#80: Advocacy in Pelvic Health with Lindsey Vestal, Carlin Reaume, Alyson Stover

Take the Quiz to get 1 CEU

Listen: Apple | Spotify | YouTube
Full Course Details: Public course page
Learn more about our guests: Carlin Reaume OTD, OTR/L, DipACLM, PMH-C, PCES, Lindsey Vestal OTR/L, Alyson Stover MOT, JD, OTR/L, BCP

As the healthcare policy landscape grows increasingly complex, we as OT professionals need collective mobilization like never before.

But, it often feels like our advocacy systems are difficult to navigate — and our lobbying efforts are underfunded.

Against this backdrop, which can seem discouraging, I think it is critical to shine a light on what I consider one of the greatest OT triumphs of the past decade:

Our breakthrough into pelvic health.

This is a story of grassroots organization, individual thought leadership, Facebook groups, podcasts, phone calls, and coordinated collaboration at the individual, state, and national levels.

We are thrilled to have 3 leaders from this movement, Alyson Stover, Carlin Reaume and Lindsey Vestal. Each has played a unique role in this movement and are here to share what they’ve learned from the wins and fails along the way. Ultimately, we hope this story and conversation helps you reflect on your role in advocacy in this new era.

:white_check_mark: Agenda

• 00:00:00 Intro
  • 00:04:13 Intro to Alyson Stover and Lindsey Vestal
  • 00:07:45 Alyson’s vision for OT in Pelvic Health
  • 00:15:21 Why this practice area has taken off
  • 00:17:44 Lindsey reflections and advice on being a trailblazer
  • 00:22:44 Carlin’s reflection and advice on state-level advocacy
  • 00:26:21 Alyson’s reflection and advice on federal-level advocacy
  • 00:32:52 How do grassroots movements get started?
  • 00:36:35 How do state level position paper’s get off the ground
  • 00:40:05 Pros and cons of state-level position papers
  • 00:42:46 Current landscape of national movement around pelvic health
  • 00:48:27 Why was OT was not included in H.R. 2480 Optimizing Postpartum Outcomes Act of 2023
  • 00:51:47 Hopes for OT advocacy (pelvic health or broader) in the next 5 years
  • 00:56:10 Simplest steps that someone could take TODAY, to become a better OT advocate

:white_check_mark: Supplemental Resources

Ep80-AOTA-Badge

:white_check_mark: Review %open%

After earning your certificate, please consider taking a moment to answer the following three questions:

1.) On a scale of 1-5 please indicate the degree to which the learning objectives were met.

0 voters

2.) Please rate our instructors on a scale of 1-5.

0 voters

3.) On a scale of 1-5, please rate the learning environment of the Club.

0 voters

Please share any other feedback below! Including, ideas for future programming, and most importantly, how you feel this podcast will impact your practice!

Thank you, @lindsey6 @carlin and @alyson3 for this conversation!!

As I re-listened I got tears in my eyes at the end, I think from hearing all of the passion shared over this hour!

1 Like

I am an acute care therapist and will bring this to my team. It could really inspire someone!

1 Like

This was so inspiring :+1:t5:

1 Like

Agree! We are seeing huge momentum with this practice area!!