.

While OTs feel they have a great deal of influence on IEP recommendations, their efforts to change their system of work to a workload approach have been less successful. This may indicate that their influence is strongest within the current system.

Because advocacy at the local and district levels has met so much resistance, more state and federal advocacy may be needed.

Another interesting takeaway from this research was that 64% of OT practitioners still use pull-out services as their primary service approach, even though best practice guidelines encourage integrated push-in services. The authors cite the following article from SIS Quarterly as a reference for those interested in getting started with push-in services:

Implementing contextually based services: Where do we begin

Implications for OT practitioners

The authors indicate that this study has the following implications for OT practitioners in the school setting:

• OTs need more resources and training in advocacy and evidence-based practice.
  • Advocacy efforts must be directed toward state and federal policy making agencies.
  • Further research is needed to demonstrate improved student and practitioner outcomes through the use of both workload and contextually based service delivery models.

Takeaways for OT practitioners

(Please note: These are my personal takeaways. They are not mentioned specifically in the article.)

1. This is a revolutionary move away from the medical model.

Call it what you want—workload, 3:1 service delivery, RTS, MLSS, or MTSS. The important thing is that all of these models encourage OT practitioners to take the hard-earned knowledge they’ve gained from working with individuals and apply it at the population level.

This pushes us to look at the upstream causes of the issues we are seeing—and to spend some of our time addressing them. (Ideally in a way that leads to fewer students ending up on our caseloads.)

I love the theory behind this strategy—and I think school-based OTs are uniquely poised to test the effectiveness of this approach.

IDEA seems to encourage this type of practice. And because reimbursement for school-based OT isn’t closely tied to the hours spent with clients—as is the case for many OTs in the traditional medical model—they are better able to adopt this truly holistic approach!

The change to workload may not be happening as swiftly as many would like, but make no mistake—a quiet revolution in how OTs approach their care is in the works!

2. The theory behind this approach seems solid, but more evidence is needed.

As I combed through the citations in this article, they certainly skewed toward opinion pieces, position statements, and online surveys. What I really wanted to see were some traditional research studies that objectively demonstrate how this approach helps the kids we are serving.

I wanted to know: when practitioners did SUCCESSFULLY advocate for a move to a workload approach, what evidence did they use?

Please, fill me in if I am missing any landmark studies behind workload, RTI, or MTSS! I may have focused too narrowly on OT research—and I’d love to keep the conversation going.

Here’s the full APA citation for this article:
Seruya, F. M., &; Garfinkel, M. (2020). Caseload and workload: Current trends in school-based practice across the United States. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 74(5).

Earn one hour of continuing education by listening to the podcast on this article!!

In this podcast episode, we dive even deeper into this topic, with OT (and Club member!), Jayson Davies. You may be eligible for continuing education credit for listening to this podcast. Please read our course page for more details!

What questions/thoughts does this article raise for you?

As a parent whose child has utilized both outpatient and school services, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you for sharing your thoughts on this article!! I am going to cut right to the chase on what I believe what may be solutions and why:

1. consultant delivery model for districts, businesses, and corporations is part of our service delivery model in the OTPF4: from a workload perspective that fits right in but it seems there’s not enough support for OTs to truly harness this power and effectively wield it from a small community or population health level. In fact, this parallels the troubles cited by a different article where OTs believed sleep hygiene and participation should definitely by addressed but lacked the educational/practitioner support to implement through practitioner & evidence based research.

Solution: follow APTA model on rolling out both top down and bottom up efforts. Top down is policy. We have another barrier, because the percentage of OTs who are members of their state OT organization AND engage in policy writing (or have access by knowing the right people or obtaining the knowledge) are low. Bottom up: advocating effectively includes admins and stakeholders but the layout of advocations may be weak. I won’t name names, but I have been disappointed by lack of clarity, evidence based research, and sustainable development in two community presentations for workload approach. OTs who can network and support each other by reviewing for editing might be helpful - we all learn differently and have different strengths. We can give ourselves grace by presenting with strong 30/60/90 day plans that are difficult to argue against. Yes, make sure to have the tools to be successful to carry out the mission… different ballgame. We could use more successful practitioner and larger evidence based research to support workload model.
Further research for Paid documentation time alone is worth expounding upon for other OT settings, too.

7 Likes

I believe in push in services, but struggled to implement. Many special education teachers want students removed from the classroom to get a “break”. In addition, I could not figure out how to find time to schedule with teachers who had students going in and out of general education all day. I see the role of occupational therapy at a crossroads, BCBA’s have no mandated service delivery times/evaluation responsibilities. They are taking over many of the traditional occupational therapy interventions. School administrators are looking for behavioral “fixes” and ABA is becoming the answer. I worry that the role of school occupational therapy will continue to be marginalized, something has to change!

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about your comment all day, @kathyrn2. I think you did a good job expressing the reality on the ground. We are at a crossroads, where we need to band together and put forth a compelling argument for our services.

And, to clarify I’m saying this not because I think we should promote OT at all costs. I think the evidence behind OT pediatric interventions is compelling. I’m so curious why ABA continues to gain grounds when everywhere you turn there is new publications against compliance based treatments. Literally just got this new JAMA article in my email today:

2 Likes

Oooo, @pj1 ! I love your solution format. I’m going to keep riffing on it.

1.) We need rebrand this discussion/movement. “Workload” simply isnt intuitive/compelling. If I’m in administration I don’t want to set up a meeting about workload :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:! We need to call it something like “Every Student Succeeds with OT.” :slight_smile:

2.) We need to get really good at grant writing. I just talked to my friend who works for the Nebraska Public School Foundation- and she said they are actively looking for things like Tier 1&2 approaches they can fund a pilot of, with the long term intent spreading programs that work across the state.

3.) We need to step outside of OT literature. I keep hearing there isn’t evidence for an OT workload approach. To me, this means we need to expand our searching to find the evidence that supports RtI and MTSS. Someone needs to make an OT friendly review of the literature out there. (Or help us find the one that exists :-))

4 Likes

I retired last year after 15 years in four different school districts. We have gone from OT as a valued service to team meetings with parents and teachers that include BCBA but not IEP team members, SLP excluded as well. Parents of autistic student with significant sensory needs who valued OT kept requesting OT attendance. Many parents aren’t even aware of the issue. Very discouraging, wish AOTA would help advocate.

1 Like

Great article! I work primarily in early intervention and there is a growing shift there as well to look at some of these ‘workload’ ideas - of course not all.
I think this article brings me back to a thought I always have around OT - we need to continue to do more research to back up what we know works for our clients. We get the impact of working on a population level (seems like a duh statement) but we need more research to support it! My soapbox is if we want to sit at the table with the big boys, we have to get a seat by playing their game.
Also, I know personally and I wonder if other OTs feel this way, I am GREAT at advocating for my clients 1:1. I will go to bat for any of them in IFSPs, with doctors, teachers, etc. But when it comes to a more macro approach, advocating with high level administrators, or at the legislative/policy level, I’m not always as eloquent. I find I can’t always find the data to back up what I want to say, etc. I would love to see training initiatives around general advocation etc, which I think could impact so many things.
Lastly I know about 3 OTs who have all done Capstones on workload/caseload - more reason to love the catalog started here at OT Potential!

3 Likes

I absolutely agree regarding BCBAs. I find in my practice area there is a LOT of encroachment. I also find that behaviorists are amazing at ticking the research box, which is a page we can take from their book.

2 Likes

A lot of the most recent research on school based OT treatment and services including this article about Caseload and Workload led to a lot of frustration as a school based therapist, especially as someone who was the sole OT for the district. Reading about what the best practice/most effective options but being repeatedly unsuccessful with bringing about change can definitely wear a person out and lead to burnout. Without support and changes coming at the federal and state level as well as strong administrative support, it was a losing battle. Clearly most of the survey respondents felt the same, with 61% of practitioners advocating for these changes unsuccessfully. In some districts, OT is deemed the fine motor/handwriting support person and they are stuck in that box. It is so exciting to read about the potential benefits of these projected changes that sound so encouraging and so deflating/defeating to feel ‘stuck’ with the old, out dated, less effective methods of practice. For me personally, that ‘stuck’ feeling led me to switch practice settings this year which has worked out wonderfully but I do hope for the sake of OT’s future, especially those school based practitioners, stronger advocacy/support for these changes comes into play.

4 Likes

These episodes on the OT SchoolHouse Podcast relate well to this article.

OT and Collaborative Services: https://www.otschoolhouse.com/single-post/otsh-85

Summary of School-based Workload Capstone Project: https://www.otschoolhouse.com/single-post/otsh-81

3 Likes

Hi Sarah,
As part of my Capstone Project, I completed a brief literature review that can be found here [Sarah Rhoads E-Portfolio, OTD/S]. Every Moment Counts also published an article on the effectiveness of the Comfortable Cafeteria Program, which can be found [The Comfortable Cafeteria Program for Promoting Student Participation and Enjoyment: An Outcome Study - PMC].

3 Likes

School based OT here, I have so much to talk about surrounding this topic, but will try to crystalize my thoughts so I don’t go on and on! Wish this was a “live” discusion- there is so much to discuss! I have been reviewing the research to support top down, push in, MTSS/RTI supports. What i have noted so far, is that pushing in to model and provide services in the classrooms is very well suppoted by teachers with research showing better outcomes as the teacher then carried through with the modeled strategies. Teachers also had increased positive views of OT. I have also been looking outside the OT journals to the education literature base for studies to support how MTSS supports in younger grades can then lead to less OT evaluation referrals and less need for 1:1 OT in subsequet years. This is especially important with the trend of incoming kinder students struggling with the fine motor demands of kindergarten, and with students of all ages strughling with self regulation. Often whole class or groups provided in the classroom environment benefit so many more students than would be referred for an OT evaluation. It can be a really pro- active approach to service! This is a huge shift from the older ways of pulling students out to a therapy room ( or hall way) and as with any paradigm shift it happens slowly and in stages, but can be such an exciting way for us to meet the needs of our districts in a comprehensive and thoughtful way, with better outcomes while also remaining cost effective. I’ll pause for now and look forward to replying to others’ posts for this great discussion. The one caveat i will add, is that I realize that within the broad group of school based therapists, our situations can differ greatly with some many variables that impact each therapist’s ability to shift to a more push in/ top down model. Thanks for reading my lengthy post, and I’ll see you in the comments :slight_smile: :smiley:

4 Likes

Please excuse all the typos and auto corrections that resulted in grammar and spelling oddities! Typed this all out on my phone with my sub par near vision, LOL!!!

2 Likes

Ha! Wow! I think you did great for typing on a phone!

I’m super curious if there are any specific articles that you found to be particularly helpful, @Pollywallace? I’m working on a public facing blog post about school OT that I could share them to potentially reach lots of people?

Great stuff in there, @sarah63!

I thought these two references were really helpful! Did you find any articles related to multi-tiered systems of support?

Interventions within the scope of occupational therapy to improve children’s academic participation: a systematic review.

A systematic review of occupational therapy intervention for handwriting skills in 4-6 year old children.

1 Like

Jennifer- how do you know so many capstone projects?!! You are in the know :slight_smile: If you’re still in touch with them, encourage them to share them with us. @sarah63- I’m curious if you got to see other capstone projects on workload before you started yours?

1 Like

I have been fortunate, in that my district only calls in BCBA support after they feel they have exhausted all other options. I have been quietly building a resource list about the negative impacts of compliance based approaches and am trying to lead my teams toward becoming neurodiversity affirming. My cooperative also has an Autism team that can support teachers/team members with tools/ strategies/ supports and resources- and when this support is provided BEFORE children are so overwhelmed and “behaviors” have escalated to where staff feel totally lost, we have great success to avoid the need for admin to request a BCBA to perform a behavior assessment. I am hoping these behind the scenes quiet changes help to move away from ABA!

2 Likes

I will go through and pull out what I have so far and share!

2 Likes

THANK YOU, @Pollywallace! You are doing great and needed work at you school.